MUWT 2: The Quickening

BLOOD FATHER has a lot of weird gunstuff problems that stick out.

Ol’ Mel is pretty compelling when he’s losing his shit and letting what we’ve learned are his actual demons run between formulaic plot dots, though? The girl playing his daughter isn’t as good but she does a pretty fair spoiled idiot kid who got in over her head being an idiot kid while remaining sympathetic and probably isn’t a gross old alcoholic racist that’s threatened to kill/beat loved ones. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Shrug if there is one thing I wish in all the world it’s that we could go to movies together.

1 Like

Am I crazy for thinking American Ultra was actually pretty good? I wish it was the actual fourth Bourne identity movie, the non Bourne one, rather than the boring Jeremy Renner version. It really would have expanded the universe.

Quick thoughts:

A Hard Day’s Night was better than I expected. Has good energy and is full of dumb jokes. so many jokes. Weird how the dialog all feels fresh and then they switch to the studio mix for the songs which never feels great.

Lola was a fine pleasant French people with love at the wrong time.

Lady Snowblood. Boy Tarantino didn’t hide how much he took from this. It has enough going for it for a B-(almost C) Samurai revenge film though.

1 Like

flatliners has a bizarro je nai se quoi that prevents me from being totally into it. the soundtrack should have been bauhaus rip-offs and rave, that’s it. lighting and effects are sick. it is now obvious why schumacher got “the batman job”

really good morning shot, i bet he drinks pomegranate juice out of that glass sometimes

I saw Don’t Breathe and I thought it was pretty ace. I had a good time and I am glad I saw it in the theaters.

I feel like no one talks about it, but horror seems like it’s in a really cool place right now? Like, not that the movies are better, but they seem to be more interesting. I have to assume it’s the internet’s fault. People making short films and getting picked up to make them longer or whatever, but there is a lot of high concept horror with cute ideas going on right now and I really prefer it to the Asian horror remake era, the Saw era, or the bad haunted house/supernatural stuff from a few years back. Stuff like Lights Out is still stupid horror made for teenagers, but it’s a much more interesting concept than we were getting until pretty recently.

I haven’t seen Don’t Breathe but there is a no budget indie movie called Crush the Skull that has a similar ish premise. “Reverse home invasion” or whatever, but the bad murder guy isn’t blind or anything. It’s almost certainly not as technically proficient as Don’t Breathe, more of a comedy / thriller. But it’s worth watching IMO.

The more I think about it the more I think I really liked Lady Snowblood. And 12 minutes into Lady Snowblood 2 I declare it rules.

i saw the vice documentary heavy metal in baghdad at 2 am crashing at my friend’s apartment after an acid house show. his drunk roommate was making chicken nuggets and was very confused that the iraq war happened at some point in history. totally baffled that it ever happened. the scent of chicken nuggets go well with things from the mid 00s

2 Likes

THE FURY foregrounds aging Kirk Douglas’ continued virility as contrasted with his on-screen son’s in a really strange way for a movie where they both get so little screen time compared to Amy Irving being fretful in a nightgown.

Turns out LSB2 gets real not ruling after those first 12 minutes.

Yeah, the second one pretty much lacks all the stylistic flourishes that made the first one stand out as a particularly well made exploitation flick, turning it into just a regular old exploitation flick.

meiko kaji still stares at people and things idk what more you people want gosh

Well they could have at least included the theme song

rudie whats your opinion of sister street fighter

saw three hours of christian marclay’s the clock. 5 am, 6 am, and 7 am. what a great thing to experience after staying up all night. the morning really kicks ass. i love being human

3 Likes

Finally got around to CRIMSON PEAK last night and wrote a little review that basically boils down to “man I wish there was less of this dialog and none of this framing voiceover” so maybe @Father.Torque is right about me idk

I watched Elysium for the first time and wow! I am never letting word of mouth kill my froth again. The fucking anime-ass samurai showdown on the bridge was amazing.

Western creators channeling Japanese pulp aesthetics is my favorite thing.

Look at this fucking frame:

I’m assuming folks told me not to bother in 2013 because they are squirmish bourgies.

it’s just that it’s not on par with his other movies.