MUWT 2: The Quickening

I watched John Carter of Mars and thought it was pretty good. Surprised the movie flopped. It’s probably something that would sell bonkers right now.

I don’t know if this is a real screen cap or not but I can always dream.

3 Likes

That’s a nonsensical pairing come on

It’s Bucky and Steve, not Tony and Steve! We’ve had three movies about this! They were frozen until society was ready for their love.

4 Likes

Look, we know who Steve loves, but he’s building his confidence by having a fling with Tony, who is incapable of love, before committing to the lifetime with Bucky. Steve is scared of ruining things with Bucky by moving too fast.

3 Likes

Tony’s only got eyes for Bruce. Natasha only likes Bruce for Hulk, but Tony likes Bruce for Bruce!

Can Pepper still breathe fire or did they undo the extremis? Goop dot com presents one weird tip to regrow your limbs.

1 Like

I mean, Tony still isn’t capable of love, but he definitely lusts for Bruce.

1 Like

Drax will explain what true love is to them with his alien wisdom.

1 Like

that scene in civil war where steve kisses peggy’s… niece? and bucky and falcon fist bump because while they’re obviously romantic rivals re:cap the masculine romantic love between warrior brothers is somehow different than the love between man and lady and either would be fine sharing steve with her for fucks + hugs

a real deep scene with some complex coding

2 Likes

what if Agent Carter 2 killed a human or alien or pan-dimensional monster in front of them?

what if she proves her Warrior Bona-Fides? Would she then be elevated to the level of equal and rival? is the stability of these potential polyamorous monad reliant on backwards ideas re: gender roles?

What I’m saying is I think if bucky and falcon saw steve kiss black widow there would be no fist bump they’d just get jealous and possibly challenge her to a bench press competition

2 Likes

i’m glad everyone else is as into Stucky as me

Hey I finally watched Black Panther while 90% of the people in the building were watching Infinity War in the other theaters, and I saw Thor Ragnarok the other night too. I guess I’m mostly MCU caught up now…

I think the latter would have been a pretty great Sci-Fi romp minus the MCU trappings, like you could have plucked the Marvel characters out of it and it would have been just as good.

1 Like

Just hack the wider-MARVEL CONTINUITY-effecting a-plot and have the third act on Gladiator Planet and you’d really have something.

More Thor with big stupid laser gun please :waynestare:

I admit there was some satisfaction to be had from seeing Thor going full-on psycho crusher at the end, too. A shame it didn’t do anything with the plot.

1 Like

the lure is so good

1 Like

I finished watching all the solo Johnnie To movies. It was a little sad watching Suet Lam’s huge strands of chin mole hair turn grey over the years.

4 Likes

my top 5 johnnie to are:

Romancing in Thin Air
Sparrow
Throw down
Exiled
The Mission

those first 3 are transcendental masterpieces that leave you feeling moved and just good about life and exiled and the mission are just the perfect outlaw values type of movies. the mission really needs a bluray release though.

I don’t care as much for the nihilistic To’s like Drug War, Election, Life Without Principal etc. he’s so much better than anyone else at the feel good crime camaraderie ones that it feels like a bit of a waste. and it’s annoying when people are like “drug war/election are the criminal reality not the myth.” nonsense. be the criminal you want to see in the world. and we should all strive to be anthony wong in exiled/the mission, not louis koo in drug war. I may actually be just a takeshi kaneshiro wandering around mutely goading people into kicking my ass but I can always strive for better

only reason vengeance isn’t up there with exiled and the mission is melodrama for some reason just never 100% translates into spoken english without adding some goofiness along with it. it’s best in foreign languages, silent film intertitles, or jrpg text boxes.

alain delon recently said he is ready to die. and buddy you might as well because you’ll always be dead to me for abandoning this movie. how could you, when clearly le samourai and le cercle rouge mean so much to To and he made this for you personally?

blind detective is really good except for the “woman who looks like a man” joke. it’s like a season of a thin man tv series reboot where nick and norah are tweakers instead of drunks and they played it at x6 speed to fit into movie length. I don’t think I ever seen a movie this manic. wish youtube had a clip of the morgue scene

I also like that in this and ptu, his two cop movies, the cops are either bullying thugs or insane jackasses. unlike a certain somebody, To never lets the cops in on the bloodshed heroics, they’re basically nonexistent in those ones. ptu is also very nice looking, I like the spotlit nighttime look of the streets.

the early and ghost directed ones (heroes never die, where a good man goes, the odd one dies, expect the unexpected, the longest nite) are all good and weirder and bleaker. and they have 90s jrpg town sounding soundracks.

office is a kind of amusing musical about capitalist drones with really neat sets. the office is inescapable, even when the workers go home. cool to see chow-yun fat in a To movie and treated like a mythic god-like figure as the ceo. everyone in this movie is goofing off like they’re in some cary grant comedy except wei tang, the gal from blackhat, who is off on some entirely different daniel day lewis level. no wonder michael mann went for her

I didn’t care for running out of time and my copy of yesterday once more didn’t have any subtitles in existence that were in sync and I had to keep hitting the “delay subtitles” button the whole movie but linger was the only actually bad one.

I wish three had been just a little better because it’s very grim and serious and then the credit music has cheerful whistling and sometimes a movies final moments or just credit music can make a movie really stick in your head and leave you feeling better about it than it might have actually been

9 Likes

The great thing about election is that its not about crime its about politics

3 Likes

I did really like how the cop character is portrayed in election 2

2 Likes

the mall shootout in the Mission is all I’ve ever seen but it’s really bizarre and weird to watch. it’s so measured and symmetrical and slow paced. There’s nothing quite like it.

1 Like

Has Mary and the Witches Flower got any Western Release yet? We rented it tonight. It has a languid pace for a children’s movie and the dialog is terrible (Most of it is directly stating actions or character motivations.)

Some of the music is good and the bits with lots of different animals are fun to look at.

Not influencing my above opinion of the dialog but the J-Bluray had English subtitles to my surprise.