MUWT 2: The Quickening

The new RE has such poor editing, I couldn’t stand to watch it right now. I will probably put it on again, another day.

I was so pissed off at the final Resident Evil movie. The ending to the one right before it was awesome, a glimpse of a giant final battle at the White House, humanity’s final stand as Wesker put it. I was like hot damn the next movie is going to be sick. Just all out giant monsters and zombies getting shot up and chopped up and blown up in all sorts of ways etc.

For like four long years I had that image in my mind as the movie got delayed. Just thinking gosh I hope it picks up right where it left off and the whole movie is just one long giant splatterfest. When I finally saw it it starts up right AFTER the giant world-ending battle that had closed out the previous movie. Felt like the whole series led up to a big event that they decided not to film.

1 Like

I watched the first John Wick.

It was solid. But there were 3 things about it which really bothered me:

1. John Attacks the Red Circle night club and at one point, he is sitting on a bad guy and looks up, to a clear shot on the Russian son who killed his dog. John hesitates, does not take the shot, then looks down and shoots the guy he is sitting on. Then looks back up to the Russian son now obviously running. So, here we have the guy who like never hesitates a shot and who often strings multiple targets together----passing and not shooting his main target. A target once dead, would mean John could go home.

So uh, write the scene so that the son just gets away because John is too busy with the henchmen. WTF.

1. At a later point, John gets sideswiped by an car crash and is laying on the ground, dazed and hurt. The Russians surround him. Annnnnnd they don’t immediately shoot the most dangerous man ever. Who later, obviously is afforded a chance to get back to being the most dangerous man ever.

So just let John get away or something. I mean, his ass is saved by the sniper. So we coulda just had that at the car crash scene. WTF.

1. Perkins, the hot girl assassin who breaks the rules of the hotel by trying to kill John in the hotel: Later gets a call from the hotel. Oh, I wonder why the hotel would be calling me?(DUH, why even answer it?). She answers it and then is later shown at what we assume is a place she was told to meet hotel staff. And yeah, duh, she’s gonna die here. And then she gets quad executed. WTF.

He doesn’t look down. He’s staring straight at the kid while he puts a bullet through the guy he’s holding down. It is very deliberate. There is nothing about the performance to indicate hesitation.

Maybe the dude struggling would throw off his aim. Maybe he wants to be absolutely sure the immediate threat is shut down before he moves on. It seems more like purposeful dragging out of the moment. The kid grabs a pistol but falters as soon as Wick locks eyes with him

Probably he just likes playing with his food.

It’s a really good beat and very easy to rationalize!

1 Like

he lives only for the self-destructive revenge now and letting your target know you could have killed him dead right then but instead, without breaking eye contact with him, casually execute his bodyguard while he watches, is a great move

John points his gun right at him. Holds, then while still holding his gaze, moves the gun down and shoots the henchman.

I didn’t find it to be a good beat. Because the whole point of John Wick is that he is a flow-state mega gunman. And that moment was only about halfway through the movie.

I mean, I see that its probably a sort of character beat that due to circumstances, Wick does have some emotions. And later, he just pops the son from a distance and then confirms with a walk-up headshot. As if he’s now pulled back and remembered ok, yeah, can’t hesitate.

v. reductionist take on john wick imo

perhaps I should say: any hesitation is for immediately understandable/relatable character-based reasons that in no way run counter to his presentation as death automaton in the rest of the film

if you think otherwise obv. no one’s ever killed your new puppy in front of you before!

I saw Lu Over the Wall in the theater yesterday. That movie rules!

INGREDIENTS TO MAKE A GOOD ANIME MOVIE

• Interesting and varied animation styles

• Gorgeous color palette

• Moments of magical sublimity bursting out of the reality of the film

• Mermaid dance party

• A shark who’s also a dad

I have always graded anime on this rubric and finally a movie hit every single one of them~

Thanks for the recc @tulpa!

Last week I watched almost every single Isao Takahata film and cried during EVERY SINGLE ONE. He was such a genius. Lu Over the Wall was a nice feelgood palate cleanser after those.

6 Likes

Always got the impression takahata was a more empathetic person than miyazaki, or maybe more grounded. Like, I reckon his life was a little harder than miyazaki’s. His movies always feel so heavy and, like, driven by pain and necessity (emotionally speaking, not necessarily narratively). Miyazaki spends too much time in the clouds, literally and figurately.

4 Likes

This is a lame post but idc

Only Yesterday best ghibli

3 Likes

I just watched the John Woo Netflix movie and oh jeez is it a John Woo movie

the whole movie takes place on a series of bright sunny days in and outside of Osaka, and it has a smooth jazz soundtrack

it’s 1/3 in Chinese 1/3 in Japanese 1/3 in English, and most of the characters in it speak all three of those languages in more or less equal proportion

it’s every cop movie stereotype one after another at rapid fire but done in a way that is just supremely entertaining

one of the two main characters is introduced in medias res as he rescues a child from a group of otherwise unexplained zany terrorists, then he pats the child on the head and tells him to follow his dreams

it’s a movie from an alternate universe where instead of Mission Impossible II John Woo decided to leave Hollywood and return to doing exactly the same thing he had been doing for the next 18 years, only getting a little bit weirder every time

at the beginning and end of the movie two characters talk about how much they like old movies, and it’s only at the end of the movie that you realize the old movies they are talking about are probably old John Woo movies

his daughter plays one half of a pharmaceutically enhanced trilingual assassin duo

highly recommended

5 Likes

It’s an action movie that takes place in the world where the generic music videos that accompany karaoke lyrics come from

It’s a one night only crossover event featuring the (imaginary) protagonists of China’s #1 international jetsetting lawyer TV show, Japan’s #4 hero cop police procedural, and a failed American pilot about supersoldier assassin babes

I don’t even want to begin to unpack the way the movie not-so-subtly alludes to ww2 era atrocities and yet also has an extremely warm and encouraging perspective on sino-japanese friendship

8 Likes

What is it called I must view it

1 Like

MANHUNT

sounds tight

Holy christ who reached into my skull and found the movie waiting there

This news is a few days old I guess. But, Milla Jovovich will star in the Monster Hunter movie. Same director and staff as the RE movies. 50million budget.