MUWT 2: The Quickening

I love that part too, especially Indy’s “oh shucks you guys keep it down” hand wave.

But! I still can’t figure out how he got in and out of the sub unnoticed. This bugged the shit out of me as a little kid and it still does!

Yeah it’s a bit of a plot hole, but it’s nothing a little suspension of disbelief can’t handle. And if that island they got on wasn’t that far away and the sub never submerged all the way he could have just hung out on top of it.

The map shot linking the two scenes makes it seem like it was a fair trek, but idk. His condition in the dock certainly bears out your hypothesis though.

A throwaway line among the sub crew about not submerging would have helped clarify, but would have totally screwed up the pacing.

I saw La La Land. I honestly didn’t care for it very much. Musicals aren’t my thing, but I thought since I enjoyed some jazz I might enjoy it. I liked the beginning when they were both struggling artists, but things just didn’t pan out story-wise.

[spoiler]So Keith, the only black actor who has any lines iirc, gets male lead to join his band. Male lead does not like the fusion aspect of the band even though it is successful. This is the issue that ultimately breaks male lead and female lead apart. Does that make Keith the villain? There’s no real conflict.

In one scene Male lead’s band plays. You can tell it’s not the “pure” jazz he likes. Female Lead in the crowd also makes a face like “this is the crap you guys play?”. So why does these scene play out? The song plays until it ends. None of the lead characters enjoy the song. I dont enjoy the song. Why even?

At the end we see an alternative sequence of events that starts with male lead kissing female lead. Why? Why anything?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The villain is the idea that male lead can’t hold down a job to make money to make his dreams come true; he sells out for a bit and he’s surprisingly realistic about it while at the same time female lead still has her head in the clouds. He just gets the money he needs and bam, fucking club. She, on the other hand, gives up after her play bombs and even had to be convinced to go into the casting office for the audition.

Real life is the villain. Being an adult is the villain.

The end bit is just Seb playing that mournful piano song, which they probably both associate with each other, so, you know, fantasy path not traveled[/spoiler]

The xXx Cinematic Universe is real

1 Like

I give John Wick a watch Collateral first.

As an atheist, I found Silence to be a powerful piece of work.

1 Like

Now I hope these exist in the same universe, which also brings in Jason Statham’s Transporter flicks, which of course would exist there.

1 Like

I can’t believe someone has registered xander.zone and it’s not a xXx fan site.

2 Likes

Oh yes, this scene is my favorite:

And my love for the sequel is almost entirely because it indulges in that 3 or 4 times:

1 Like

little nicky fucking rules

1 Like
1 Like

this was a good trend/director tic

1 Like

tbf, who doesn’t love the way Oshii combines spiritualism and humanism

1 Like

Pretty much all of Oshii’s movies do this at least once from Patlabor 1 onwards. I like these scenes because they basically sum up the themes of the movie in a sort of abstract way, while also kind of giving you a breather from all the dense plot happenings.

Then there’s Assault Girls where he basically does a self parody by making a 15 minute long sequence of just people walking around the desert looking at snails on statues

1 Like

well I think

I should watch more Oshii

1 Like

Everyone is making me sad I missed the showing here :frowning:

I tried recommending Oshii’s live action films in another thread but I don’t think anyone was having a bar of it :frowning:

I mean they’re probably not really good movies and they’re somewhat pretentious, but the aesthetics are pretty cool imo. Also basset hounds

I have a box set of 3 of his live action movies on DVD. For some reason.

They’re weird.

Yeah I have that same set. I imagine a lot of people bought that because they were fans of Jin Roh and ended up being very confused