Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

I would feel better about MS doing this if Sony hadn’t already done it before them (on the PS4 and the Vita, that system no one cares about) and that they had some of the functionality of remapping and messing with the sticks locked behind the Elite

Oh, I haven’t found those options on PS4 & Vita.

My understanding was that the Elite’s controller mapping was recently rolled into the Xbox UI as a core OS app.

Man, I was briefly hyped during that Super Lovely Planet trailer… and then the ball had to fall. That gravity looks bad, and that’s potentially a game killer for any kind of platformer.

The PS4 support was put in around mid-2015-ish? My issue with how MS handled it is that customization was locked behind a 150 buck controller instead of being an OS-level thing like how Sony did it.

Just looked it up, that’s awesome. I missed that.

I thought Microsoft had a small win, but I guess it tracks with everything else Xbox post-2007.

I’m still waiting for Within a Deep Forest 3D

2 Likes

Playing shootmans on a pad seems barbaric to me and I am far from disabled

Not a fan of FPS with sticks myself, but what’s barbaric is console FPS games that don’t even let you adjust stick sensitivity.

same here, moving in this game just doesn’t look enjoyable

artdink!

3 Likes
5 Likes
  • regarding this whole keyboard+mouse <=> pad discussion:

idk when this started happening, but Project Cars feels like it never was designed to be played with a pad. Sure, you can do it, and I did, but 40 minutes in a LMP2 on Le Mans (AI-drivers set to 75%, and I was pretty much battling the track and car, not any AI car) was the best I could muster, no matter how much I tried to cope with the controls.

Got a wheel last year, second or third lap on Le Mans, same car, went faster than ever before, and recently managed to eek out a 4th place finish in class (again, same car, same track. AI set to 73% though, to account for my co-driver having his second race ever in Prj Cars and first race in a LMP2/on Le Mans)

=> tl;dr:
racing games nowadays make you feel you need a wheel.
That’s a bit harder to do in them shootmans, I guess?

Yeah, controller settings for car games have a similar pedigree between companies as, say, Bungie’s FPS controls. It’s not the underlying simulation, it’s the design of concepts similar to aim-assist. It doesn’t surprise me that a company geared to PC and hardcore would have an underdeveloped pad model.

sorry for being completely wrong about this btw, I think on some level it’s still unfathomable to me that people could care that much about competitive videogames

1 Like

That’s more or less how I feel about sports

I still bristle at the accusation of bad faith but I’m only looking at it as an outsider weighing a minority’s accessibility versus the majority of folks having a bad time some of the time.

1 Like

But it’s not the majority of folks having a bad time some of the time, it’s just another minority of people having a bad time all of the time. The top end of the ranked ladder is dominated by keyboard/mouse players, and if you are trying to play on controller, you hit a wall where you are at a severe disadvantage.

So the question is, of the two minorities, which is worth more to you as Blizzard? Do you value the input of your most dedicated players or do you value the goodwill of assistive device users?

any decent individual should hate their fans and try to help the disabled

5 Likes

Whereas the non-analogue movement of WASD has always felt awkward and stuff as hell to me, and never won’t. But aiming does feel a bit better in a mouse so I usually try to decides high is more important for any given game and go with that.

Nah it’s nunchuck for moving and gun for shoot like Metroid Prime Wii

1 Like