MUWT 2: The Quickening

That’s a horrifying ending to my fun time dammn

yeah! they went there. I can’t wait for Ant Man escaping the quantum realm through a time vortex in the opening scene of Avengers4

Would be pretty hilarious if Antman’s Quantum Goof Magic turned out to be the goof key to reverse the whole goofdecimation thing

1 Like

The first one is blah because yet again, it wastes a ton of time on another origin story. And Evangeline Lily is way too cool to be stuck standing around with her arms folded for an entire movie. I just watched it like 2 weeks ago.

I haven’t seen the second one yet.

1 Like

The second one definitely does not have either of those things! It’s basically about The Wasp except she has no origin story and Ant Man is more or less a supporting character

i can see someone arguing that it is a bit saccharine, but to me the best thing about it is the way it handles the single parent aspect. i liked the first one because it wasn’t just about scott pining after his ex wife (i feel like almost every movie about divorced people is about them trying to win back their lost love of something) and in this one it is even better because their family dynamic is totally functional and tension-free, they all just respect and support one another and it is so pure

3 Likes

good job showing that mutant dick, SORRY TO BOTHER YOU

5 Likes

I watched Rampage. It wasn’t as entertaining as the ID4 sequel (I’m vaguely classing them together). But, it was still an alright distraction.

good movie, shockingly

bad movie/stealth Destiny adaptation

between these two lies Skyscraper, a movie where The Rock scales a 100-story tall crane and also holds a small bridge together with his body

I watched National Treasure last night. It tickled my conspiracy bone. Diane Kruger is a babe. Sean Bean is even more of a babe. That hair! Now I want to watch 2 and 3 to see how much more ridiculous it gets

Rampage was pretty entertaining I thought. Definitely glad I saw it the way god intended: For free on my second monitor while I play a video game, glancing over now and then to watch an action scene.

Man the Rock really can carry any movie on charisma alone.

1 Like

I thought rampage was a significant step down from the new jumanji personally

yesterday I watched Sense & Sensibility (1995) and in it some ladies don’t think they’ll get married but then they get married and some men are cads and some men are very restrained and mannered

it’s an ok picture show :+1:

1 Like

I watched The Hitman’s Bodyguard
It is what you’d expect, not very good.
It is the exact same mold of action-comedy as all the superhero movies, except it doesn’t have a superhero license.

Do you want to see Ryan Reynolds be sassy and Samuel Jackson be smarmy like the buddy cop videos of yore? It’s the summer blockbuster without a sequel number; captures the “will see anything with Actor X in it” audience without requiring a lot of effort to make.

It was one of the movies I watched on Netflix while cross stitching. I gave it a 3 out of 5 because boy howdy there are worse movies on that service.

3 Likes

there was some half-decent action choreography, the dumb middle act didn’t take too long, the leads are pleasant to look at and listen to, nothing overtly insulting, they don’t make that many buddy action movies these days that clear that bar

1 Like

No, The Hitman’s Bodyguard was just a free European vacation and you’re seeing Sam’s home videos of it

Just like how The Spy Who Dumped Me is Mila Kunis and Kate McKinnon getting their own vacation (I haven’t looked but I would be shocked if it isn’t the annual summer release from Millennium Films) (actually that was supposed to be the submarine thriller Hunter Killer but that got pushed back to the fall) (I only know that because I’ve shown HK back in May)

Sorry to Bother You is adrenaline to the heart

Seriously the most pumped I’ve been coming out of a movie since Fury Road. It’s boundless inventiveness, it’s energy with a voice to a purpose and it will happily drive over conventional setup and plotting to do what it’s interested in in a way that doesn’t read of amateurism but infectious enthusiasm. Absolute gold.

I was most reminded of Network and its similar heightened, almost allegorical feel and that descent past traditional plotting to get a few more bits of raw anger. Only, Sorry to Bother You is made by much younger people and has more life in it (I love Network).

see it right this now

4 Likes

I would argue that Network is a far more subtle movie than Sorry to Bother You

which is not a slight against it, when the issues you’re addressing are so entrenched and out in the open and they’re not being recognized, your politics can only be but so subtle. it’s not only as exactly as loud as it needs to be, it’s as loud as everyone who would otherwise ignore it as it needs to be

2 Likes

oh, I agree that being loud isn’t a downside at all. Any form of directness so close the audience glances away of habit is my favorite thing, ever, like the way Videodrome and The Fly Cronenberg speaks his metaphors so directly and literally it’s baffling. I love it.

I’m not sure about subtle being in the same room as Network but it’s certainly much higher off the ground than Sorry to Bother You.

At the same time, Sorry to Bother You is so amazing at stuffing worldbuilding background detail in through set design and costumes and letting it go unremarked upon. For instance, I love that they built a world of tricked-out peddly bikes to hint at both a near-world too impoverished to own the money even to restore a clunker of a car, but with the same irrepressible urge to create and express and show off.

1 Like