MUWT 2: The Quickening

SoCal? Could be any idiot from anywhere, really.

heā€™s a good boy donā€™t be mean to him!!! :tired_face:

YOOOOOOOOO

Go watch a horror movie on netflix called Darling. It is the Beeā€™sKn

SB will like it

along the same lines, go watch a horror movie on Netflix called Pontypool. freakinā€™ awesome.

2 Likes

Canadian production! Good one, too.

La La Land: Isā€¦ is this a movie about modern Los Angeles with no black people?

Maybe it was just the theater I was in, but for a musical all the singing is mixed really flat and back among the instrumentation. It was quiet in general and the spoken dialogue was easier to hear than when people were belting notes.

Also it had that Disney movie-musical problem of forgetting it was a musical about halfway through when the plot got moving.

I had more of a crush on Ryan Gosling than Emma Stone. All I kept thinking of was Only God Forgives. Like, this guy is an actor. He can act!

I guess Iā€™m just too annoyingly political these days but for a movie about Dreamers with Dreams itā€™s kind of ironic that the big moment of emotional catharsis isnā€™t when Emma Stone writes and acts her own play but when that play gets her cast in some big important movie (i.e. not when she creates but when capital deems her worthy of a higher wage). Cecil B. Demented is a better movie about Art Rebels.

Overall I liked it.

1 Like

I saw Werner Herzogā€™s Into the Inferno. It was amazing. Some of his best work and greatest footage I have seen are in this doc. He ties it into some of his earlier works La SoufriĆØre and Encounters at the End of the World. Itā€™s not the main focus of the film (itā€™s about volcanoes!), but there are scenes that were filmed in North Korea which was really interesting to see from Herzogā€™s perspective.

Itā€™s on Netflix, check it out guys!

1 Like

Passengers: In this movie two young clueless beautiful white people survive only because a cool grizzled black dude who actually knows what the fuck he is doing enables them and then instantly dies.

Other than that itā€™s a nice little movie about solving a practical problem of human size (though it canā€™t resist a bit of Hollywoodian grandiosity, at least itā€™s not about Space Evil and planets blowing up).

All Iā€™ve heard about it is how creepy Chris Prattā€™s dude actions are in it, and that sounded bad enough, but yeah, of course the black dude helps them, dies soon, and remains completely not in any trailers.

To be fair, the movie is about the fact that Pratt has committed a terrible crime, and although it ends in a way you might not like at least it addresses that idea directly.

Black dude is just black dude. See ya black dude. (Heā€™s Larry Fucking Fishburne, show some goddamn respect The Passengers)

1 Like

Oh shit he is in this? Someone needs to do a killer Passngers/Event Horizon mash up like now

Yeah, every review I saw mentioned the ending basically being a big ā€œā€¦But itā€™s OK you did that, Prattā€ and ugh.

I think thatā€™s too simplistic, honestly. Heā€™s never really forgiven so much as mitigated. Significantly, J Law doesnā€™t just come around on her own, it takes life-threatening situations that require both their efforts to fix before the wound can scar.

EDIT: I mean, donā€™t get me wrong, I donā€™t want to sell this thing as some real plumb the depths psychological masterpiece, but for Hollywood itā€™s ok.

Thatā€™s fair. It looked like just middling Hollywood sci fi, and you are making it sound like that, which is fine. Iā€™ll probably just watch it on streaming at some point.

I donā€™t know what youā€™re talking about

There were plenty of black people in the movieā€™s LA, and they all love jazz

Only in a modern Hollywood movie would you find the white guy being the traditionalist and the black guy being the forward looking innovator in jazz

Pretty much my major complaint about this moviefilm is that white guy has the audacity to claim that jazz is alive only to poopoo the idea of fusion later on

I saw Princess Mononoke for the first time today in a theater as part of itā€™s 20th anniversary or summit. It was pretty great, although I was not a fan of the dub.

4 Likes

I really like Billy Bob Thortonā€™s performance more than the J-one.

Here is a magically secret a lot of Japanese dialog isnt great!

2 Likes

why did no one tell me how bad jack reacher 2 was

I didnā€™t bother watching it because no Herzog. How bad is it?

We figured it not being a McQuarrie joint was sign enough, let alone him being replaced by Edward Zwick.

1 Like