Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

This infuriated me twenty years ago playing Thief on a keyboard and I can’t believe there isn’t a non-hacky fix yet.

Something like this keyboard with analog WASD keys sounds closer but I really want to see something ergonomic, like a nunchuk + mouse combo. (I know, I’m sure this can be set up, but I just revert to gamepad anyway).

the future of gaming

1 Like

fuk u left handed people

I’m left handed but I never tried to use a mouse that way because it seemed unnatural

yeah, I’m lefthanded and just use mouse in the right hand

1 Like

same

Some people are more strongly-handed than others, of course

Blizzard should fix the aim assist like you mentioned earlier. That’s entirely within their control. Buff, don’t nerf, right?

The platforms should decline to break compatibility with the unlicensed assistive devices for a minority of players in one game or do the players with disabilities right by allowing assistive device configuration options (eventually including other input devices e.g. pedals, IR gestures).

I don’t know how they could make it to where only players with disabilities could use them. Perhaps if they flag them for software developers to exclude from ranked play nobody would want to use them. That’s a compromise. I would prefer that they allow any input device that has enough buttons for the game, but their business is partially based on licensing new controllers and they historically inconsistently support old controllers e.g. PS3 sticks only work if the developer elected to use a third party driver, Rock Band instruments need weird adapters over plain USB on Xbones.

I’m skeptical that they’re going to do right by accessibility over their licensing, and I would personally put the baseline accessibility concern over the ranked play “wall” if the ball was in my court. I think it’s a much worse time for players with disabilities to be unable to play at all than for ranked competitive players to contend with opponents with these devices.

Everyone is within their rights to complain about any piece of software. I’m frustrated by the Overwatch players who are dismissive of this objection. This hit a nerve, sorry y’all.

1 Like

i assume you mean well by this comment but even the phrasing here is validating ~pro~ gamers as bigger fans than those with disabilities

1 Like

Oh my!!!

hating your fans and helping the disabled aren’t mutually exclusive :slight_smile:

I was mostly being flippant about how all creators ought to hate their fans & didn’t intend to tie it directly to the second clause. but point taken.

1 Like

From the people who brought you Fuller House…

“die monster. u dont belong in this world.”
“how rude”
:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

now I wish it was literally this so they would bring back the alucard from captain n

3 Likes

hey

that show is rad ok

1 Like

ooh, i dunno, Warren Ellis apparently wrote the entire first season

Much as I like Ellis, uh…

Huh.

Ok yeah I’ll check it out

Yeah me too, doesn’t everyone though? Does anybody really use left handed scissors?

My buddy’s little brother is a lefty and a bigtime gamer and he definitely puts his mouse on the left side. Uses middle finger for LMB.

seems there were a bunch of new mid-budget titles announced/demoed this week, from what I’ve seen go by eurogamer and RPS’ twitter feeds.