MUWT 2: The Quickening

I guess it’s time for me to finally read Dune.

1 Like

Should have suspected Oscar winning movie The Shape of Water is yet another cinephile’s love song to the golden age of cinema (with the most middlebrow fish sex as a hook).

Del Toro seems like a nice guy with the best intentions. However, while he’s hailed as some creative genius, how much evidence is there? His movies expect viewers to just surrender to the “magic” or “dark fairytale”, all the while sticking the most conventional of movie beats. This is a movie that was obviously conceived to entice audiences (“a movie where a woman has sex with a fish!”) but then spends 2/3 of its runtime on a boilerplate cold war plotline.

Sounds like he’s…

Wait for it…

The Ersatz Haderach

2 Likes

:waynestare:

3 Likes

as far as middlebrow directors go, I would rather watch del toro’s self indulgent nerd fantasies than ever put up with an alex garland or jj abrams

like its not transcendent works of genius but its a far more appealing form of masturbation than anything those two have ever done

also insofar as it includes literal masturbation

3 Likes

Jonathan Glazer is the director-hero we deserve more films from

2 Likes

yeah the Virtual Insanity video was baller

I saw Phantom Thread in 70mm today. DDL and Vicky Krieps were both amazing.

3 Likes

Hell yeah, Under the Skin ruled.

2 Likes

Yeah. Sexy Beast and Birth are also both incredibly great. And that’s all we’ve got! Todd Field is another guy I wish would make another movie

Rewatched Carpenter’s The Thing, this time in cinema.

What a fucking perfect film. Came out from cinema with such satisfaction.

so surreal to read contemporary reviews. like, what the fuck.

1 Like

I went and saw a midnight screening of The Thing last month and I had a great time. It’s a classic for a reason!

During his introduction, the film programmer recreated the movie’s poster in real life. Here’s my botched photo of the attempt:

That dude is the best.

The Thing is an all-time fav and I try to watch it on or around every Halloween.

I knew I was an Adult when I saw that a little theater down the highway was showing it late on a Wednesday night and I just could not fathom going out to a movie in the middle of the week and being extra tired the next day at work, even for The Thing. It was terrible.

agreed on annihilation being meh

was hoping for self destruction in mold world; the monkey paw gave it as told thru cinematic hits like “mass effect” and “the last of us”.

lol @ the extremely meaningful shots of hands through glasses of water

3 Likes

This looks better than Annihilation maybe

2 Likes

what’s something beautiful I can watch for some hazmat decontamination after watching this sociopath for two hours

4 Likes

Rudie on a plane Rudie on a plane that means PLANE MOVIES.

I wanted to watch Pans Labrynth but the touchscreen made a mistake and it made me watch Pan. Which i did at 2x speed most of the way. This film had Episode I levels of people being told to look at stuff. It’s an FMV supercut that accidentally got released to theaters. It begins with THERE IS A PROPHECY and You Don’t Know The Real Story. The last line is “Hook we’ll always be friends won’t we?” Should have just played a foghorn.

So then Pan’s Labrynth in which bad things happen. And I wonder what the hell everyone else got out of this film. The seat in front of me was watching IT and I paused Pan’s to watch a lot of that through them. The actual monster scares seemed pretty cool. The growing up is awful and bullies are awful stuff would have made it unwatchable for me in other circumstances.

Coppola’s Dracula was hilariously great. It is so moody and ridiculous. Maybe more boobies than is comfortable for a plane movie? My seat mate had to use the bathroom so I had to pause on one of the more unusual sex scenes. I loved it.

Atomic Blonde is buying generic spy movie because the ingredients are the same as the name brand.

God, We Need to Talk About Kevin is amazing. I saw a screening of it at a theater last year and I could barely function for the rest of the night.

I finally saw Annihilation! I should have known that watching this movie after reading all 3 of the books for the first time would only be a let down, but I still enjoyed a lot of the movie. The music is really really great, the ending is shitty, some of the changes from the book made a ton of sense, other things I really missed a lot. I had read that they were basically adapting it as though the first book was the only thing that existed, but then several details seemed to be lifted directly from the second and third ones, so who knows.

For me it was a case where the special effects were like, visibly cheap looking, but the designs and colors were so appealing that it didn’t really bother me at all.

I still feel like the entire trilogy adapted straight would make for a really good netflix-ish tv thing, but I feel like maybe it would come across as a bit too reminiscent of Lost?

also changing the area of biology that the main character specializes in for thematic reasons has a surprisingly large effect on basically everything else in the movie, including what “the shimmer” / area x actually is. Was not really expecting that! But it worked, for the most part.

3 Likes