MUWT 2: The Quickening

And so as the head of old SB is chopped off, so must neo SB absorb its power

So talk about the movies you watched in this movies-you-watched general and defeat the purpose of this board

I just finished up watching Jurassic World. it was… okay. it just seemed so, I guess lifeless? like, the stakes are way higher than the original because there’s 22,000 warm bodies at the park, but it never feels tense. things just kinda happen and the plot is just there to move from one scene of carnage to the next. and honestly, I felt more sympathy for Raptor Squad than I did any of the humans in the story.

man, why couldn’t we get the raptor commando sequel. now that shit is high concept

In a better universe, the Raptor Squad from this movie would lay the groundwork for the dino-commando plotline to be recycled for Jurassic 5: Not the Band

I saw IN THE HEART OF THE SEA.

Tulpa plays Herman Melville in an awful framing subplot that supposes a COVER UP of the TRUTH behind the Essex disaster.

Otherwise it’s nice when it’s building a sort of impressionistic idea of life at sea a’whalin (visually it sort of reminds me of a Mike Mignola comic in its accrual of small details in closeup to build atmosphere) and terrible when anyone exchanges dialogue for more than fifteen seconds.

Not as bad a product as I expected from the hands of M. Howard.

For period whaling fetishists only?

I haven’t seen a lot of Howard films, but I was really impressed by Rush. Did you see that one?

I just watched Creed last night. It needs to win some sort of award for editing

I kind of checked out on Howard post-A Beautiful Mind. The fragments I’ve seen since then haven’t been encouraging.

It’s just that I’m a period whaling fetishist.

I watched 2/3rd of Jurassic World on a plane with the fiance. It was dumb.

Trainwreck was pretty good entertaining stuff that means I’m on board with Amy Schumer.

Dr. No was a C+ with potential. You see why they made more movies based on that movie. Based on my adult James Bond viewing experience I can’t imagine the emotions of someone trying to watch them all in order. Like A View To A Kill was a bad movie, but I don’t feel like a lot of the pre-Craig films are that much better in tone or excitement levels. I thought OHMSS tried to hit an emotional note or two, but it also has the vaginas of the world buffet and a never ending ski chase. I have a hardtime going for emotion when they are also dealing with these goofy and ridiculous and man’s man man man moments. There is a whole bunch of them on Hulu+ now so when I get sick of my dumb art films I will check out another Bond.

The Man Who Left His Will On Camera was 100% student art film. It didn’t make a lot sense. It had almost zero pacing. A woman gets raped 4 times. It is completely emotionless. I kept thinking how Japanese Summer Double Suicide was the same sort of thing, but way better (and same director.)

Drunken Angel is Kurosawa and 1948 Tokyo. I liked all the use of black and the heavy heavy scars from the war. There is a scene right at the end where a woman cries, and it is pure absolute grief. It made me think about how everyone on that set an in that film had that grief inside them. You didn’t need an actor. The war’s wounds were so fresh and everywhere. The movie was whatever though. I’ve never super enjoyed a Kurosawa. Or an Ozu.

If the skichase and it’s aftermath in OHMSS doesn’t do anything for you then you are a monster

I watched Escape from LA this morning. It wasn’t as bad as I remembered, and it’s occasionally decent. The special effects haven’t aged well at all, but once I got over that, it went better. Carpenter just feels like he has no idea what to do when he gets a lot of money to make something, but there are still some fun things to be seen.

Spectre is editted.

From Russia with Love is the highlight of the Connery era by far. Classy Hitchcock pastiche and the misogyny is muted compared to say, Goldfinger. SPECTRE rips it off at every turn.

Licence to Kill is the best “Bond goes rogue” plot because he’s just out to fucken murder up a drug cartel.

Tomorrow Never Dies has a hilarious performance from Jonathan Price as Steve Jobs’ second coming crossed with Rupert Murdoch.

Curiously, there were no Bond films made between 1971 and 1987. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I watched/showed The Big Short at work tonight. It’s a pretty funny comedy about a pretty depressing subject and it’s probably one of the better movies McKay has done and I’m sure the 10 or so minutes I missed cleaning our popcorn machine won’t change that opinion.

Mostly I’m just happy that I didn’t show the Bayghazzi movie

Licence to Kill is tops.

Mr Wint and Mr Kidd’s music is great… for a lady.

I finally watched The Thing.

That dog is a good actor, I thought.

I generally avoid ‘group of confined people getting paranoid’ type devices (and just rewatched that early X-Files episode where they’re trapped in snow zone with jerk worms), but liked this one. Haven’t thought too much about why, but I like the ambiguous but ominous fade-to-black when the dog goes to hang out with that guy, and I like the ending.

I usally really like animals in films when they’re just there doing their own thing. First time I’ve thought ‘this dog is a good actor’ and liked it because of that, I’m pretty sure.

1 Like

@notbov where do you work??

i watched Entertainment which was as mean and desolate and existentially saddening as i was expecting, but also managed to defy all kinds of narrative expectations and at points do Lynch if Lynch refused all hints of melodrama. it was pretty cool.