MUWT 2: The Quickening

I guess the opposite reading is that this is the consequence of Christopher Nolan trying to make a family movie

like there are so many shots of the stupid robot even

I thought it was emotionally successful in the face of its obvious stupidity, which is like: I’ll take it

1 Like

yeah I don’t have a problem with that calculus, it’s more just like, what is this artifact even doing here

that it was made during the 18 month window within which McConaughey was taking himself seriously is but one of the many unlikely conditions that obtained

I was emotionally overwhelmed when I thought McConaughey was going to die in that black hole.

Within five minutes I was in full “come the fuck on” and by the end credits I wanted to throttle Chris Nolan for thinking he could handle normal human beings interacting to express their normal human emotions on screen, etc.

(also say it with me: Several Scenes Ruin Themselves With Excess Dialogue)

3 Likes

Certainly all movies about space should be this intensely earnest and three hours long and have geometrically correct torus rendering but this is still far easier to love than makes sense

It’s the most expensive Movie You Would Be Happy To Watch On An Airplane that could possibly exist

I really liked everything about Interstellar up to the point where it turns into a movie about how the power of love can transcend space time or something and after that it just falls apart

But I will still always have a soft spot for this movie for the way it recognizes the pure chaos and joy that can result from having matt damon show up unannounced for a totally bonkers cameo

3 Likes

My only real problems with interstellar, was the whole segment with Matt Damon’s character and how they spent very little time on the guy who stayed behind on the ship, during the water planet.

it’s not actually as weird as if, like, Terence Malick were hired to direct a planetarium welcome video and just watched one Voyager DVD to prepare for the gig, but it sort of is

God I love how overwritten the dialogue is at the expense of everything else

It’s so dilated

1 Like

Anne Hathaway is on some Donald Kaufman shit in this movie

the schoolteacher thinking the moon landings are fake is based on marion cotilliard :sob:

1 Like

at what point when you’re planning on having Matt Damon show up 90 minutes into your movie and having people call him DOCTOR MANN does your long suffering producer spouse try to find you a new batman movie to work on

this is like, by far my favourite Nolan film, I cannot get over this shit

4 Likes

It’s because he’s named after nolan’s hero michael mann that’s why he was “the best among us”

1 Like

Topher Grace plays an audience surrogate but specifically one who didn’t see the first half of the movie

Thinking the moon landings are fake is dumb yes, but I’m still going to hit nolan with a pipe and steal both his wallets if I ever run into him for mocking marion cotillard

1 Like

It’s just sitting there, begging to be punned and yet…
(It’s because of TIME DILATION)

just a couple of guys horsing around on a glacier

Damn it Felix loving Interstellar was my thing get your own thing.

The more the editing tries to do the parallel narrative thing the more jarring and nonsensical it gets

I love how McConaughey’s daughter is a genius and his son is a total dipshit

The unwieldly platitudes the characters communicate with are soooo dumb but kind of adorable and the scale of the thing keeps colliding with all these small dumb moments it’s amazing.

It’s just like broad strokes of feeling, and when I try to confront the movie on an intellectual level it disarms me with its goofy earnestness.

1 Like

Interstellar makes me sob uncontrolably ten out of ten.

1 Like