Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

See, I keep thinking that, but then I remember that it’ll come with more multiplayer and I get that ME3 multiplayer itch.

See I had assumed that that stuff was all just for the trailer

World of Darkness visual novels, eh?

They apparently suck, which isnt surprising because Zak S is involved and everything he touches turns to screechy idiot shit

I probably shouldnt name him directly, dude vanity searches his name in order to start internet tough guy fights more often than icyclam

2 Likes

was literally on my way here to say “so apparently this dude’s a douche”

quoted from tumbl:

Bonus points: one of the characters who appears in the interactive fiction in question is a trans woman serial killer who constantly talks about her penis and just happens to have the same name as a prominent trans tabletop RPG designer that [S] has gone after in the past.

so yeah don’t buy

4 Likes

actually appreciate content warnings like that a lot, a friend was interested but backed off once i passed that along

2 Likes

I looked this up and it’s not the transwoman I thought it would be (he has coincidentally harassed a lot of transwomen for someone who insists that he is definitely not transphobic (he’s also harassed me but only slightly. I am on a public enemies list that he’s made))

this looks cool and stuff but I am the only one exhausted by this aesthetic?

Nah, I am starting to get there. I mean, I kinda still like it sometimes, but I also find myself not as enthuiastic about it as I once might have been.

Maybe I wouldn’t say exhausted, but it definitely feels dated to me. I thought the same thing when I started a new game of Hyper Light Drifter a few weeks ago.

1. New Nifflas Game!!
  2. This reminds me of Lyle in Cube Sector
  3. Can I not just, like, buy games now? Do I have to get a subscription to Humble Monthly to get this new, original game?
1 Like

Think of it as, like, subscribing to old magazines that came with games on tape or diskette. Minus some dork’s opinions. Make your own dorky opinions! I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Honestly my only disappointment with HM so far has been that I’ve made the mistake of already having bought the games they send me oops! They pick out neat things. I’ve been subscribed for some four or five months, I think.

Edit: I was wrong, I’ve been subscribed for ten months. Oh god time dilation!

That’s the problem, thoughhh. Also the exclusives are essentially pre-orders for indie games. Gross.

I will agree that I’ve never been comfortable with the concept of pre-orders. It’s a business practice I can’t see as anything but sleazy, really. I like supporting indie experiments, though. If Humble would let me put more of my subscription monies into indie support, like how they let you decide to portioning of your donations, I’d be happier about it.

I’ve gotten far more positive surprises than negative, but your mileage is gonna vary for that. Especially if you regularly buy games. If you don’t, and you have varied taste, I think it’s a good investment. I’m also a bit of a child at heart and love the concept of packaging contrasting genres together for “mixtapes”, which these bundles seem to be very deliberate about.

2 Likes

Hmm, it seems I was much more cynical about this than seems necessary. I don’t like subscription services like this usually, but this sounds like a pretty neat idea. I might try it for a month, at least to get NEW NIFFLAS GAME YEAHH

1 Like

Whaaaat HLD is in no way a kitschy 80s callback. I mean except insofar as it has pixel art??

Hey y’all Southern Monsters’s kickstarter campaign is down to three remaining days. It’s 2K over it’s goal of 8K, and it’s been greenlit on Steam (just before they removed the greenlight system too, I guess). If you want to get in on this, now’s the time. Since it passed a certain stretch goal, if you pledge 15 bucks you’ll get a special sasquatch-themed romance novel ebook as a bonus. :slight_smile:

I’m soooo pumped for this game.

1 Like

I mean, if you squint hard enough you could view it as a game that you can buy for $12 and get a handful of other bonus games tossed in for free.

1 Like
3 Likes