MUWT 2: The Quickening

Having someone shout “Major! There’s no path there!” during the opening stag coursing bit of Lost City of Z is really a+ right out the gate thudding brick-to-the-face theme statement just putting 19 lines in bright red ink underneath things just in case gr8 job

2 Likes

I saw Annihilation.

This tweet is a fireown.

4 Likes

Over the weekend I watched the new Power Rangers and was pleasantly surprised that it was better than I was expecting. I wasn’t really expecting anything to be honest, and early on I could tell they were going to tease me by holding off on the morphin’ until the very end, but by the time it came I had already decided the wait was worth it. The homages and callbacks were cute and the story was tight and without loose ends but I doubt I’ll watch it again (on my own just by myself) but I would watch a sequel.

I just read that Haim Saban and Lionsgate supposedly have a story arc potentially spanning six movies so maybe they’ll make a couple more. There was a rumor I think of the next one maybe having Lord Zedd in it. That would be just fine.

I also watched Valerian again but it took me two sittings. It’s lovely to look at but it’s just too long for its own good and I can’t really decide what could be cut other than the part with Rihanna and I’ve decided if the scenes with Rihanna aren’t really necessary then neither are any of the rest of the scenes for that matter.

It’s just a long movie and while visually spectacular the two leads kind of both fall flat in their performances. I chalk it up to a combination of doing most of the acting in front of a green screen and just being young in general and not having had much experience so far. Dane DeHaan was good in A Cure for Wellness though so maybe Valerian just wasn’t the right role for him. Likewise with Cara Delevingne, she kind of doesn’t do much in this movie aside from react to DeHaan being a cad. She was better in Suicide Squad and I feel bad for saying that because Valerian is a way better movie than Suicide Squad.

TFW you show your SO a classic movie of yours but you’re nervously afraid that she might not get into it at all, or that it might not actually hold up (you haven’t seen it in years)

And then you think about all the guys who tried this with predictably disastrous results with like, Star Wars a new hope or Fight Club. And you’re an absolute moron for believing things might end up better with your movie. What were you thinking.

But then it actually turns out incredibly well because your movie is Herzog’s Bad lieutenant

15 Likes

I had that experience with Eraserhead. My first sort-of-a-date with my gf was a midnight screening of Eraserhead. When she actually liked it, I knew the outlook was good.

2 Likes

Pacific Rim: Uprising wassssssssss okay. It’s not worth seeing in the theaters, but it’s worth seeing eventually.

It doesn’t have the emotional beats of the first, nor do you really care about the characters or the resolution of the story, nor is there any memorable soundtrack to speak of, so, that macho fist-pumping bravado of the first one just isn’t there. That sucks. A lot of the movie thematically and practically revolves around people that are related to characters you liked in the first movie, talking about how great those characters were. The general theme of the flick is more or less: “It’s okay that you’re not as impressive as your heroes,” which is a fine message on its face, but for Pacific Rim, just feels like they didn’t even fucking try.

Nevertheless, there is a series of genuinely well-done and creative mech battles, linked by the occasional exposition-heavy cutscene. I was impressed by how good this movie looked, how clear the action was, and how well the design of all the new elements came out. The various sets and cockpits and mech internal systems look wonderful. So that’s nice to see.

Unfortunately, that design inspiration doesn’t carry to the Jaegers themselves, which look sorta bland and Transformersey. If they were all colored the same, it would be really hard to tell them apart.

Yeah, I don’t know. It didn’t get me riled up, didn’t pull me in emotionally, and didn’t charm me over. But, I was entertained.

sounds like they took their own advice

2 Likes

Did anyone look Clint Eastwood’s vacuum cleaner of a son right in the eye and put both hands on his shoulders and say “and you… it’s ok that you’re not as impressive as your dad”?

2 Likes

“I’m still not sure why you’re here though.”

that would just be a repeat of his character in fate of the furious

1 Like

“I mean, Clint’s pull is with Warner Brothers, why is Universal so on team Scott Eastwood? Can someone give me a little help?”

everyone needs a thing and I don’t see him finding another one

Remember that time Will Smith made a movie about how his son isn’t as good as him

3 Likes

Jaden Smith is far better than Will at this point.

3 Likes

if the MIB reboot doesn’t feature Jaden Smith as an incredibly weird alien then I …

2 Likes

Isle of Dogs best movie

is it

i’m looking forward to it but i’m also like

basically hoping it’s only a little racist

5 Likes

if you asked me to describe my perfect dream film in five words it would be “wes anderson japan dog movie”

1 Like

I’m mad that The Young Karl Marx only got one screening in Boston and I didn’t know about it! I haven’t been this interested in a period piece biopic since A Dangerous Method.

on a real tip though i am v.upset with mr.anderson and the representational issues present in his latest film two hours of hot japan on japan dog v human action

not one speaking part given to a shib