Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

1 Like

I remember this! Really neat little comic creator.

I am installing this the moment I get home

11 Likes

someone has been watching Witcher 3 trailers

1 Like

Redcoat shoots amazingly slow running magical-indigenous person: the (amazingly badly titled) game?

1 Like

I use lefty scissors! I also eat ambidextrously with fork and knife because I defaulted to one way anf my mother tried to force the other way. I cant remember which one is supposed to be left or right hand. I switch utensils in my hands often when I eat.

So Polygon put up a video about Oh, Deer! in February’s Humble Monthly but there’s no way to get it now.

:waynestare:

1 Like

Humble Monthly exclusives cause me a low grade panic attack every time I think about them.

1 Like

i think Etiquette Says you are supposed to cut with the right hand then switch hands and fork with the right hand as well. i just knife with my left hand, seems fine

I was endlessly informed before going there that Central Europe has a strong norm in favor of not switching fork hands, whichever side one favors.

surprised nobody’s linked this yet but: Next game from the FTL devs was announced, and it’s some sort of front missiony mecha proc-gen srpg: http://subsetgames.com/itb.html

the music is pretty rad too, Prunty’s improved a lot since FTL

Yay!

I’ve jokingly named FTL as my GOTY for 5 years now, but I have a secret.

It wasn’t a joke.

I’m not even going to watch a trailer, I am going to buy this the second it comes out.

1 Like

FTL has some kind of serious design cheap spots but it’s really really likable

I got to the end boss the first time I played the game and was like “oh, so this is how it works” and never played it again.

It’s the moment to moment stuff that I love. The end boss is kinda meh, right? But I turned this on for 15 minutes yesterday and accidentally killed a human I named Clint by trying to get him to repair the broken oxygen module, but the oxygen in there had all burned away from a fire so he suffocated. Oops.

Plus the soundtrack is utterly fantastic.

Sure, I get that.

I dunno, emergence is one of those dragon-chases in videogames that all start to feel the same after a while. The only way to make that interesting to me any more is to have such a level of procedurality that I start to prefer reading summaries to actually playing the game (Dwarf Fortress, roguelikes). Otherwise I prefer a conversation with the designer, whether that’s via narrative or puzzles or action setpieces or whatever.

4 Likes

True emergence is turing complete