MUWT 2: The Quickening

Smokin’ Aces is one of those “relax, don’t think too hard about the plot” movies. And you can, up until Ryan Reynolds’ character learns about the true reason there was a bounty on Aces and it’s so ridiculous that the fun is all gone. Smokin’ Aces 2 is even worse because it tries to strike magic a second time by doing it all again with a different cast but revealed their ridiculous plot hand way too early. There wasn’t anyone to root for!

Ready Player One is another solid brick to the wall answering why we shouldn’t make movies of the real world featuring video game logic. It’s inconsistent, it relies on the viewer to care about the references and when it interfaces with ‘reality’ there’s these jagged missing pieces to full realization. It’s a world where everything apparently runs through Oasis but they still have a live police force (that show up for a single god damn scene) and a private military force (that are incompetent and also show up for only two scenes). And the climax hinges on a deus ex machina not foreshadowed that you would only understand if you knew the base cost of playing in an arcade from the 80s.

The best thing about Joe Carnaham is he’s the only director who knows how to use Chris Pine

Also the best thing about Chris Pine tbh

The DIA had a showing of King Hu’s Legend of the Mountain. Rad movie, King Hu can shoot like a son of a gun. Not as good as A Touch of Zen but still pretty darn good.

Also watched Children who Follow Lost Voices. I enjoyed it quite a bit but it is just not haunting me like Devilman Crybaby did.

1 Like

I was hoping to have seen this by now but seems the new carrier Amazon UK are using are notorious for losing packages

Is this out on blu ray now? I think it has been restored recently but I haven’t been following news about when/if it will be released

There’s a Region B release which is what I pre-ordered. See below, although I am not sure I would recommend getting it from Amazon while they insist on using ASENDIA as their carrier

1 Like

You Were Never Really Here is real good.

Joaquin Phoenix confirms his status as my fave actor of his generation. Greenwood’s score is excellent. Probably my favorite Lynne Ramsay film after Morvern Callar.

This is probably Roseanne Barr’s film of the year :anguished:

1 Like

Nice. Hope it isn’t truly lost but just delayed! It’s a great movie. Like @Ayanami77Ivy says it is not a masterpiece like A Touch of Zen but it is beautiful and extremely chill. The landscapes in it are just gorgeous apparently it was shot in Korea

1 Like

yeah it’s great though it’s a little short, I could of used 3 more hours of suicidal ideation

2 Likes

Kinda liked how short it was, it encourages rewatches. The whole thing was incredible, best movie I’ve seen in months. It reminded me of 3 of my favorites: Good Time, Ferrara’s Bad Lieutenant and Kane & Lynch 2 Reveal Trailer

From “Ratcatcher” to “Morvern Callar” and “We Need to Talk About Kevin,” it seems to me like you are interested in visualizing the abstract headspaces of your characters. This, to me, is most evident in “You Were Never Really Here.” Do you find yourself gravitate towards material that would allow you to achieve this?

I suppose every filmmaker, at least the filmmakers I really like, are amateur psychologists to a degree. Or they come from a psychological approach, I guess. I mean, filmmakers like [Ingmar] Bergman or [Stanley] Kubrick. They always try to uncover what’s going on in the mind. To me, most filmmaking is a kind of visualization of how people are. The dark, the light, the absurdity of life, all the crazy things, you know? So all of the characters that I’ve made have been really close to my heart. I guess what I’m interested in is just visualizing a really three-dimensional picture of a person.

Joe [Joaquin Phoenix] seemed to be stuck in a space between life and death, and he kind of experiments with overstepping that boundary a little bit. It just got me thinking; death is something so near, and it is scarily easy to attain. That thought frightened me a little bit.

I think the film can be kind of scary in the sense that a lot of things are unexpected in it. You don’t know what he’s going to do next. But there’s hopefulness as well. There’s a kind of idea of him coming back to life and being more present, in a way. He is like a ghost in his own life, at the beginning, and he’s like the walking dead [man]. So in the end, he’s not the knight in shining armor. He’s a fallible man who has totally failed in everything. It’s against the trope of this kind of movie. But, yeah, I think there is something at the end (without giving spoilers) that feels more hopeful.

Yes, you definitely leave the story on an unexpectedly bright and hopeful note.

Even if it’s slightly surreal, there’s still this naivety. But he doesn’t save her, she saves herself, and that never happens in one of these kinds of movies. In fact, I’d love to explore the idea of Joe being a fantasy projection of Nina’s. But yeah, there [are] some scary things in this film—it doesn’t tell you how to feel. Here’s a scene [in which] he’s angry. Or here’s a scene [in which] he’s this or that. He’s one of those characters that are essentially good, but so many things have made him a mess. It’s almost like a Francis Bacon painting. That’s what my friend Samantha Morton (who was “Morvern Callar”) [said]. She came to see the film and said [it] was like a cinematic equivalent of a Francis Bacon painting. And there’s something scary in those paintings; there’s something alive, violent and sexual. So I thought that was a really good way of describing it.

The most fascinating part of this process is when you hear people’s interpretations. It can sometimes really surprise you, and you can see there are many different things this film is to different people.

I want to go back to what you said, about Nina saving herself. That goes hand-in-hand, in my opinion, with your film’s idea of masculinity. He might be the hammer-wielding tough guy, but she is the one with the agency. You allow us to see her strength and his vulnerability, even fragility. I especially loved the human moments between Joe and his mother.

Yeah, [balancing these] was a bit of a process; one of the things I’d liked in the original material, which I was able to be very free with. I told the writer I’d never made a straight adaptation, and I wanted to go my own way. So [one thing] I really liked, and I explored much more in the film than were in the original material was the relationship with his mom. And then Joaquin came into that as well. And I’d always thought about Joaquin [for this role], because I felt he could give a vulnerability to this character, and it wouldn’t be that six pack guy who is invincible. In fact, I wanted it to be the total opposite of that—he’s kind of falling apart. To me, that makes [for] a much more empathetic character. Like you say, more human, rather than this thing where it feels like you’re watching something that ticks all the boxes.

the best of the at least three movies now where joaquin phoenix tries to drown himself

can’t wait for The Sisters Brothers with phoenix and john c reilly

1 Like

“When I first saw Isle of Dogs, I thought it might be difficult to make a poster that would add something to the movie,” Otomo explains. “It is filled with homage to Japanese cinema, including music directly from Kurosawa, and seemed fully realized already, with all its details in place. It was its own complete world. Then I had an idea: to paint a very traditional Japanese dog to represent the island itself, and a very traditional Japanese wooden floor as the sea. I hope my drawing will be a meaningful way to help share this film with the world.”

7 Likes

extremely traditional bad-ass eye-scar dog

Was linked to this excellent review on Halloween, which is absolutely worth your time.

Which lead me to another great review which helped clear up why I have a lot of affection for this movie, which I think is Fincher’s best since Zodiac.

A film about how the internet, the literal internet and the thought technology of the internet, has liquefied the gap between reality and context. Or maybe, because I spend too much time on the internet, it’s a movie about what David Fincher thinks about how you think, by applying the thought technology of the internet to the actual internet, the internet has liquefied the gap between reality and context. Listen: it’s a good movie.

I don’t like the idea of “digital natives” but people who mold themselves entirely through the internet from an early age do have certain personality traits, expectations and understandings. I think this movie is about how annoying it is to write these people to seem human in the traditional genre fiction sense

Detective fiction has a hard time with the internet. I don’t think this is necessarily just because it has made investigating too easy or too boring to look at. It has also made the moment of hanging on the cusp of a revelation totally perfunctory. This feeling, the almost-knowing with which good crime fiction tantalizes and great crime fiction brutalizes, is how people who have always had the internet feel all the time. It’s not that the moment of connecting the dots isn’t there, it’s that it happens so often.

There isn’t any excitement or revelation in seeing the world through a million different formats, screens and overlays. That’s what the world looks like. Girl With The Dragon Tattoo inverts Manhunter, old technology cracking a fundamentally digital case. The revelation at the end of Manhunter is Lisabeth’s understanding right from the start: can I see what you can see?

You don’t get better at the internet, you get more aware it makes you banal, omniscient god over what you can access. This is deeply, deeply cheesy and I am extremely sorry but: you see the matrix. What the Red Pill men get wrong is that this analogy does not work as some moral victory or great necessary awakening. Like the internet, this ability is not bad or good. It is totally, unnaturally neutral and so short circuits anything supposedly conceived in a moral, social universe

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo underlines its observation of the internet as a thought technology when a violent sexual predator is discovered after smashing the data together finally unwhorles his face, just like an infamous real life case. No wincing human or bullied confession, it is the plucking of specific points from a data set that ends in taking a piece of arrogance and running it backwards.

This is what Lisabeth’s simultaneous time, using a different dataset to come to an identical conclusion, in the archive explains: she’s not staying late out of some dedication. She is applying the thought technology of the internet, deeply aware of the tables of data to which she has and hasn’t been given access, cross referencing the way efficient computers do. When she discovers the information it’s a joyless relief, it’s not revelation. That’s why Fincher constructs a compelling mystery while casting an actor so obvious(and so compelling) in the role of killer he may as well be the special guest on an episode of CSI:Cyber. It’s right there, you have to input the correct command.

Lisabeth’s a-social hyper-competency, and how it frustrates everyone around her, is an internet person trait that makes a lot more sense than modern takes on Holmes. Often the internet/programming appears in detective and thriller fiction, to extend or speed up the traditional detective modes. It often needs to be combined with traditional gumshoe gumption to make everything clear. That’s not what the internet does. The internet is a thought technology and it is incompatible with empathy or hunches. This is why “hackers” are resigned to goofy weirdos with the one detail. Because their min/max data-driven way of seeing the world doesn’t just make them anti-social (skipping past the mundane, clumsy details of real life), it changes the way they see a problem and changes the problem too.

Several times in the film we are dragged into the worlds rapists and nazis create for themselves, how totally they allow themselves to be intoxicated by these worlds and therefore to let their guard down. The default mode of the internet is to wallow in your own self-involved filth, creating a world of solely of your own interests. The only thing that changes is the skill with which you conceal it. Really understanding the internet is seeing how these different worlds interact and seeing the totality with which they can be imploded on someone.

When a Human Hunch Meets Big Data moment comes at the end of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, it’s an inversion. Someone’s interior world is exposed, directly this time, via watching what they see on their screen. And there’s no data. It’s extremely Normal People internet stuff. Instead of noticing an accent or some other human touch

Lisabeth’s power, what damages her, is that she has omnipotence over any antagonists private world. By short circuiting language and expectations as simple as where to sit, by having combed through people’s heads, she has everyone in this movie surrounded.

Lisabeth asking “can I kill him?” is the best line in a superhero movie in the 21st century. Four words solidifying both the super power and the weakness. Highlighting that a calculation has already taken place and that emotional questions will always feel perfunctory. How people are occasionally not computers.

Rooney Marra towers over Girl With The Dragon Tattoo as Lisabeth. There is a physicality of someone who has had to invent themselves online, a confidence you grow into and an uncertainty that eventually becomes calculation. The fight on the escalator, the bike, torturing her rapist all contain this sense of seeing a command run through its actions after being imputed.

Three great stray Fincher moments in this: the supreme force with which I felt Lisabeth’s immediate rage at Mikael ineffectually clicking at Macbook mouse while standing. This totally encapsulates the gap between those who are used to technology and people who grew up with it.

The second is a brief clip of a tv news report that, although it fills the frame, has just enough inflection of a particular spectrum of light to let you know it’s a recorded screen.

The third is Enya.

11 Likes

That Halloween review was really something I needed to see today, thank you

1 Like

Yeah, I realise I undersell it by focusing on the Fincher one on account of really liking it while struggling to determine why, but it’s not like Halloween needs to prove itself any further at this point. Both reviews are really insightful reads on natures of perception and it’s always good to read something that disabuses misconceptions about behavioural issues, and always great personally to find genuine reads on horror stories.

Halloween could not be more ADD. The wide shots of the suburbs, all information flooding at once, only exacerbated by uniformity. Michael’s gliding pov shots, hyperfocus grinding into motivations, clouding around a memory, that seem to switch moment to moment. Michael’s the tantalising prospect of ignoring any idea of society: to flow all your energy into satisfying the Id, to allow whatever pops into your head to immediately become thinking of nothing else.

Terror driven by the act of noticing. Michael’s a distraction on screen but not in the traditional sense of over-emphasised yet irrelevant. He is “distraction” in the ADD sense: a colossal peak in the white noise of regular conversation or conventional life. He emerges where he isn’t expected, where he doesn’t make sense. But he doesn’t explode at first,=. He nags at, stalks, the periphery.

Laurie sees him when she should be listening to other people. She can’t stop making connection between the creeping thought of him and everything else than buzzes around her. This is why it takes her so long to act and why she has to.

Halloween contains the perfect amount of in-jokes and foreshadowing. Characters accidentally describe their own deaths, films play in the background that inadvertently narrate what’s about to take place. The concept of fear and the desire to be scared by cinema is deftly explained. These connections, between media and what’s happening, between what people say and what might happen: imagine if your brain saw these everywhere, imagine if you couldn’t stop making them. That’s what it’s like.

ADD isn’t near the worst thing to have and it’s definitely manageable. It’s not the end of the world. But seeing it invoked so incorrectly is irritating enough to elicit this kind of visceral description. I love long films. Any weird “endurance cinema” event I see, I attend. For me stuff like Out 1, Hard To Be A God or Werckmeister Harmonies functions similarly to techno, an immersive state that leads to euphoria. A place where total perception and waves upon waves of involuntary, overwhelming connections between tiny details are only rewarded.

Halloween is such a deft, perfect film, the cinematic equivalent of perfect pitch. So many ideas casually adorn its gleaming, swiss-quality genre mechanics that it’s possible to use it to explain anything. The fluidity with which Michael can haunt a frame matches the fluidity of what his presence can mean, a sinister shifting of any available context.

Wild that we’re getting sequels to both these films this year.

this is definitely a film review that makes me reconsider things

ADD is an inability to filter out information. If you are talking to me but I can even sort-of hear people talking two tables over, I will try to process both conversations at once. If I know I have more than one thing to do I will try to do every part of every task as it occurs to me. If I have three work emails to write, it’s not wholly unusual for me to write them a sentence at a time, shifting between all of them.
ADD can mean angering easily because of a pulverising, constant awareness of how close everything is to slipping away. But people close to me know that in any fight they can just change the subject and the argument will stop. It will often immediately leave my mind. I don’t blame them but it’s frightening.
This is a climate of fear created by an inability to stem the flow of information, fearing what you missing while discarding what you hope isn’t important. What people mean and what they’re saying can get so loud it clouds your vision but can easily be obliterated by an incidental noise.
Everything contains its own opposite so, of course, there are bouts of hyperfocus. You can’t control what they’re pointed at. It could be making an entire meal when you try to wash one dish, it could be writing a lengthy review of Halloween when you’ve sat down ten times that day to finish an email to a friend. Noticing everything is noticing nothing.

is this really what ADD is like?

Yes

6 Likes

Need to do some thinking today