MUWT 2: The Quickening

This came in the mail last week. It was amazing.

Love this movie

the ultimate road trip movie?

an excellent meditation on death

Was my first Kurosawa, rented on VHS from the local library.

The last image of the first piece really stuck with me.

I rewatched (#1 greatest movie of all time (tied with PREDATOR)) The Conversation the other day.

Roger Ebert’s review of this here motion picture famously opens on how

“His colleagues in the surveillance industry think Harry Caul is such a genius that we realize with a little shock how bad he is at his job.”

Nah.

Caul’s job is to get a nice, fat recording then turn it in. He’s a technician, and an apparently excellent one. Everything else–his reflexive, guarded lies and omissions; his secret agent man snooping on his ladyfriend, his attempts to keep his home secure from outside entry and communication–are part of a personal pathology that relates to his work skills without being within their sphere of control.

He fucks up his attempt at involvement so royally because he’s stepping outside of himself, his skills, his role. THE CONVERSATION prefigures Michael Mann’s dictum that characters who violate their own self-imposed rules are sowing the seeds of their downfall. You limn your own universe. Step outside of the island you’ve made of yourself and yeah, you get lost at sea.

Duh.

Gene Hackman is a magnificently awkward screen kisser. Looks like Nosferatu trying to feed on Teri Garr.

2 Likes

Goes to Easy Rider for me.

Yeah, The Conversation really would fit as a Michael Mann movie.

It’s unreal how good the sound design is in that movie, especially for its time.

#murch

Well lookee here, my favorite dead film website wrote about this and I didn’t even remember it.

1 Like

I saw Miss Hokusai this weekend, and even though the animation is uneven and the soundtrack is… questionable… I still really liked it. This movie almost achieves my ideal standards for plotless pre-20th century period pieces, which is my favorite genre, but sort of tries to tie things together at the last minute into some kind of tragic grand narrative that was sad and sweet but still felt unnecessary to me.

See it if you like meandering, episodic narratives about people going on extremely mild adventures in edo period Japan. It left me wondering if the manga it is based on is just as obsessed with documenting moments that are only barely meaningful, or if the movie ended up so good just because they couldn’t decide how to condense a longer, more coherent story into something shorter.

I saw that there Moana on Wednesday. It was pretty good. Good enough that I don’t regret shaving all my fuzz off so I didn’t look like some unhinged lonely male going to see a kids movie by himself. And the songs were fantastic, several steps up from whatever the fuck they were doing in Frozen (a song about how fabulous a Giant Enemy Crab thinks he is). And there’s brown people! A whole movie of brown people! Thick brown people! It’s so good that I didn’t mind the script’s attempt to take the piss out of the Disney Princess formula (the best being that the cute animal disappears for 90% of the movie and the audience is left with a terminally stupid chicken).

Also, there were people arguing that Moana had no character arc in the film. These people are not only wrong, they’re stupid because 3 of the songs are literally spelling it out for you.

1 Like

At first I thought it was this Moana (miniseries) - Wikipedia, and felt out of the loop because I didn’t understand your level of irony

I would shave to see this in public so people wouldn’t assume I’m a serial masturbator

2 Likes

I saw Hell or High Water. I didn’t really dig it in general but what the heck at comparing predatory lending to the American Indian genocide? The fuck out of here with that.

the last 30 minutes were ok

but yeah that wasn’t on

It does my heart good to see that a movie as shockingly inept and awesome as River of Darkness can still be made in the 20XX.

Bless you Bruce Koehler.

I just saw Alien$ for the first time. I had accidentally chosen to watch the Special Edition. Then going back and seeing what was different between that and the theatrical. Why the fuck would you ever watch the original version? The Special Edition gives Ripley all the motivation to do anything. Like the film almost doesn’t make any sense without…that. It’s early in the movie and a 30 year old film at this point, but it was a shocking moment for me.

Everything with the Queen was goofy.

The queen riding an elevator was really funny

the queen is the only thing i like about alien$

I like Hicks and how he comes around to using his little authority to just go with whatever Ripley says but I’m glad Fincher killed him.

Kill 'em all Finch.

i like hudson the best because of his sense of humour. and his accent (what american demographic is it supposed to represent anyway?)