Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

neko atsume movie lol

3 Likes

there’s also a nagging question I’ve had for the second half of the (gaming) year 2016:

August XBoneSlim
September: PSlim4
October: PSVR
November PS4Pro

games:
nov-december alone:
titanfall 2 (or was that a very late october release?)
Watchdogz2
Pokemans Sun/Moon
Dish honored 2
Collarduty IW
FFXV
last guardian

… and it surely didn’t help that DX:MD released in august (as a Summer game? really?)

So, I assume the publishers surely didn’t delay releases for fixing stuff because they are so nice to us folks, it rather looks like they had to release in Q4 for financial reasons™ and that meant cramming those titles in a two month period, some less than two weeks apart.
Still, didn’t anyone take a look and decide “let’s move it to 2017, because there’s basically nothing in sight until march” … idk whether GRush2 was delayed based on that sentiment, but if it’d had stuck to its release date, it’d have tanked from the get go.

So, that begs for most of those titles going to the bargain bin in early 2017/not being bought.
Friends of mine were raving on about how they want to play XV, LG and them pokken, but ended up buying one, and by the time they moved on (from XV/pokken respectively), LG/Wdogz2 prices have been slashed already … and who can blame people for not buying 5 games at full price when they can only manage to finish one or two in that time frame? And then there’s that odd “christmas” thing going on as well, where you surely aren’t spending all your buxxx for them gemz when you splurged on VR and a PS4 pro.

on a serious note tho, I feel like those games getting pushed into Q4 + more and more games getting rolling releases/updates like e.g. XV (that patches _story_ so late _(literally)_ in the game) as a sign that it'd be about time to rethink the AAA release mechanism in place. Maybe it's feature creep, maybe the PS4 Pro, but this does not bode well if they continue like that.

…… epilogue:
two months later, nintendo switch launches, every month a killer-game is released and all's well, the usual "AAA is ___dooooomed, i tell ye!" rant #57438 kthxbye

January 2017:
Gravity Rush 2
Yakuza 0
Resident Evil 7

so two small games and a recovering big one moved to within a three-week period and they’re all games SB is semi-interested in (or: the best of Japan is relegated to slinking around big Western releases)

Still, we’re getting fewer big-ish releases during the holiday than ever before, they are just each straining to be an all-consuming-for-months game because that is received wisdom for AAA success.

1 Like

woah, totally forgot RE7 and Yakuza, both basically a title you’d have on your list if, say, collarduty wasn’t your thing.

neither of these is in any way small though, that’s the thing

these have had massive dev cycles with enormous teams by some standards

Trust me they are stratified in the rareified world of AAA publishing, as in:

• they were at most hoping for $50m in sales, so they’re really considered AA
  • their production budgets were significantly smaller than games shooting for AAA – look at the frivolities like enormous amounts of cutscenes, voice acting, this is how AAA burns money. You can see Yakuza 0 in particular cutting corners on voice acting and cutscene animation and crowd behaviors all over the place, the budget of it is constrained more than a Nintendo title. (Not that it is material to the game!)

apparently an anime pack-in is the next great megaman

i wonder how many jp devs saw shovel knight and thought “…shit, we can do that”

edit: seems like it’s from these dudes

2 Likes

Double Dragon 4 is, regrettably, not that great. Also, bad screen tearing on PS4.

is it just me that’s really uninterested in extreme visual minimalism in games now? it was novel around the time indie boom but it’s kind of a pointless thing to make into a bulletpoint by now.

that said, it’s really pretty! the soft lighting and colors and music are all really good

also it appears to be trying a sort of puzzle-troid thing in the way The Witness did, in that the gating mechanism is your own understanding of the concepts? where’s the piss jar

It reminds me very much of this indie game that was being put up as an installation at a lot of shows, which actually ran on a strip on LED lights.

I’m too lazy to look to see if there’s an actual connection between the devs of each, though.

3 Likes

Those are some lush animations and butts

1 Like

Those sound effects…!!

1 Like

selectbutton.net
where’s the piss jar

2 Likes

SMT Nocturne HardType patch

HMMMM

1 Like

(yes, Luck did almost nothing in the original game…)

D:
my whole life is a lie

the only actual stat in the game is Speed

jokes but honestly

1 Like

i couldve sworn luck had an effect on more stuff :
i might have just been retroactively applying knowledge from 4 tho…
which most of that hack sounds like it’s trying to emulate (half-turns for switching demons in + shared experience by default are good additions ive missed when replaying Nocturne)