MUWT 2: The Quickening

It’s not a stone masterpiece (-muddled Randianisms) like the first but it wasn’t nearly the Bitter Middle-Aged Dude Left Behind festival I expected from the trailer and I liked everything with the baby. I was a sap for the baby, and esp. The raccoon and the baby and Edna and the baby.

Brad Bird still executes the best superhero action setpieces, even when they’re variations on Speed and/or Speed 2: Cruise Control.

That John Lasseter producer card is kind of a gut punch though!

3 Likes

Agreed on all. I guess reading your post and nodding along made me realize “mediocre” was a pretty mean assessment.

1 Like

I found out that the writer/director of Hereditary has a bunch of previous short films on Vimeo. I liked Hereditary so much that I’m going to check these out:

“The Strange Thing About the Johnsons” (2011) (Content warning: it’s about incest)
“Beau” (2011)
“Munchausen” (2013)
“Basically” (2014)
“The Turtle’s Head” (2014)
“C’est La Vie” (2016)

Warning: I’ve heard that these are almost all completely fucked up and NSFW. I’m halfway through the first one and it is BONKERS upsetting.

2 Likes

I did not anticipate John Boyega’s role in Pacific Rim Uprising to be, like… the Misato to some cadets. Literally trading salvaged Jaeger parts for oreos in the first ten minutes.

lmao holy shit they should have led the marketing with evil charlie day possessed by aliens

Early on I was like “oh so it’s just the plot to black ops 2” but the twist is hilarious

1 Like
2 Likes

I want to be into that but Black Rainbow really sucked

4 Likes

tell me how Brooks, I love that trailer but have been scared to go beyond it

Basically not nearly stylish enough to make up for the completely boilerplate everything else

5 Likes

God, my greatest cinematic disappointment in years

1 Like

Jack-Jack fucking that raccoon up was a better set piece than any other super hero movie this year, nevermind the rest of the movie

Jurassic World FW is undoubtedly one of the single dumbest and most irredeemable movies I have seen in quite a while, perhaps since the original Jurassic World or even Geostorm

brazenly, insultingly stupid to a degree that I’m surprised I didn’t leave my hands up in the air to express my profound confusion and astonishment

had the theater had 2 or 3 less people, I would have been actively yelling shit at the screen

the single good moment is Blue showing up on the top ropes and bodyslamming the Indoraptor to its death, if only because I could go in my brain 'BAH GAWD IS THAT BLUE’S MUSIC?"

Don’t worry buddy Trilogy!!!

I watched Annihilation and it’s gorgeous. The way the characters deal with the shimmer is haunting me.

2 Likes

The ending sequence in the lighthouse is what stuck w/ me. The sound was like cranked in the theater and the bass was visceral.

I also think it’s very effective horror! I do wish the dialogue was less flat and the characters were more fleshed out.

4 Likes

On the other hand, feeling detached from the characters sort of works with the theme and I’m not sure it would have had as much impact if I was scared for her. As it was, her ultimate fate didn’t bother me much and I was just sort of in a stupor with a tingling sensation in my hands while the whole theater buzzed with the music.

It probably gained more by seeing it in a theater than most movies do. I went alone and the theater was almost empty, which I imagine was the near-optimal experience.

1 Like

Soldado is legit. If you want to see moral mutants rationalise themselves past what passes for crises of conscience whilst devastating people’s lives, you’re in for a treat. The base premise is reactionary for sure but goes for sort of a fakeout halfway through and focuses on blowback. Kind of reminds me of Modern Warfare 2 in that way, come to think of it. It may be two hours but there’s no filler. With a third one of these on the way I’ll be very interested to see where they decide to take it.

It sounds and looks the part too. Best thing Dariusz Wolski has worked on since The Counsellor.

4 Likes

Man, that Soldado trailer was the most fascist thing I’ve seen in a cinema in a little while. I’m glad to hear the movie itself doesn’t go all in on the jingoism.

I’m sorry but the entire movie is undermined when Josh Brolin doesn’t shoot that kid in the head.

Also Taylor Sheridan continues to have one of the worst ears for dialog in motion pictures. Fortunately there isn’t too much of it?

2 Likes

I do not buy the way Brolin works the charging handle on his mp5.

In the opening sequence of TRANSFORMERS: THE LAST KNIGHT set around 400 CE in Briton is a closeup of a 16th century German sword this is sure to be the biggest problem with this movie

I mean other than the ed209 not killing mark whalberg