MUWT 2: The Quickening

Jack reacher 2 was fine

It wasnā€™t horrible I guess, but it felt kind of like an episode of a mid nineties jack reacher TV series on USA, that the McQuarrie film would be an inspired re-imagining of

Also Tom lookedā€¦ Puffy?

Man, this movie totally rules. Ghibli with amped up, naked menace is so my shit

2 Likes

It was very much worth being told the wrong time, driving across town, and then having to drive all the way across town the other direction to see it.

2 Likes

True Stories is incredible. I love it. Iā€™m from Virgil, Texas.

3 Likes

I canā€™t love this movie enough. I wish I could buy a nice version of it but the best I can find is an Australian widescreen DVD. I watch the intro every few months, which may be my favorite part:

I only wish he managed to squeeze Laurie Anderson in there too

1 Like

Watched Phenomena last weekend also, and loved it (Iā€™m grateful that at least Amazon Primeā€™s terrible interface lets me dig in to find their weird stuff, where I canā€™t convince modern Netflix to show me anything beyond their top 100 no matter how I try. I want trash!) Interesting how sedate it is until the last 15 minutes takes a hard turn into shock and the vat of gore just had my wife gasping, the decapitations, the mutilated handcuff escape, oh man

It was shocking how directly Clock Tower apes this ā€“ itā€™s the same degree that Deadly Premonition runs on Twin Peaks. And ā€˜mansion horrorā€™ seems to have been a big aesthetic in mid-90s Japanese horror. Resident Evil 1 makes more sense in backwoods Europe, with Americans abroad, then it ever does as a US locale.

Also too: the title track could fit in place as a Castlevania track (it rocks):

1 Like

Phenomenaā€™s soundtrack rules so hard.

Even when an Iron Maiden track suddenly pops up out of nowhere.

Especially when an Iron Maiden track suddenly pops up out of nowhere.

1 Like

this drives me mental and is the main contributor to my cancelling netflix every time Iā€™ve signed up for it for a month to watch one thing that I canā€™t find a torrent of

nothing makes me upset like polished, check-out-these-big-budget-favourites presentation, thatā€™s why I prefer the interface of torrent sites in the first place. admittedly I am not going to make anyone any money as a customer but still.

1 Like

They used to have a ā€œcustomers also watchedā€ queue you could dig into endlessly and I loved it. Now I can catch one of a dozen Netflix originals. This does not improve my life.

Iā€™m very grateful someone linked instantwatcher.com because when canIStream.it became obviously broke I feared Netflix had shut down their API for title listing.

those are typically useless in canada because the selection is so much worse due to different licensing here and no one can be bothered to make an app that checks the canadian API endpoint. thereā€™s a whole cottage industry here of people who use VPNs to get access to the US netflix selection and it boggles my mind, the interaction becomes so much worse than piracy at that point

1 Like

I guess the more obvious answer is that I should listen to more Goblin. Rectifying now.

Their Suspiria music, which may have already been mentioned, is amazing and a good place to start

Speaking of Phenomena, Jennifer Connellyā€™s fly cube sequence shows that Argento could have made a wonderful Nancy Drew (or generic girl detective) movie.

2 Likes

My wife said sheā€™s a lot like a videogame protag in that she keeps getting beat up and just gets up, unfazed

Sheā€™s pretty awesome in it

Thatā€™s weird because it seems like Netflix canā€™t wait to show me every DTV action movie in its catalog. Unless that isnā€™t trash enough for you???

man I wish

LIVE BY NIGHT continues Affleckā€™s streak of looking too batman massive for any role that isnā€™t Batman.

Otherwise a handsome bore.

2 Likes

Raiders of the Lost Ark holds up as one of the all time great films. I mean, itā€™s racist as fuck and itā€™s bullshit that Karen Allenā€™s character goes from two-fisted tough when we first meet her to passive/helpless by the end. This aside, itā€™s so compulsively watchable. I meant to just see the beginning, and ended up sitting through the whole thing. Itā€™s a masterclass on pacing and editing. Thereā€™s no fat on it at all, just 100% Pure Movie.

I also love how they got away with a juicy head shot during the bar fight, not to mention the gory climax, on a PG rated film.

1 Like

I think itā€™s the pacing that makes it a true masterpiece. Every scene and plot point perfectly transitions to the next. The action and tension keep building up throughout the film.

One of my favorite moments in the film that is largely forgotten is when Indy swims from the smuggler ship to the German submarine. At first the smugglers donā€™t know where Indy went, then they spot him and then they start cheering him on! Itā€™s exactly how the audience should feel.