MUWT 2: The Quickening

i want to watch a movie that is romantic and maybe will make me ponder life

Hitch

i am intimately familiar with the filmographic canon of will smith and i could watch hancock instead because hitch doesn’t have a super nut scene

forgot to mention but wow is everything in the movie so fast. they cut all the time! i kinda wanna see wolf warrior 2 to see If this editting is common to super high-budget mainland-chinese films or if it’s because the wandering earth is based on a novel

Oh yeah, One Very Important Thought I left out about Detective Pikachu:

There is one scene that is pretty much a straight-up Super Smash Bros Melee match between Pikachu and Mewtwo on Pokefloats.

This kind of sounds a bit like what I was saying about Detective Pikachu reminding me of Chinese TV adverts. Watching TV over there was a bewildering experience because of all the fast moving scenes, cutting frequently and eventually being unable to tell whether it’s still the same advert or the next one.

This, plus what I remember of Chinese blockbusters in recent years like Painted Skin 2, makes me think they just really love piling on the spectacle with fancy editing and cinematic flourishes

I watched First Man. Its the one about Neil Armstrong. Played by Ryan Gosling.

I thought it was really good. I have no clue how “accurate” it was to Neil’s actual life and/or personality and affectations.

But, as its own sort of inspired thing, I thought it was real good. It focuses really close in, on Neil, and how he reconciles with life’s trials. Both personally and professionally. But it doesn’t bog down on any of it. We get brief pauses to take in something and then the movie keeps moving. And you eventually get a sense that’s part of how Neil is (may have been) dealing.

Its actually not much of a space movie. So I wouldn’t go into it expecting a bunch of exposition on that. Its all certainly a very bold setting for this story. But its really just about Neil. However, the directing is very effect and really sells the mechanical and physical realities during cockpit shots of various contraptions and aircraft, leading up to the moon walk.

Some of the music/soundtrack choices were kind of eccentric. I like it all and thought it all worked. There were a couple of scenes where I was consciously wondering how that music was chosen and why it was working for me, even though I was actively questioning it.

Ryan Gosling and Claire Foy were both excellent. And all supporting cast worked well.

Like Whiplash, this was really meaningful to me as it dove into the separation and inhuman nature of devotion towards work and excellence. The flattening emotional aspect one takes on with professionalism. The weakening ability to commit and make decisions in everything else as core competency concomitantly increases, as you become aware of your weak mastery and strive to avoid it.

The distance that stress creates from everyone closest

Honestly, out of all the movie I saw in theaters last year, First Man was the one that I really appreciated actually being in a dark room wit a huge screen and taking it all in. The moon sequence was shot in IMAX and between the perspective as he first looks out onto the surface and the absolute and unyielding stillness of the view (probably one of the few times I’ll say something nice about digital projection), it struck me as truly awe inspiring

AND THEN GREEN BOOK WON THE OSCAR WHILE FIRST MAN WASN’T EVEN NOMINATED AND I REALIZED THAT LIFE IS SUFFERING

all is vanity

sorry neil :frowning:

I mean he probably knew better than anybody

I was broke and v. depressed when First Man came out and thought “it will get another run during awards season” but then it wasn’t nominated for shit which goes to show that you can’t count on anything in this mixed-up crazy world full of Green Books and Bohemian Rhapsodies, etc.

could you imagine being the poor guy at Comcast NBC Universal And I Think There’s Another Company In There and having to pick two movies from last year to do concentrated awards season campaigns for and your dart landed on Green Book instead of First Man and you ruined Spike Lee’s pity Oscar

I was feeling nostalgic toward the 90’s.
I watched Clueless for the first time. I’m not a Jane Austin fan so I don’t know how it holds up as an adaption of Emma, but as a coming of age movie it’s good.