MUWT 2: The Quickening

Ever since I saw the Equalizer the only Denzel I want is improvises murder weapons in a Home Depot Denzel, and every thing he’s in that isn’t that just makes me sad

They should do a Jack Reacher meets the Equalizer cross over, where they are trapped in a wal mart fighting off neo nazi gangsters or something

3 Likes

Speaking of The Equalizer where was that one stuntguy with the really specific mustache and giant beard? The one that gets a beard crime done to him in John Wick? He would have improved this mess for up to 27 seconds.

Oh and Starlord was miscast, sold less than 32% of his lines.

the internet was a mistake

3 Likes

Everyone that clicks that link will become dumber.

1 Like

dad is that you

1 Like

Confirmed

where is that media stuff that makes you cry thread

Man I didn’t like the Equalizer either. I wanted to. There’s some part of me that craves either true DTV B-movie action or some artsy fartsy Refn bullshit. Anything in between doesn’t scratch any itch any more.

Well the Equalizer and M A G 7 REDUX both fail for the same basic reason: Antoine Fuqua isn’t a competent action director.

A lot of DTV B-action can be relied on to deliver better thrills on a pure technical basis than he does.

The latest Johnny Strong vehicle has better executed action the the Equalizer!

1 Like

I don’t remember feeling any way in particular about the actual action, but Denzel Washington murdering people in a Home Depot is an excellent concept no matter how poor the execution

2 Likes

I tried watching that documentary about the Raiders of the Lost Ark fan film those dudes made as kids (and finished as adults) since it was sitting their on NETFLIX but then it stuck Chris Gore and Eli Roth and Harry Knowle’s useless faces on my tv in such rapid succession I almost lost consciousness and had to turn it off.

This is worse than when Devin Feraci shows up in things!

Tokyo Story is good hey. Can’t get the two sequences of Noriko dropping into her neighbour’s apartment (replate w gorgeous shrouded baby in mosquito net in foreground) and then back to her own, which is identical.

& just as struck by the eerily familiar tones of Noriko and Tomi discussing their husbands’ alcohol use: “he was a drinker / was he a drinker?” boy that sure is my family discussing family history of alcohol abuse

e: & cicada breath! tomi’s belaboured breathing matched with the summer drone of crickets

ee: maybe its just bc im playing dq7 atm, but the music reminded me of dq. is dq the ozu of videogames

i was just thinking about this film. really happy seeing it mentioned a month ago. time, time, time. i saw it in 2012 when it was in Ottawa and i was in highschool. i havent forgotten it. its very special.

I rewatched Army of Darkness for the first time in probably over a decade and

I hate to break it to y’all

(this is is probably going to be a huge shock)

but I don’t think it accurately represents period metalworking capabilities even considering the addition of the contents of Ash’s trunk!!!

next thing you’ll tell me Ash fired his shotgun three times in a row without reloading

I know the cool movie nerd opinion is to like Evil Dead 2 more than Army of Darkness but honestly is there really any movie better than Army of Darkness. No there is not.

I still use the ‘jack and shit’ line when someone at work asks me if I’m in charge.

For pure ott-ness evil dead 2 wins but army is loads more fun.

This discussion is reminding me that I should watch darkman again and see if it holds up.

I watched Darkman for the first time relatively recently as an adult in full possession of my critical faculties and it is absolutely rad.

Then again, I think Spiderman 3 is the best one in the trilogy. I have a very big hard on for Sam Raimi’s peccadilloes, so I don’t know that I’m really a neutral enough party to make rational judgments regarding his work.

Darkman is Raimi’s best movie.

Army of Darkness is full of great skellingtons and great skellingtons being exploded.

I’ll do the high-pitched “Let’s get the hell out of here!” for the rest of my life.