MUWT 2: The Quickening

It’s true, Mission Impossible Fallout is Fury Road Tier

It was a powerful moment seeing tom cruise back in a nightclub and beautiful when rock climbing skills saved the day

1 Like

re: Fallout

that HALO jump scene tho. goddamn. I didn’t think they could top that, but the final act was pure adrenaline rush. thank u McQ

I thought Rogue Nation was pretty darn good. But I dont remember as much hype surrounding it (I dont mean here. I wasnt here, at that time). Everyone should watch the special features on the main stunts/set pieces for that movie. And I look forward to similar, for Fallout.

ok is this really true

3 Likes

action wise, not politically

3 Likes

yeah, it’s pretty true

my reaction to a lot of the setpieces is that I want Suri to write Tom a letter telling him that she loves him and he can stop trying to kill himself

3 Likes

don’t do it, Suri

The Cruiser is probably a garbage private human being and I hope he continues to work this out via the mortification of his body for our entertainment on the Big Screen

when he dies mid-stunt they’d better honor his memory by including the footage in the final cut of Mission Impossible 12

7 Likes

Rebecca Ferguson truly a god-tier actor selling that she has some sort of emotional connection to this weird old alien robot with a magnetic attraction to vehicles that other people have already put into motion

4 Likes

Tom Cruise saying “I’m sorry” then cutting to a closeup of his conversation partner with out-of-focus Cruiserunning in the background of the frame is maybe the best visual gag in a movie this decade

4 Likes

Can you imagine how much of a disappointment it’d be if it was something like The Mummy that did him in rather than this extended and expensive suicide attempt?

2 Likes

he’ll slip and fall when Peter Berg shoots Collateral 2: Collateral Damage, 4 years after Michael Mann passes

6 Likes

you’re acting like he’s going to survive flying a fighter jet in Top Gun Again

1 Like

he’ll personally dog-fight putin for real then show up twenty minutes before his call time the next morning with donuts for the entire cast and crew

1 Like

Cruise knows the exact day and manner of his future death due to access to high technologies (as did Bowie)

He therefore knows exactly how much insanity he can put himself through before he shuffles off this mortal coil and heads back to his Atlantean lightbody, ending what was essentially an extended vacation to milennial Earthtime

8 Likes

2 Likes

The best part of that bathroom fight was no music

3 Likes

Literally Jack Nicholson “my opening shot was originally called a symphony of dicks.”

I really wanted to like Drive, He Said. And I did for 90% of the film. Then it has a home invasion/attempted rape scene. Then it tries to continue like that didn’t happen.

Outside of that big astericks I really liked it. Jack Nicholson of all people has incredible sense of mood and simulacrum. If there are going to be locker room scenes there is going to be hanging dong. It is a brief snapshot of life at a college campus in 1970. And every character no matter how little they are on screen feels like a real person. You meet and have a conversation at a party and then maybe you see them on the way to class a week later.

I want to extract that one scene because I loved it otherwise.

listen to emilio

3 Likes

Boy, that decade was defined by the rape scene both as horror and exploitation, like it was the cutting edge of cinematic technology (which for all practical purposes it was as the Code faded and we had the first run of gritty). The texture and ambience of '70s movies sure have a lot to recommend them but they shared many faults with the suburban malaise literature of people like John Updike.

1 Like

Even Blade Runner has Harrison Ford forcing himself on Priss.

And then the new one has Jared Leto slicing open the womb of a pretty ideal Woman because…