Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

I’m sure the marvel games will have decent enough AAA polish and just ok enough mechanics but I hope it’ll be less rote than nuTomb Raider. If it’s gonna be an ensemble game at least there will be reasons to have variety to the gameplay.

Given that Marvel and Disney are a team now, this means KH4 Mahvel v. Disnay v. Sqware 1 is all but confirmed.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have minded seeing Square put their two best studios (IO and Avalanche) on this. the other two have been too rote this gen, I agree.

1 Like
3 Likes

This is kinda great but also Bimmy and Jimmy’s sprites are kind of awful. The style isn’t nearly as solid as the Kunio games.

Also shut up I spelled those names correctly.

with a name like bimmy no wonder he’s always punching people

as if it wasn’t demeaning enough that they’re already consigned to be a hitman factory

New Hitman no Subtitle is probably one of the best games this “generation” (Can we even call it a generation anymore?) tho’

I mean, we can all be salty they won’t do a Kane and Lynch with the same episodic format, but that game is something special. Canning it because of a Marvel deal would be insane while it’s growing in popularity and press coverage would be the most “Square dumb” decision yet.

Ironically frothing at Kingdom Hearts 3 being the biggest aesthetic/cohesive pop culture nightmare imaginable with the addition of Marvel and Star Wars characters/worlds.

I want Nomura to go buck wild on his new canvas of brands.

5 Likes

please??

4 Likes

Some of the early ramifications:

Much of this remaining story was once intended for Mankind Divided, Eurogamer has heard, until the game grew too large in scope and had to be curtailed. (Even with this, Mankind Divided’s development took five years).

quelle surprise

The game was the most seam-showing AAA-trainwreck I’ve seen in a long, long time. And it didn’t sell anywhere near what it needed.

1 Like

The best X-COM game is free for the next two days

Play it with OpenXCOM and the music pack from the PS1 version!

3 Likes

yeah I just played the thing cause I feel compelled to pirate every denuvo cracked game out of spite whether it’s interesting to me. in the tutorial you have all your robot powers and there’s a gunfight in a sandstorm and then the actual game was so boring and routine and halfassed.

It’s really bad! how much time they spend talking about locations the way you do to foreshadow and then you never get there! I was legitimately surprised because that’s just not how it’s done.

Even then, it took me 40+ hours to finish. So I assume they looked at stats like that and said, “it’s not like players aren’t getting a full game out of it”, but they had neutered any sense of globe-trotting adventure or conspiracy playout the series relies upon.

pretty much every AAA sequel got middling reviews and sold like a stone last year though, it was fascinating

not attributable to piracy or install base either

that bomberman R box art though

FFXII The Zodiac Age Japanese release date announced: 7/13.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/345/G034509/20170131022/

more importantly:

6 Likes

Came out about 15 minutes ago. Looks pretty rad, has local co-op as well.

1 Like

I’m down with Super Paper Mega Man