MUWT 2: The Quickening

I also really like how despite the characters all being highly competent and the movie being way too dementedly self assured to want to say much of anything about coping with failure or any of that, at least two thirds of its runtime are dedicated to fucking up worse and worse

Narcissists innnnnn spaaaaaaace

Coincidentally it also takes that long before you finally stop bracing yourself against the certain fear that itā€™s going to rip off 2001 and then once you finally drop your guard itā€™s like ā€œGUESS WHAT BUDDYā€

Unfortunately Christopher Nolan died prior to completing the film and the last ten minutes had to be directed by Richard Linklater

1 Like

What if Carl Sagan played with action figures

1 Like

Christopher Nolan is The Reddit Filmmaker, he made a fascist Batman movie about the War on Terror where Batman stood in for George W Bush, and every time he tries to do an imaginative visual effect in a movie itā€™s just big things folding.

• Inception: Big city folds over on itself!

• Interstellar: Big planet folds over on itself! Little robots fold over on themselves! Black hole folds over on itself!

• Memento: The movieā€™s editing folds over on itself!

All this being said, Interstellar was stupid in a fun way for once, instead of stupid in a boring or cruel way like much of his other work.

3 Likes

A recent addition to Netflix was Storks. The main plotline is told to you every step of the way by the characters, probably because itā€™s a kids movie instead of a general audience one. The ideas on the side are rather surprisingly intelligent and lowkey (barring the biological imperative one of ā€œkids! Awwwā€ which was rather uncomfortable): spending time with your kids when theyā€™re young, ditching the Amazon-standin, parents are parents no matter what combination it is.

Also the wolf-pack was silly and dumb and god damn it they were fun to watch.

I remember being surprised by how amusing one of the trailers for that movie was.

I just saw BlackkKlansman. It was very good! I was hoping Spike Lee was good again, and Iā€™m happy to report that, at least for the moment, he is good.

If I may be a parody of myself for one secondā€¦ I was disappointed that he sanitized the marxism right out of the Black Panthers in this movie. Still, it was awesome to see them treated as a force for good (even if they didnā€™t really get to do anything in it).

There were a few very strangely edited moments where Iā€™m not sure exactly what he was going for. During Kwame Tureā€™s speech, the super expressionist shots of peopleā€™s faces as they listened, I was not sure how to read that. They all had these expressions of passive innocence, it was weird. I was worried that he was trying to show people getting radicalized in a negative light, but maybe it was neutral or even positive? Unclear.

I also wasnā€™t sure what he was trying to do by inter-cutting the scenes of the klan meeting and Black Panther meeting. He was drawing a parallel of some sort, and I was very worried that he was trying to ā€œboth sidesā€ it, but in the end I really didnā€™t get that impression.

I felt the ending was a bit obvious (though probably less so if you havenā€™t been paying attention to politics lately) but intense as hell and played very well, especially in a theater. My heart was pounding.

A lot to digest in this movie. I recommend it.

I watched Jurassic World.

It reminded me a lot of Rampage. I liked Rampage better. It had less loose ends. But I did still like Jurassic World. You know, as a popcorn flick. And I still like looking at dinos in green places.

I also watched Tully. Which is a pretty raw look at having kids in a relationship which is all but flatlined. Itā€™s well made and I think a lot of people of many ages, would appreciate it.
There is a moment where it kinda goes weird pretty quickly and then just keeps moving on. But youā€™ll be ok in the end.

I watched Sicario the first and now Iā€™m looking at Palladium boots again
Also hope Villeneuve and Deakins keep working together

2 Likes

Mirai no Mirai is bad. I like the previous Studio Chizu movies a lot! 3 minutes in I knew I didnā€™t like it and nothing changed my mind. If you have to see it watch it dubbed. The 19 year old girl they got to voice Gun-chan is grating and irritating. I can only hope it is more watchable with a different cast.

Very light spoilers I guess a 5 year old had to learn how not to be a 5 year old? The journeyā€™s goal is pretty flimsy and the venettes to get there are all spoiled in the trailer.

Like there is a greater theme but Bakemono no Koā€™s family is what you make of it and Wolf Childrenā€™s A Motherā€™s love never falters and Summer Warsā€™s whatever the fuck are better and stronger films.

s.f.w. (so fucking what) is good but too heterosexual.

nihilism v. naivety was THE conflict of the 90ā€™s

jake busey looks like beavis and butthead at the same time

sfw-6

3 Likes

I just watched The Hateful Eight for the first time, really glad I didnā€™t go out of my way to see it when it was out in theaters, itā€™s such a miserable movie. Itā€™s beautifully shot and scene by scene the acting and script are great, but itā€™s just 3 hours of ultraviolence and extremely reprehensible people with a really disturbing, unsatisfying ending.

Normally I am kind of a Tarantino apologist but this is the first of his movies that just didnā€™t really work for me even on the first viewing. (Inglourious Basterds I loved the first time I saw it, but the second time found it kind of irritating)

Itā€™s like heā€™s trying to create this kind of old timey cinematic experience, with the 70 mm cinematography and Morricone score, but forgot that 3 hour epic movies like that sort of depend on creating a world that the audience actually feels compelled to keep living in. I mean I guess you could argue that itā€™s one of those movies that is like, subverting audience expectations or whatever, but in this case the only thing it is subverting is my expectation that it would be a good movie.

6 Likes

pretty sure Russell is playing my dad in that movie

4 Likes

I canā€™t get over Kurt Russell destroying that 150 yr old guitar

3 Likes

Iā€™ve told this story before but I had somehow convinced myself it would be The Thing with cowboys and it is certainly not that.

Highlight of the movie was everyone trying to count the characters during intermission

2 Likes

Yeah, I only really like 3 or 4 Tarantino movies. Inglorious Bastards is one of them. And I still enjoyed it after 3 or so viewings.

I was tryna watch Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom while visiting my Mom and Step-dad. But a boat sank in the local harbor. My Step-dad works for the port, so he got called to go help.

Obviously, it was the mosasaurus!

1 Like

I saw The Muppets. I am beginning to think my entire impression of the muppets being based on Christmas Carol and Treasure Island was maybe a mistake because while this got a few laughs out of me I was stoned faced most of the way. It had more jokes than The Great Muppet Caper at least.

Halfway through a stinkbug flew by and having a yelling argument about what to do about it with the wife was honestly the highlight.

Now uhh. This boxset has Muppets Most Wanted left so hereā€™s hoping a movie widely thought of as not as good as a movie I didnā€™t like is enjoyable.

Then i guess I will steal Muppets Take Manhattan and In Space unless yā€™all tell me it ainā€™t worth it.

Edit if it wasnā€™t clear I think Christmas Carol and Treasure Island are fantastic.

3 Likes

I really love the first Muppet Movie (admittedly thatā€™s like 50% at least the Paul Williams songs). The two sequels I donā€™t know as well. Iā€™ve seen Muppet Christmas Carol more than any of them and itā€™s hands-down my favorite. Muppet Treasure Island is also very good, if not as great.

Muppets from Space and the recent ones were attempts at some imagined ā€œreturn to formā€ to the Henson era, I gather, but are just not that funny. (Admittedly still havenā€™t seen Muppets Most Wanted.)