MUWT 2: The Quickening

It had a brief release in Australian cinemas with an english dub with some big name stars like Kate Winslet. I went to see it with my girlfriend and found it a bit disappointing. Mostly it feels like it is cashing in on the Ghibli aesthetic but without the charm. In that sense I guess it is the Ni No Kuni of movies. My girlfriend was crying at the ending though

1 Like

Yeah I saw it a few months ago w/ subtitles but I think they were also playing the english dub. I thought it was OK? Some of the animation was weirdly uneven. The plot was less whimsical and dreamlike than typical ghibli movies which is a weakness but also potentially a strength if done well (that is not the case here). The cats were cute as fuck. Would recommend.

Watch Lu Over the Wall rudie

4 Likes

Watched the trailer for this I uhhh hmm. I would recommend it to people that arenā€™t me.

The trailer made me question my own inpentratable tastes.

I havenā€™t watched the trailer but I can guarantee it isnā€™t what you would expect. It constantly avoided the easy cliche plot for something much better.

1 Like

you can safely skip 2 and 4 at the very least

1 and 3 are the next worst, followed by 7 (unpopular opinion), but 5/6/8 are all gold

2 is essential for the initial weird jealousy/tension between Roman and Dom when the former arrives in 5 ('cause Walker and Tyrese have so clearly fucked in the past), gosh

1 Like

If youā€™re planning on watching the Resident Evil movies you could probably get some campy b-movie enjoyment out of 2 and 4.

2 is goofy as hell, like the parts of Live and Let Die with J.W. Pepper.

4 is practically US car industry propaganda considering the circumstances of its release.

2 Likes

Actually, I watched F8 again and itā€™s kind of a downer on repeats.

• the misogyny sucks
  • the two setpieces feel more like Purvis and Wade-type (i.e. bad) Bond than Justin Linā€™s breezy spectacle
  • #justiceforhan
  • it feels like the bigger actors are getting ego-stroking input (e.g. Diesel stretching his range too far, the Rockā€™s meta-gags about the Rock)

I think Lin is coming back after Space Jam inevitably hit the event horizon of development hell, so Iā€™m confident they can right the ship, but I thought F. Gary Gray would hit it out of the park based on Friday and The Italian Job '03.

Michele Rodriguez said something about fixing the roles for women going forward, so Iā€™m optimistic weā€™ll get more of the good shit from 5,6,7 in that regard. Nathalie Emmanuel doesnā€™t bust balls quite like Gal Godot.

I think F8 was really missing bromance, when you get right down to it.

Villain for F9nal Fury needs to be Sung Kang as Punished Han with an eyepatch and nasty burn scars backed by Sonny Chibaā€™s crime family.

Jettison Scott Eastwood and get Lucas Black in there, he at least has legit charisma for the white guy. You can put him in a Cuda instead of a fucking stanced BRZ.

3 Likes

The Rockā€™s cartoonish hyper-masculinity sort of crosses the line into ā€œbad dadā€ territory in 8 and stops amusing me at times.

Iā€™m there for Vin obviously saying ā€œpeople liked Statham so please somehow make me the Statham in the next movie!ā€ though.

1 Like

i watched easy rider and suddenly understood my dad and all of my dadā€™s friends

11 Likes

I watched the RE movies in 2012 and had a pretty good time. I havenā€™t seen the newest.

The MI movies are all good, for various reasons. Well, except Ghost Protocol.

What no. 2F2F is so directtovideosequel that it is great.

Punished Sang would rule. Laid back snack crunching donā€™t give a shit villian.

1 Like

The bit where the car gets run over by the semi in 2F2F is still pretty fucking cool sorry everyone

3 Likes

This is like the most wrong opinion

2 Likes

My take on the MI movies is they get progressively better until Ghost Protocol, which is better than III in some ways and worse than others. I have almost no memories of Rogue Nation so it is probably worse. GP starts the trend of MI movies basically being an extremely thinly veiled excuse to put Tom Cruise in increasingly life threatening situations. Iā€™m entirely in favor of this premise because I find Tom Cruise an engaging performer and a reprehensible personā€“there is literally no downside to making him risk death to entertain me.

4 Likes

capitalism is a much worse exploitative cult that none us seem able to leave at least tom cruise is letting mcquarrie make movies again

3 Likes

I did an ass kicking women quad feature:

Columbiana, Atomic Blonde, Salt and the newest Resident Evil.

Columbiana did have a pretty decent MGS style sneaking segment. After the waaaay too long intro segment of her childhood.

Otherwise, it sucks. She fought off her main nemesis, using two toothbrushes.

Most of the action was her standing and shooting guns into nowhereland off camera. And then cut to bullet hole charges going off while the camera pans.

Salt was pretty good. The action was pretty standard stuff. Mostly effective. Only a couple of hokey or poorly stayed parts.

But the story was cool and unique. And the screenplay was good, so I was surprised by the twists. I didnā€™t know anything about the story, before watching. All I knew was Angelina Jolie in possibly gritty espionage action/thriller.

Unfortunately, I was totally ready for another act (which they set up) and then the movie ended. Seems like there was a possible sequel which never happened.

1 Like

Atomic Blonde: Yeah so any part of this which wasnā€™t an action scene, was pretty boring. Iā€™ve never cared for the setup where the story is an interview. True detective got away with it, because all the characters were good/really good.

Charlize Theron was really good in this role. I have always liked her, but have been continually surprised at her shift, since Monster. Too bad the story was bland and she didnā€™t have any compelling actors to play with.

Sofia Boutrlla, was sufficient, if not untapped potential (I think sheā€™s a good actor). I think more scenes with her, could have improved the screenplay a bit. And her fight scene shoulda been longer. I mean, if you are gonna choose the darkest brunette in Hollywood to play counter to Charlize Theron, you should give her a bit more time to breathe.

Iā€™d watch another, because Charlize is my #2. And really, it was as good as most male driven action movies. Better, even, due to some quality fights. A couple of the shorter ones could have used another few takes. But most of them were pretty damn good. A lot of smashing with nearby objects.

I really appreciated the makeup for all her bruises. Like at the end of the movie, her left arm is basically a full sleeve bruise!