Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

I mean this guy is maintaining his own gcc fork so it’s still a Very Special Case

so having both done this and written an 8-bit emulator and looked at the asm that was actually in production use

the vast, vast, vast majority of games written for those systems are hilariously unoptimized, hardly anybody’s a Treasure or a Rare. even Square really wasn’t that special

memory and register bottlenecking is the biggest problem and if you’re aware of the limitations of those then compilers can do the grunt work for you

4 Likes

That looks… big.

Honestly if nobody in both vidcon marketing and development ever used the word “epic” again that’d be great

2 Likes

I can tell you how it works

KEY COMPLAINT NOTES FROM FIRST GAME INCLUDED:

• short campaign
  • unresolved story
  • lack of progression
  • small world

KEY MARKET RESEARCH INDICATES:

• avg length of time spent on game directly correlates to sales

THEREFORE:

• make game bigger
  • make focus of marketing promises the shoring up of perceived weaknesses in first product

EXTRA-SECRET JUICY GOSSIP

• the narrative director of Horizon: Zero Dawn worked at this studio on Shadow of War; left over differences with creative director; was pushing for slow-burn, more character-driven tone. He lost that fight!
    ** bonus note: Horizon is near-fatally slow for the first 10 hours! but does get a payoff when the worldbuilding finally kicks in later
7 Likes

I’m responsible for balance, progression, loot, and a slice of combat

I wish I knew more about what hours 40, 80, 200 looked like~~~ but I have my spreadsheets and the tiniest playtest expeditions to guide me

5 Likes

coming back to optimization in the olden days of games, basically i think what i’m getting at is: imo what separated the successful devs from the rest was that they knew their limitations better than the rest. ambition wasn’t the key; understanding their limits was.

this is, i think, a really key aspect of learning to dev games in general. because i’m especially bad at that and have been overbuilding for years.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t it? I’d be cool if people just forgot that word for a couple decades.

2 Likes

So, I don’t know how much of this you can answer based on what you know or are allowed to talk about but I’m wondering is the game world made up of several different open world areas, like the two from the first one, or is it all one big area that’s freely traversable?

These are the questions the open world fandom want to know.

yes

2 Likes

3 Likes

that looks a lot like teleglitch

play teleglitch!

3 Likes

That ape game looks better than doom2d aesthetically, thematically, and mechanically.

Also re:Flinthook I still can’t unsee KKK hook. Ugh.

No but this is why I liked it better than other ACalikes though

Every game that uses “epic” in marketing materials should be required to include an extremely long poem that must be recited, in meter, every single time you start the game. It gets longer every time you save.

Come to think of it a game where the save format is literally an epic poem you have to recite would be incredible

8 Likes

I really liked the feature in King of Dragon Pass where you can export a saga of your clan at any time and it almost reads like a legit saga.

2 Likes

Usually a bad saga tho. I am not good at that game.

2 Likes

The frog fraction parts of the Noclip mystery game documentary have been released over the past few days and they’re naturally wonderful

1 Like

I’ve been looking forward to this for a while; very happy the release date is soon

http://www.thedragonstrap.com/blog/

Ohhhh, Dragon’s Trap, not Dragon Strap

:smirk_cat:

2 Likes

The Boy with the Dragon Strap

7 Likes