MUWT 2: The Quickening

fuuuuuck

Lego Batman is good

really good

Aside from being a functional movie, a hilarious comedy and a bizarre action flick, it also has some weird and deep cuts w/r/t both Batman and anything Warner Bros. might have rights to (they randomly insert a clip of Adam West doing the Bat-tusi; the Hanna-Barbera created heroes from Superfriends pop up for a cameo; Batman & Robin is referenced solely by a picture of the nipples of the Batsuit; Chekov’s Bat Shark Repellant; the villains at the end comprise of an army of a bunch of random properties, including Voldemort, Daleks, Saurmon and Gremlins) and a bunch of weird shit (Catwoman vocalizes only in meows; Batman owns a copy of Serendipity on bluray; the plot is essentially a romance story between Batman and the Joker). Even the music score is crazy, since it’s a mix of evoking Danny Elfman’s Batman scores and sneaking in as many variations of the 60s Batman theme song as they possibly can.

It’s every bit as good as The Lego Movie with bonus nerd jokes all over the place and it doesn’t even matter if a joke doesn’t land because there’s like two or three more right around the corner

4 Likes

Robocop and Starship Troopers are the best double feature.

1 Like

My entire Twitter personality is Robocop-themed

It’s good for the Trump era

Arrival is at Redbox now.

I was not prepared for the ending! It touched a very specific emotional nerve. I am very rarely moved to stinging tears, but.

whats the over under on the armond white “get out” review

I got weirdly emotional at the end of La La Land despite thinking Gosling was a douche for much of it and being unable to look at Emma Stone’s face for more than 30 seconds before her eyeballs start looking like these two overwhelming spoons idk maybe it was the wrong time to start adderall (?)

thank you armond

not gonna click but race hustlers in the tweet should have been expected

How does Armond feel about Trumpism, actually?

his review of The Great Wall is something else

Very much for. And he just talks about liberals constantly. I used to think he was entertaining but it’s gotten really dull. Out Armond is at least funnier than National Review Armond, and he sometimes does the same movies.

Welp go fuck yourself Armond

he’s the only high-profile film critic whose positive reviews of movies are more entertaining to read than his negative ones

1 Like

Also he RTs Cernovich.

I never even heard of this Get Out movie. Why haven’t I heard of this Get Out movie, it sounds great.

I’ve watched 3 movies over the last 2 days.

Saw “I’m Not Your Negro” yesterday. Maybe you don’t need to rush out and see if you’re familiar with James Baldwin but I found it extremely moving just watching him speak. He had this amazing face and voice and he made these great stuttery gestures as if he were conducting an invisible orchestra as he spoke. Maybe coulda devoted a little less to old timey Hollywood shit and any time at all to kissing boys, I dunno.

Tonight I saw a double feature! The first film was “The Love Witch”. All I knew about this movie going in was it all “In Technicolor”, which is the sort of thing that usually turns me off – like, I think “Black Dynamite” had some good gags but it also left me wishing I’d watched a Rudy Ray Moore movie instead. But a friend said “you should go see that”, and I’m highly impressionable, so I went to see it.

Outside the theater I saw this sign saying it was 120 minutes. You can probably watch both James Whale Frankenstein movies in 120 minutes. That is way too long for a horror throwback. I hoped it was a mistake. Then the credits rolled, and I saw the editor was also the writer, director, producer, and set designer which is very impressive but also confirmation that this was probably gonna be way longer than it should be.

And it was. It was so long. It peaked half an hour in, after the Love Witch meets a guy named Wayne. He gave an exquisite performance, outshining everyone in this picture. I want to say it was Shatner-esque but he veered between extremes more smoothly, he was totally willing to look vulnerable and pathetic, and he didn’t go totally over the top with every line. I just looked him up and it looks like he’s a soap opera actor, which explains a lot. But once he’s out of the picture the movie just nosedives. The other victims are fucking bores. There’s this one scene at a renaissance fair that included a musical number and it felt like it had to be 15 minutes and half of that was shots of jesters and shit. I went to the bathroom and it was still going when I came back.

I was ready to scream by the end of “The Neon Demon”, cuz it was so close to being a great, beautiful exploitation movie but NWR is too much of a baby to just embrace trash. Cut that runtime in half and you’d have a movie I’d love. Can’t say that about “The Love Witch” though. Trim the fat and I just woulda been more accepting of the movie losing steam as it progressed. Maybe they shoulda saved all the piss and tampons for the climax.

I was in such a crummy mood I considered skipping the second movie, but “Sunk Cost Fallacy” is my middle name. So I stayed for “The House of the Devil”, and thankfully it was good. I guess it is pretty old? I had never heard of it, though I recognized Ti West’s name from…somewhere. I enjoyed the build more than the climax but I think I hate horror movies now yet I enjoyed this well enough.

Yeah, I thought it was a good re-introduction to him, but the way it sorta glossed over his sexuality was pretty disappointing.

Moonlight is so good everybody

Even though everyone loves it I almost want to say it’s underrated

Like it’s so good I don’t understand how it was nominated for so many academy awards if that makes any sense

1 Like

makes perfect sense, literally just texted that to somebody else

Wow so that was weird. Are the academy awards good now or what

I can’t remember a more deserving best picture winner. The more I think about it the more amazed I am that this movie even exists

Tbh I didn’t know much about it going in other than the trailer, but before the movie the theater played a clip of Barry Jenkins talking about how Chungking Express made him want to be a filmmaker and I started to get hype

Was not disappointed, it’s that good. Reminds me of Wong kar wai, hou hsiao hsien, only American dirs I can think of are maybe Gus van sant at his best. But w better actors. I hope Terrence Malik sees this movie and experiences regret about how he’s spent the past few decades

whoah, hard sell, I’ve gotta catch this–

–hey, what now? You leave Tree of Life and my cry-space out of this!

1 Like