MUWT 2: The Quickening

I don’t recall saying I hated it and its mediocrity

1 Like

I’ve watched 30 minutes of Captain Marvel so far and I kind of like Brie Larson as a terminator I guess.

But she smirks occasionally!

Buckle up, turns out that’s her entire personality

2 Likes

that is literally every Action Dude’s entire personality

1 Like

ok some of them are also allowed to do swears

For me it was the most Marvel Formula cinematic yet, unsurprisingly a pure device in the greater scheme they got to.

What is the out-brand MCU film?

doesn’t exist next question

Ha you’ve got my otherwords

What is most fringe for them

Iron Man 3 (Back in the Habit)

1 Like

it’s Spiderverse, obviously

prove to me that it isn’t MCU canon when it connects all canons

spiderverse is lovely but intensely boilerplate

3 Likes

it’s the simplest story told but I contend it’s not very MCU formulaic

I mean besides the constant wise cracks

and the dramatic arcs

and the heightened stakes

if you ignore all those things, it’s its own movie!

3 Likes

Disney is going to buy storytelling and shove it in the vault, aren’t they.

I can’t believe I jokingly posted that after seeing that they inserted a new subplot into Aladdin that answers the question "“does Genie fuck”

he does

4 Likes

i think the mcu movies have mastered a certain kind of polish to make everything seem familiarly formulaic even if it isn’t

like, even though nothing particularly surprising or wonderful happens in IW or EG in terms of like narrative structure there… have never really been movies like that before

which is why it’s funny to me that to a lot of people it just reads like it’s television, and even though we’ve decided that television is good now, it’s apparently like the bad kind of television that isn’t real art

1 Like

Multiverse storytelling unfolds inherently so far level or rather (in this case titular) post-endgame for any franchise, so that anything flinging open the door to endless remixes of characters and events (where said aspect wasn’t already in the forefront, maybe something like Doctor Who which I know next to little about)

is geared to swirl everything about a once extra dimensional ceiling, turn funhouse mirror rote and bottom barrel.

It’s always gonna be exciting but can also hit like a doom counter to separate yet sparsely interconnected storylines so they just fractal kaleidoscope etc.

Best to accept the course that can’t be altered I just hope audiences can eventually reach the Tired Point, let it recede when its high tide, consequence and character rediscovered on the shore.

The TV series already established that in the original animated Aladdin canon.

1 Like

They even shot that 10 minute cameo before filming for Captain Marvel started. And If i remember correctly, they didn’t tell her who she was playing for that cameo.

I just finished watching Captain Marvel and I liked it. It was pretty solid. And I’m not really a fan of these Marvel movies.

The problem I have with a lot of them is that its just been a bunch of origin stories which have been VERY loosely connected to a handful of I guess “core” movies. And then they tack on a throwaway villain and doomsday plot, so that our origin hero has something to do now. But by the time they get to that, there isn’t enough time to do it justice and to also really have fun with this character’s powers.

I really wish they hadn’t done that. Origin stories for everyone. The general population knows the origins of the main marvel characters. and the ones we don’t-----its probably not that important. What is really interesting about these characters is that they are super. I wanna see what sort of “super” story telling is possible. Yeah, it might be nice if they had personalities and emotions, too. But Marvel didn’t really go forth with that, for most of them. Even Captain America, who has a pretty lengthy and compelling story leading up to getting his powers----is then curtailed to being that meathead from the past who doesn’t know anything so lets joke about it. It was a really weird decision.

Its all (the characters in these movies) turned into mostly just a couple of different shades of jokes and sarcasm. Only dialing up some emotion as a scene demands Regardless of what their origin story otherwise showed of them. And really-----I don’t think most people are truly wanting to see the realistic, psychologically busted versions of these characters in bright muted color power suits. Especially in this more cartooney/comic bookish flavor.

So I did appreciate Captain Marvel for just being a hot head who wants to get stuff done. And they sort of did her origin in half reverse. So we got to the cool stuff right away and then back pedaled for a minute to be like ok yeah she got hit with a blast of engergy which you already knew or could have guessed and even if you guessed wrong, close enough.

And it is cool to finally see some cool female hero characters. They don’t have to be the best movies, overall. But if they are doing cool stuff and it doesn’t feel held back somehow (like, here’s the part where we hit the brakes and remind you that she’s a girl and that somehow means we can’t keep things cranked to 11 for the whole time), then I’m having a good time. They have even done that shit within the Marvel movies previous to this. In Ant-Man, Evangeline Lilly, who played Kate from Lost (see: a badass, hateful, no remorse motherfucker; whom I will never disassociate from Evangeline) stands around with her arms folded for nearly all of the movie. And is constantly told that her ideas are dumb.

Atomic Blonde is a pretty crappy movie anytime we aren’t watching a fight scene. But, those fight scenes are fuckin great and they really let Charlize sell the hell out of it. Captain Marvel did similar, in a Marvel style. When that Scroll shrieked at her and she shrieked back before pummeling him: I knew I was gonna like this movie fairly well. And they kept that part of the characterization pretty consistent. Later scenes reminded me of any number of hot headed action dudes and there was also a big helping of: Hey you know how girls are always treated like they are weak or should always look for direction on how to act? NO!

And yeah, scene to scene, the power levels and the stakes are all over the place. But, what stayed consistent is that Captain Marvel got to do a bunch of cool shit which the audience would probably think to do. And looks great and cool the whole time. Even her mohawk headgear suit which has zero explanation but hey its awesome, so what!?!

The bar scene where she sees memories of past Carol (overlaid on the environment) included her in front of a SFII arcade cab, and it happens so fast I actually entertained this same nerdass nitpick:

In Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers ends up in the local Pancho’s Bar while trying to figure out some things about her past that keep messing with her mind. As she walks through the bar, she’s hit with a swarm of memories in front of her, including one quick shot of her celebrating after winning a round on the Street Fighter II arcade game. However, there’s a problem with that.

The Street Fighter II arcade cabinet wasn’t released until 1991, two years after Carol Danvers was believed to be dead. So by the time Street Fighter II was released, Carol would have already been part of Starforce and therefore unable to play the game in the years before then. In fact, the cabinet shown in Captain Marvel is Street Fighter II: Champion Edition , which wasn’t released until 1992.

Which isn’t the case really, digging it up she appears to be playing uh…something I can’t identify

FLIGHT****2000 ??? fitting in any case

1 Like

Internet people hated on her and this movie so hard :confused: