MUWT 2: The Quickening

I tried to get my friends to watch Fire and Ice once, telling them it was a good ‘dumb fun’ movie. They outright refused on the basis that it was me suggesting it. Probably because I had previously tried to get them to watch Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Svankmajer’s Alice and La Planete Sauvage.

I finally got around to watching Kooky, which I got off a Humble Bundle years ago. Cool little movie, although the ending got a little weird with all that stuff involving the homeless man.

This is pretty much my opinion, but I also have to admit that I barely remember a lot of the movie

I went and saw Certain Women today. I loved it. I love pretty much anything that’s quiet with lotsa shots of the West. But this was very good. I’ve never seen any of Reichardt’s movies before so I didn’t know what I was getting into but there was a vibe to it where I could tell there wasn’t gonna be any violence and I really appreciated that.

I was the youngest person in the audience by 40 years. I think maybe everyone else was part of some seniors movie club, and I guess this is a motion picture that reviewed well? And way more elderly people know about Rotten Tomatoes than I would have expected? Cuz throughout the movie these old folks kept saying things like “three and a half stars!” and “91 percent!” Which was really weird. At the start their tone while dropping scores was like “you know this is gonna be good!” but at the end it was like they’d been conned. There were a few "That’s it?"s when the credits rolled. I liked that almost as much as the movie.

I think I’m probably more interested in discussing filmgoers than films.

[quote=“Father.Torque, post:573, topic:226, full:true”] in the trilogy. I have a very big hard on for Sam Raimi’s peccadilloes, so I don’t know that I’m really a neutral enough party to make rational judgments regarding his work.
[/quote]

Spider-Man 3 is like a 70s issue of Marvel Team-Up. It is really stupid and fun. Even the uncle-Ben’s-death-wasn’t-Petey’s-fault thing was fun, because it just totally gutted the character. Just such a horrible idea. But it was funny.

3 Likes

Continuing to watch movies that I didn’t see due to bad word of mouth - Southland Tales.

It’s so trashy and hilarious. I was expecting it to be literally incomprehensible, but it’s just dense and weird. I wonder if it’s more palatable now because everything has vague plot holes explained in cross media garbage.

Also weird - on the BD some of the CG effects have jaggies. Not sure if it’s a master or some GAINAX shit where they ran out of money.

Yeah Southland Tales rules.

It really does. I say it every time, but it’s the best Philp K Dick adaption dispite, you know

saw ‘into the inferno’.

what a thing of beauty. bless you, werner herzog.

he’s really stepped up his output lately and it’s all great. was there a big boost in his American reputation for documentaries after grizzly man or do I just think that because it came out when I was 18?

1 Like

The funny thing is that Southland Tales has an accompanying comic (the movie is chapters 4-6, the comic is chapters 1-3) that people thought would explain more. It doesn’t really, as I recall.

It’s probably near the top of my favorite movies. Not the best movie, but may my favorite.

I definitely recall hating every shade of shit outta that film, but I do wonder if it’s now a better fit for wherever my head is or if it’ll be like trying to accomodate MGS4 again

the difference from MGS 4 is that no one pretends the movie is unironically good.

i saw doctor strange and it wasn’t very good : ( i was sort of hoping it would at least be cool looking, it had maybe 3 cool looking scenes. in spite of being one of the weirder-looking marvel movies it has probably the least interesting characters and dumbest non-plot. i was hoping it would be like guardians of the galaxy levels of eye candy… the bonus is the clouds in the twilight sky driving home after the movie were amazing, better visual effect than visiting the dark dimension imo

1 Like

I appreciated that the solution to the Giant Cosmic Threat was realizing he couldn’t overpower it and instead using a time loop to be a petty dick until it was tired of it.

The actionstuff might have been really rad if it had been shot and edited better.

…so, yes: I’m saying it would have been better if it was better.

This is a movie featuring Scott Adkins as an Evil Henchdude and for most of his featured part he’s in astral form, thus literally robbing him of his physicality.

agreed. i spent the whole movie just thinking about very easy changes that would have made it way better

They sure put on a master class in wasting a perfectly good Rachel McAdams.

Strange seemed to blow through the Hogwarts Monastery Lookbook though he didn’t waste a chance for wardrobe change.

Maybe your clothes are in flux until your first relic finally chooses you idk

1 Like

oh and I liked the teacups

they looked nice

So, is there anyone of Asian descent in Dr. Strange or is Tilda Swinton the closest we’re getting?

Wong is in the movie, though presumably not as an obedient asian manservant.

You know, they could have avoided all charges of racism by not doing an origin story. Its entirely tertiary to the appeal of Dr Strange in comics and the origin story is just an artefact of the casually racist 1960s.

Wong’s another established sorcerer who minds the magic library and threatens to murder Strange if he breaks the rules.

He then does not murder Strange when Strange breaks tons of rules.