MUWT 2: The Quickening

so the new noah baumbach movie has been released on Netflix (dunno if it will be in theaters) and i feel like it probably isn’t getting much attention

it’s not hard to see why, i don’t think this is like life-changing cinema or anything but it is kind of nice to have as a thing that occupies a very specific vibe that i have lost access to now that i can no longer enjoy woody allen movies

i am watching it ‘in installments’ (it’s semi-episodic) and i haven’t finished it yet but i can confidently say it’s the best adam sandler movie since punchdrunk love

i sort of wish it was an 8-part series instead of a movie divided into a few separate stories though

I feel like I have been aggressively avoiding it every time I turn on netflix

I really dislike baumbach, and it seems like a very very straightforward kind of postwar family chronicle, and I know I’ll basically like it, but apparently I was short of things to resent

w/r/t woody allen movies I really feel it was much easier to have watched all of his good work so many times that you were done years ago, since he’s not exactly replenishing those wells these days, rather than have to stop cold turkey due to him being a piece of shit who repeats himself

1 Like

i don’t think this is going to change your mind but it is more like if crimes and misdemeanors era allen directed episodes of seinfeld where it was about a family instead of a group of friends

most of the movie takes place while people are looking for parking

it’s good

2 Likes

if I watch it then maybe it will be in order to prove that baumbach is better at getting a decent performance out of adam sandler than judd apatow, whom I hate even more

1 Like

Just came back from seeing this. It was oppressive and deeply sad.

2 Likes

Thor’s upper arms are each the size of a toddler and capable of expressing independent emotions now.

1 Like

There is a sort of cute dragon (RIP).

There is a Goldblum henchwoman who might be one of the PROPHET clones.

There is a shake weight.

There are BIG! STUPID! LASERS!

There is a butthole joke that will not stop recurring.

Thor sees Hulk’s dick.

I would like to see the movie about Tessa Thompson just hanging out being drunk hating herself maybe sometimes catching and/or killing some fools on trashplanet. She owns a lot.

Her valkyrie armor is lame garbage and her usual outfit is just sort of “huh?”

Thor’s new hair looks a lot better tho

post count +1

1 Like

i saw thoree, one could say it was ‘thoriffic’

the pacing of the first act was all over the place but once they get to the wonderful land of goldblum it hits a decent groove. the humor is mostly of the good-natured guardians of the galaxy dorkiness and ad-libs but there were a few moments that made me laugh pretty hard, would recommend if u like colors and synths. should have had more synths though

I saw Shinoda’s Gonza The Spearman and Double Suicide on celluloid with a talk show afterwards with Shinoda himself.

An Old man hit with a newspaper when I tried to return to my seat for the second feature so i was stuck standing in the back.

Neither of those are very good films! The actual real effects of old film were fun. Burn and scratch marks and skips. Double Suicide’s stagehand non-actors are cool but about the only thing holding my interest.

Both films are assholes abandon their families for a prostitute then they die.

It was pretty great that Shinoda was just a very old man that told rambling stories about growing up refused to answer any of the presenters questions and repeated about 5 times that he had a professor that said he would never make films. Hilariously petty!

this reminds me that I didn’t really Get the Hiddleston Thing until I saw him in High-Rise

that wig is not doing him any favors!

3 Likes

Today I went to a screening of Shuji Terayama’s “THROW AWAY YOUR BOOKS, RALLY IN THE STREETS”. I was very ready for some 70’s Japanese leftist agitprop, and I was 60% satisfied! The film is made up of a series of ultrastylized vignettes, with a loose narrative of a deadbeat family running through it all. The standalone bits are amazing – An actor tells off YOU THE VIEWER and blows smoke in your face for sitting there passively waiting for the film to start, a man with a stutter explains that he sees stuttering as an ideology, a trio of youngsters give a lesson on how to enjoy recreational drugs, a wild rally tears through the streets, and an American flag covers the screen before burning apart to reveal a bunch of dancing people wearing masks of American politicians.

Unfortunately, the narrative throughline is tired Freudian bullshit with two lengthy and completely unnecessary rape scenes… That really brought the film down in my estimation.

But Terayama is super interesting! I’d recommend this short, which totally blew my mind when I saw it in the theater (NSFW, includes orgy):

When I saw this in the theater, at first I thought the first silhouette to appear was actually a real woman standing up in the theater and blocking the screen. It was an incredible moment when the second silhouette appeared. It’s a shame that this effect only works in the theater.

4 Likes

I really adored woodshock, it’s just about the only movie I can think of that’s reasonably accurate to my own experience of grief and the cinematography is perfectly intuitive.

I don’t fuck with stuff like this very often these days but something in the village voice review told me to give it a shot and I’m glad I did. Made me think of a strange time in my life with more understanding and forgiveness than normal.

1 Like

Alien Covenant was just a collection of vinnettes but y’all should watch the power loader scene on youtube it is pretty cool.

Well i can’t find it on youtube. I did find all the super CG looking stuff was practical effects and now am super confused.

I saw The Florida Project yesterday. If it’s still playing in your area, you really owe it to yourself to see this movie. It blew my socks off! I see a lot of movies all the time, and few of them make this much of an impression on me. I’m still rolling it over in my mind 24 hours later, and I think I’ll still be processing it in a week.

It’s such an honest and humanizing portrayal of extreme poverty. It’s painful, but it’s also uplifting, funny, and completely entertaining on a moment-to-moment basis. It treats its characters as 3-dimensional people, not as props to make a point. It doesn’t glorify them or belittle them, it just shows them living their damn lives. It features the greatest child acting I’ve ever seen by a longshot. Willem Dafoe has never had a better performance than this. The film perfectly captures the seedy side of Orlando that I’ve driven through many times.

It has an ending that would sound utterly preposterous if I described it, but the film pulls it off beautifully and hits a perfect emotional note that made me cry all through the credits.

2 Likes

my favourite bartender keeps telling me to see that and I always forget the minute I walk out the door, thanks for the reminder

I wish I had a favorite bartender who was into wild art films! Tip them extra and see the dang movie

I showed that movie and all I can say is the director doesn’t hate me so it must be okay. Also the girl (Brooklynn) seemed totally cool whenever I was walking past her.

10/10, would recommend despite not seeing