MUWT 2: The Quickening

so, reconvene in a couple of weeks for Blade Runner 2049 then?

it could be worse, at least you didn’t see The Hitman’s Bodyguard

…right

not yet

well, I hope you enjoy Samuel L Jackson’s European Vacation when you see it, hopefully for very little money

It’s not too late. I’m pretty sure that this is my favorite movie since Fury Road. Unlike Fury Road, however, I have not been recommending it to everyone without reservation. A lot of people sure seem to hate it, such as those sitting on either side of us in the theater. They loudly expressed their disappointment with it after it ended.

1 Like

no, it’s too late

I already have tickets for Flatliners and the MLP:FiM movie

Why the god damn fuck would you make a Flatliners remake. I am beside myself

1 Like

ppl still die, man. we wanna know what’s over there

2 Likes

Was Millar actually involved in the Kingsman sequel? Of course they’ve started a comic sequel too but it’s a completely different writer and artist team on that as well. There’s jokes about getting Terminator sequels directors wrong. It’s not very good at all!

1 Like

god dammit it’s not coming out til february here even though it’s out in november in france.

I watched Kingsman 2 yesterday. The politics of these movies are so confusing. It seems they’re going by a formula where the villain is always working toward a leftist goal using methods so evil that they seem to discredit that goal. And the methods are so stupid and bizarre that you can tell the writers were twisting themselves in knots trying to think of ways to make good causes sinister.

Kingsman 1’s villain was trying to stop climate change from killing everyone by… killing everyone.

Kingsman 2’s villain was trying to legalize drugs by killing all drug users.

I’m calling it here, Kingsman 3’s villain is going to try and pass gun control laws by shooting all gun owners.

Also, it’s really fucked up that they used a real, highly publicized case of tainted drugs as a fun quirk of their villain’s plan.

http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_474CF2C8A20B4173988486AC4C605A3C

In 1982, a bad batch of synthetic heroin caused an outbreak of artificially-induced Parkinson’s that left many users paralyzed. This would have been prevented by sane drug laws; if heroin were legalized, then it could only be procured from legitimate, regulated sources. Heroin’s illegality directly led to this outcome. In Kingsman 2, this real tragedy was perverted to be a strike AGAINST legalization of heroin. What the fuck, screenwriters?

1 Like

the first one also had a lot of stuff that was just like, perplexingly bad taste

Yeah, the first one’s reverent nods to Reagan and Thatcher threw me for a loop.

Edit: And how could I forget the fucked up anal sex joke it ends with too.

TBH it’s not surprising the politics of an overtly conservative movie are stupid

3 Likes

AMERICAN MADE doesn’t seem inflected much by being a Cruise Vehicle. Dubious addition to the Cruiser Canon.

There is a Townes song in it:

JACKIE CHAN IS THE FOREIGNER doesn’t have very much Jackie Chan in it.

2 Likes

He’s getting old, man.

We watched FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER last night during Halloween Club. I loved it. It was about Dr Nadir and some space lady stealing Earth ladies because they “won the war but have no women.” And there’s an android astronaut in there somewhere I think. Also a drunken pool party and tons of stock footage set to go go music. If you’re like me and get a thrill out of hearing people say “robutt” well this is your kind of motion picture.

It’s still in the playlist if you wanna check it out.

vlcsnap-2017-07-25-13h36m39s779

vlcsnap-2017-10-14-13h14m53s878

vlcsnap-2017-10-14-13h15m33s831

vlcsnap-2017-10-14-13h16m45s413

vlcsnap-2017-10-14-13h16m49s604

vlcsnap-2017-10-14-13h17m11s877

vlcsnap-2017-10-14-13h17m07s545

vlcsnap-2017-10-14-13h09m08s353

vlcsnap-2017-10-14-13h18m40s259

vlcsnap-2017-10-14-13h19m50s650

vlcsnap-2017-10-14-13h22m27s347

vlcsnap-2017-10-14-13h28m12s192

6 Likes

I didn’t expect Jackie Chan to be Jackie Channing a lot like he did in his prime, but he’s literally just not in the movie very much.

It’s a political thriller/family drama about a REBEL CELL of the IRA doing some bomb crimes to bring back the old days that mostly focuses on Pierce Brosnan and his hairy old man tits (finally, I have something in common with James Bond!) trying to maneuver except WHOOPS JACKIE CHAN’S DAUGHTER GOT KILLED IN THE FIRST BOMBING so he’s this gnat that keeps stinging Brosnan’s general vicinity to inflect his motivations.

Sort of. The main throughline would work out almost exactly the same without Chan’s interference, to the point that Agents Of The British Police State are literally waiting on the Go Codes to take out the People Responsible when Chan busts in for his personal vengeance. There is something they could have done with Chan getting there first that might have made this whole “the state deals with terrorism and meanwhile personal revenge side story!” thing sort of morally interesting or worth churning through but they don’t do it so it’s just whatever.

The politics of this thing are fucking weird in ways I don’t think I can even parse as an American.

As always I have the most to say about C-quality action vehicles starring aging men who look like distraught turtles.

2 Likes

What possible mileage could any writer get out of an IRA plot in 2017. Is this like, British 80s post-imperial imperial nostalgia?

I watched half of this today because I’m sick, it was fun enough, didn’t feel like sticking around for the comeuppance