MUWT 2: The Quickening

Muppets Most wanted is a solid Muppet movie and worthwhile, any time Ricky Gervais is NOT on screen.

*I like the TV show, too. Even though it is a pretty weird tone for the Muppets. If you think about it.

2 Likes

I also love the Muppet Show. I donā€™t know why I was only talking about movies.

I actually watched the 1998 Muppet Show revival/remake/dark-and-mature-reboot Muppets Tonight earlier and more than The Muppet Show and itā€™s made me a blasphemous Muppet fan, since most of my favorite Muppet TV memories are from its bastard late nineties scion.

EDIT: Just realized you were referring to the very recent Muppet TV show which for some reason I never watched (part of that reason was the non-hyping hype machine that led up to it).

1 Like

just occurred to me that an All-Muppet shot for shot remake of The Hateful Eight would probably be a better movie

8 Likes

Yeah, I was talking about the recent show. I feel like it had a decent amount of marketing. I think people just donā€™t respond as well to The Muppets, anymore. Also, the tone did bother some people, In general. But, also specific fans.

I heard a lot of we didnā€™t need this and we certainly didnā€™t want it, either. I thought it was good, though.

1 Like

New background. Itā€™s a high res scan of the original matte painting used in the movie. From:

2 Likes

I saw mother! a couple hours back. Itā€™s an allegorical tale of a mother, a poet and a house. You can pick that up pretty quickly with how it refuses to stick within logic and reality, enough to make it feel off-kilter, but it has a hell of a time trying to map whatā€™s happening on-screen to some abstract idea. This is evidenced by the fact that thereā€™s a number of people calling it a retelling of the bible.

Iā€™ve concluded that itā€™s detailing the creative process of some semi-famous writer (quite possibly the director himself) with the mother as the muse, the baby as the fully formed new work the poet created and the house as the shared mindspace of the people introduced to it all. Itā€™s a very troubling process, too, as the poet is lauded and the mother is ignored or put down, and then DOUBLE SPOILERS ends up literally sacrificing the baby moments after its birth by the crowd the poet showed it to after taking it away from the mother as soon as she had an unguarded moment. DOUBLE SPOILERS END Then restarts the process over from the initial opening of the movie in an apparent ā€œpoetā€™s fine so lets keep doing it in this horrifying way.ā€

I donā€™t like it as an idea.

2 Likes

Your in luck because there is that Brian Henson film where the muppets FUCK and CURSE itā€™s him getting back at his DAD areefgfjhhhhhh.

There was a semi-decent joke in the trailer where the muppet couldnā€™t stop cumming.

It will be forgotten under the pile of every other For Adults puppet movie.

really thought Meet the Feebles burned that crop and salted that earth all those years ago

I like the way that Mother! presents multiple distinct themes simultaneously (peopleā€™s treatment of ā€œMother Earth,ā€ the creative process, fame and relationships, and so on) using biblical allegory as a vehicle, and I especially like the way that it eventually throws everything into a blender (though of course the chaos is meticulously crafted).

4K77 is really pretty

Even though I read this and value your opinion, I will still see this because I doubt it could be worse than the nosedive Boy and the Beast takes in its third act

Iā€™m shocked that they made a movie with the premise of Jason Statham fighting a giant shark and it came out so fucking boring. Itā€™s like they were afraid to have fun or some shit. Like, say what you will about Syfy originals from a qualitative standpoint but at least they elicit a reaction, at least theyā€™re willing to have fun and do silly shit with the 5 bucks they were given

I saw First Reformed a few days ago and I canā€™t decide what to think of it, exactly. But the fact that Iā€™m still thinking about it is a strong point in its favor for me.

One thing the film left me wondering is whether we are to take Mary as a stabilizing influence for Michael and Toller, or whether she subtly does the opposite, exerting influence in some mystical way through her ā€œritual.ā€ It seemed significant that she was whispering to Toller during that sequence. I think Iā€™m drawn to the latter conclusion because I otherwise find it a little difficult to buy just how far Toller plans to go toward the end.

3 Likes

I keep hoping that this boom in Chinese-financed mass market action movies utilizing big name Western stars is going to take us back to the days of foreign-money classics like Bloodsport, Commando and 10 to Midnight but instead we just keep getting sub-Hollywood junk like the new Independence Day, Skyscraper, and The Meg. Itā€™s like Chinese production companies are somehow even more risk averse than Hollywood.

2 Likes

Independence Day 2 is a fun movie

I wasnā€™t a fan of any part that didnā€™t include Goldblum or Judd Hirsch but it and Kong: Skull Island are probably the two best examples from this (very specific) genre (though I liked Kong: SI a lot more)

Iā€™d take a million Resurgences over whatever the hell The Meg and Skyscraper were supposed to be, though

It was more of the same without the kitsch of it being a buddy cop film transplanted into a sci-fi.

hey

Skyscraper at least wanted to do stupid, fun shit

chinese film companies are producing or at least financing a lot more than just the stuff that seems really bullshit these days, including MI Fallout (alibaba pictures) and the Warcraft movie (Huayi Brothers, and basically every other Chinese film financer). Thereā€™s also Legendary, which is now owned by the Wanda group, they have money behind BlacKkKlansman (and Skyscraper, of course). Tencent co-financed Wonder Woman.

Surprisingly Chinese film companies, like most of them, are committed to earning money by any means necessary. People only bitch about it when they find a way to shoehorn Chinese content into the movie, but the reason that almost never works is the fault of the filmmakers IMO.

3 Likes

the worst thing I can say about The Megā€™s Chinese influence is that Statham had an acting equal whenever the Chinese lead spoke English

Resurgence was utterly god-awful how could anyone like that movie