MUWT 2: The Quickening

that’s one of the better summaries of it I’ve seen anywhere ever, actually

4 Likes

yeah that’s making me reconsider some stuff

do we have an ADD thread? we should have an ADD thread

i’ve only recently come to terms with the fact that i most likely have ADD (thanks to a toups post on facebook of all things???) and just facing that head-on (directly to the forehead) has made a huge difference.

plus being medicated for depression??

uh anyway

i don’t watch movies i just watch deep space nine and youtube tutorials for factorio

I really appreciate you posting this, cheers

1 Like
1 Like

The guy who did those Halloween and dragon tattoo reviews has a fantastic podcast called All Units about thrillers, and previously did another podcast called the wonder of it all, inside of which is a horror film podcast called hundreds of dead bodies. They are all fantastic I highly recommend them

2 Likes

The Brothers Bloom is a heartwarming story about an autistic woman who is comically immune to con artists despite her credulity.

1 Like

is the con artist movie twist that it was all an elaborate long con where it turns out she was tricking them… into liking her, only inadvertently and with sincerity

1 Like

That is a twist in the movie but not the twist, unfortunately

the loudest sound in rosemary’s baby is the score when the pope’s ring is moving in towards rosemary. it’s so fucking loud

2 Likes

Woop, this arrived in the mail today, two days after I complained and got a refund of the shipping cost.

1 Like

You Were Never Really Here kinda triggered my ptsd

gr8 job!

sorry to all the elderly people and that one hip young couple on a date (loved ur hair dude) who had to listen to my breathing exercises?

this of course means it’s good

despite all the huge signposts it seems to get trauma and violence in a fundamental and subtle way a lot of movies don’t and upends a lot of the rote dude-what-hurts-people-for-women-or-kids stuff from the source for the better

it is a great little movie

I just don’t know if I’ll ever watch it again?

In it Phoenix looks weirdly like my friend who never grew out of his libertarian phase who everyone’s mistaken for my brother since we were teenagers.

4 Likes

Call it a ‘love story’ if you like, but say what you mean. From the predatory sniffing and negging of waitress Alma by respectable Cyril (the sister) on the measuring block, to Alma’s supposedly chivalric stripping of the drunk millionairess for the sake of her genteel beloved (every bit the pompous anti-feminist comprador: “she can no longer behave this way and be dressed by the House of Woodcock”), the film drove home that what ‘romance’ often really is is a series of atrocities people perpetrate on one another in the name of love and art, for the sake of class power. The beautiful orchestral sound washing over everything was one of the clearest signs to me that dissonance and horror was in play: this, it said to me, is the extent to which we butcher our lives in the service of work, or in our individual attempts to escape it. This, this mockery, is the only thing we know how to desire.

4 Likes

Aren’t we all annoyed with the corporate “geek” IP cronies and their awful garbage on twitter? Abhay nails it because their sole existence is to post overwrought bullshit picked up by content desperate sites like collider or the ringer and etc.

... Sobbing? Gee, I guess that movie must be-- ... Oh wait, this guy just likes to cry a lot...?  They just invited a guy who cries a lot to the Avengers premiere.  “H-h-he asked me if I-I-I wanted...

3 Likes

that’s got a very lonely island vibe to it somehow

“I COULD NOT STOP emoting”

1 Like

As I recall it was a horror film

2 Likes

Saw Hausu on 35mm in a theater. It ruled. If somehow you are posting on this forum and haven’t seen HAUSU you should get on that.

I say that as a guy that hates horror movies!

8 Likes

Holy shit this is so gobsmackingly insane, I love it. Recommended reading. The internet gets even more interesting when an event movie drops.

https://www.change.org/p/12756319/u/22669649?utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_campaign=311665&sfmc_tk=YnIDgc6OHfX3M2tzJ6BrM0gXx8LscBx4uvQjSzbgvih19hUykM5yZPfUkWcrUpFS&j=311665&sfmc_sub=575087842&l=32_HTML&u=56202917&mid=7259882&jb=209

1 Like

Nobuhiko Obayashi is awesome. He recently came to the Harvard Film Archive to present a few of his films. I saw Bound for the Fields, the Mountains, and the Seacoast there. In the Q&A he came off like an incredibly nice guy with a great sense of humor. That movie is completely different from Hausu in tone, but there is a similar off-kilter goofiness to it. It’s about childhood in pre-WWII Japan. Each kid has their own little song they sing as they go about their business, and the songs are evocative of their personalities. It was pretty sentimental in a way that worked for me.