Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

1 Like

A guy was telling me about this last night. Exciting!

ohhhh shit yes

6 Likes

My cats are definitely sluggy

Anyway, hooray

yo

1 Like

that looks extremely not bad! konjak better release iconoclasts soon!

missionary kings kind of didnā€™t care enough mechanically but wizorb was real good so Iā€™ll give them the benefit of the doubt

I didnā€™t know how much I wanted this

4 Likes

Will there be a ladyskin this time?

you better believe thatā€™s how I played through the first game

ask me again closer to launch

1 Like

Whoa it is really coming out! That is great!

You canā€™t seem to preorder it off of Steam yet but itā€™s going for Ā£16 on PSN with a 20% discount applicable if youā€™re a PS+ member.

Apparently this has been around for a while but news to me. Fascinating.

6 Likes

wow!! I didnā€™t even know that you could get good enough performance out of C code on 16-bit consoles; maybe 68k compilers are just really, really good?

Iā€™ve played around a bit with writing stuff in C for the NES, even, and I think you could get pretty deep into things before you need to write assembly (aside from maybe your music driver). Todayā€™s bad compiler is still probably way better at optimizing than your average bad assembly coder.

1 Like

from the looks of things, itā€™s based on a fork of gcc

gcc optimizer is probably better than a human in anything that c can do, tbh

I would assume so too but I always hear about 8 and 16 bit code being written directly in asm for speed reasons so I was curious

Good compilers, and development hardware powerful enough to make them practical, were a lot harder to come by two or three decades ago than they are now. Isnā€™t many orders of magnitude more powerful wonderful?