MUWT 2: The Quickening

Currently watching STALKED BY MY DOCTOR: A PATIENT’S REVENGE starring Eric Roberts and if this sticks the landing I think this may be the greatest trilogy of the 21st century and Eric Roberts should be in twice as many movies as he currently is cuz he’s fucking amazing.

2 Likes

I just watched the all-time best reviewed film based on a video game

It stuck the landing and I think everyone who’s won an Oscar this century should hand theirs in and they should be melted down and Eric Roberts should be presented with History’s Biggest Oscar cuz holy shit, he’s the best.

I forget if we have a trailers thread but I saw this and thought it’s the kind of silly I’m into

i saw ant man and the wasp!

it’s got ant man in it… and the wasp!

i would say it’s about as funny as the first, and not as funny or memorable as thor ragnarok. it remains more ‘smile’ funny rather than ‘laugh’ funny but there are still a few decent gags in there. the action sequences in this one seemed more interesting, but there’s fewer tiny person in giant world shots if that makes sense

I went to a midnight screening of Good Burger the other day and they were giving out free burgers from a pretty decent local burger chain. The movie was startlingly enjoyable! I didn’t know what to expect because I hadn’t seen it since the 90’s. It was dumb as hell and a total cartoon of a movie, but it actually had some pretty decent gags now and then. Its pacing is excellent! The one huge problem with it was an extended mental hospital scene that did NOT age well.

I’m used to movies about food hitting me with an insatiable craving for that food, but the biggest surprise of the night was: Good Burger did not make me want a burger at all, even though I had one sitting in a little box right next to me! The movie is not interested in the beauty, poetry, or taste of burgers. If anything, it’s anti-burger. There are no pleasant shots of appetizing burgers, but there are many lingering shots of grotesque, distended mutant burger patties created by the movie’s villains.

I spent the whole movie waiting to get excited about the burg they gave me, but it never happened! I ended up finally cracking the box open in the final 20 minutes, and once I took the first bite I was 100% in. It wasn’t that I didn’t want a burg, it was that the movie actively worked against me eating the burg.

7 Likes

did this happen when you watched The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover?

4 Likes

Happens to me during the weird amphibian restaurant scene in eXistenZ

5 Likes

Sorry to Bother You opened in Boston today. I’m a big fan of The Coup, so I was dying to see it! The director is openly communist and much of his music is leftist agitprop in the best way. I was shocked to hear that his movie was actually getting made, and I was beyond disbelief that it somehow secured a wide release.

The movie is fantastic! It’s very funny, and it goes places. It has a potent political message that you do not see in pop culture. Ever. I mean, one of the major conflicts of the film revolves around union organizing.

DO NOT READ ANY SPOILERS. This movie turns on a dime in a single psychotronic instant, it is beyond bizarre and it’s perfectly executed.

If you’re at all on the fence about seeing it, check out how totally fucking cool this music video is, from the director’s band:

3 Likes

It’s been getting rave festival reviews for a while now and the style in the trailer is amazing and the subject/high concept is killer. I’m pumped.

Edit: Just looked up showtimes to find out which art theater it’s playing in and it’s wide release? Awesome!

1 Like

I just watched Thor Ragnarok

verdict: it was OKAY

really though all it did was remind me of how they cast Paul Rudd as Ant-Man and I just don’t understand anything. First, who thought bringing back Ant-Man was a good idea, and second, who thought casting Paul Rudd was a good idea? Was Will Ferrel too busy?

Nothing they ever do can possibly keep me from seeing him as “the Celery Man guy”. I feel like that’s not what they were going for, for the movie?

It pretty much was when Edgar Wright was directing it, but then they kicked him out and Marvelized it

ANT MAN RULES SHUSH SO DOES PAUL RUDD

Celery Man is Marvel Canin

1 Like

watched the 1992 film sneakers and it’s fun my word the stuff about the NSA worrying about following the law and the scary spectre of “being able to read emails” is so quaint

2 Likes

first Ant-Man was a bad heist movie that happened to be about superheroes

Ant-Man and the Wasp was a better movie because the stakes were smaller even though they go around and do a bunch of stupid Marvel shit

none of it matters, the movie isn’t making a bunch of money and we’ll probably find out everyone associated with Paul Rudd turned to dust

1 Like

Did you, uh, see the post credits scene?

1 Like

look, I’m getting old, my bladder ain’t what is used to be

if Marvel wants me to care about something, they need to put it in the movie, not after it

3 Likes

Ok well Hank, Janet and Hope all got dustified and Ant Man is stuck in the Quantum Realm

it’s almost as if they had no faith in the movie!

2 Likes

who and why?

1 Like