MUWT 2: The Quickening

Threads is very good. My favorite post apocalypse movie because it avoids the libertarian wish fulfillment fantasy endemic to the genre.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to have to mention Peter Watkinsā€™ The War Game too.

Very clear after last weekā€™s Question Time that these films should be aired on repeat daily.

2 Likes

My local library had The War Game, and on the same disc was Culloden. I was impressed with both, though I couldnā€™t decide whether there were intentional moments of dark comedy in at least the first half of Culloden, or whether that was unintentional.

1 Like

this power rangers reboot is a nightmare

1 Like

So like do you reccomend it on those grounds?

1 Like

I watched Thailandā€™s Suddenly Twenty on a plane. Then I watched Vietnamā€™s Suddenly Twenty and went woah these are identical films.

Thailands was better I guess because the actress looked a whole lot like Audrey Hepburn.

Interesting to see two films tell the same story the same way with the exact same structural problems. The internet was slim on details on what is the original source for this story or how many other countries version of the same movie i can continue to watch.

I just finished reading HELLBOY IN HELL and HELLBOY THE MOTION PICTURE is on netflix and Iā€™m sick so I rewatched it.

Itā€™s pretty bad!

1 Like

i really want to see the second one again because i remember it being better than the first, but it will never avail itself to me on netflix and that makes me pissā€™d

i saw both before i read any actual hellboy, and have had a chance to see how bad the first movie is in comparison to the books but havenā€™t been able to revisit part 2.

iā€™m not exactly hopeful for the new one coming out, either. but the books still exist so oh well.

I donā€™t remember 2 very well but I donā€™t recall it fixing the fundamental problem of ā€œletā€™s make Hellboy act like a generic smarmy action jerk and about 14ā€.

Also both movies just being a place for del toro to stick his ā€œpretty ladies want to make out with angsty monster menā€ fetish to a point that it overwhelms the stories.

I might watch it today because I luv 2 suffer!!!

I watched it today because I luv 2 suffer!!!

It is better than that first movie but itā€™s still tonally really weird and gives way too much of its running time to sitcom level interpersonal shit. Sometimes feels like a really high budget CW supernatural show with great art direction.

hey though, itā€™s got that guy thatā€™s totally not Elric of Melnibone in it though

He even wants to fuck his sister!

Elric was also known for his wushu spear stylings

Hellboy 2 is ā€œlook at this character you love!ā€ for an audience not familiar with the source material it felt like.

Iā€™ve never read Hellboy! Actually, I refuse to read Hellboy but I love Mignolaā€™s art. One time I met him at a convention and got a bunch of his old stuff heā€™d done on Phantom Stranger for DC in the 80ā€™s. He was a big dick about the whole thing but something told me I had to have mad respect for this dude who illustrates hunks in shadows.

Why do you refuse, itā€™s not like you have to actively avoid accidentally reading hell boy

I refuse to read Hellboy because the time I would have been genuinely interested in reading it has passed. The people that originally recommended it to me made a point of drumming me over the head with what a No Good Bad Dude I was for not reading Hellboy. Everyone since has made it out to be the Biggest thing andā€¦Itā€™s too a point where stupid nerds revere Hellboy to a point I donā€™t think Iā€™d actually revere it.

One time at a comics panel I asked a bunch of modern comic artists if they read any comics that were didnā€™t have superheroes and they all went silent. Meekly, from the side of the auditorium Greg Capullo asked if Hellboy counted.

Sorry for bringing back memories of that trying time

1 Like

Hellboy was super popular during that time, and itā€™s very ripe for canonization as being very Mall Goth. Mall Gothā€™s loved that shit. All of the goofiest parts of it were the parts the Hellboy Fandom hung unto and all of the worst characters are the ones these dumb ass kids love. I sure as hell donā€™t give a heck hoot about any guy who would ever be voiced by Seth Mcfarlane.

Mignolaā€™s done like everything for every comic with his art and hereā€™s what Iā€™ll say: you can experience that due a whole hell of a lot better as just an artist to appreciate and not some fuckin fake occult book about Red Demon Man

Hellboyā€™s good tho

1 Like

Helllboy is a good dude

1 Like