MUWT 2: The Quickening

i’m glad this is what it’s doing I remember seeing the trailer and the one part that I got excited about more than anything was when they were like “we studied to get into good colleges instead of partying” “but everyone who partied also got into good colleges”

3 Likes

the actual scene where Molly finds this out is hilarious because it’s basically everyone dunking on her in the space of a minute

1 Like

Hearing you two talking about that theme made me head straight to a movie theater and see Booksmart, and it is GREAT. I wish high school movies were this good when I was in high school.

1 Like

i know right??? it’s nuts. they made an almost one minute long, pov sequence where you see goku beating you up and flying n shit. what the hell

1 Like

I recently watched “First Man” and posted about it.

I’ve just watched “Hidden Figures”.

In terms of cinematography and directing, not as impactful as First Man. The general tone is lighter and it wears its hollywood contrivances on its sleeve a whole lot more. You know, the ABC’s of how we can make racism and segregation palatable. However, the story is every bit as impactful and arguably even more important. The acting was excellent. And those two things work above the contrivance, for some really powerful and poignant scenes. Scenes which hit you in the face. But also, some lower key scenes which still cut right through you.

It also makes me reconsider First Man a bit. As I don’t remember seeing anyone depicted in that movie, related to what Hidden Figures is about. And in reverse, Hidden Figures did nothing to touch on what First Man did. Even though the focal points for the stories of both movies are very different, they both cover the same general period, at the same place. Yet, I find it strange how completely separate the stories feel.

Anyway, I recommend Hidden Figures. The filmaking may not grab you like First Man does. But the subject matter and characters certainly will.

1 Like

I love Bong Joon Ho as much as anyone but wondered during a big part of Parasite’s runtime why exactly these (enjoyable, well shot) wacky sitcom hijinks won at Cannes?

I don’t want to spoil anything but now it’s one of my all time favorites and I’m going to rewatch it in a theater ASAP

2 Likes

borat - wish it was more lo-fi and amateur but theres some pretty transcendant scenes in this shit. its the best when borat is behaving like a likable person in the midst of american carnage

aladdin (2019) - i wanted to be on mushrooms for this but i wasn’t. i hate it when people sing, love it when blue will smith clones himself and smiles

pootie tang - pootie tang > 70% of the criterion collection

2 Likes

6 Likes

Theres not much in Pootie Tang between the farm and the end but I agree.

1 Like

today I learned the end of Deep Rising was supposed to set up a Stephen Sommers-directed King Kong remake

I guess that’s one way to do it

fucking weird to have Wes Studi in your movie and you’re planning on maybe making a King Kong but you kill Wes Studi before he can be in your King Kong imo

I mean I guess in the battle between Wes Studi and King Kong there’s no tension, you know Wes Studi is coming out on top, so you have to omit him from the scenario? but Stephen Sommers isn’t really into the standard conventions of Makes Movie Interesting anyway so he might as well have planned to throw his strongest asset against the world’s largest monkey instead of fucking treat williams, Professional Boat Man

I rewatched Jurassic Park III for the first time since it came out, and there’s like a few moments right at the beginning where the cut-rate Spielbergian ‘complicated family’ thing is executed in just such an off kilter way that it feels like the whole movie is going to be about a bunch of David Mamet characters being eaten by dinosaurs, but then all of that just sort of melts away and it becomes way less interesting

This made me feel really weird so I looked up the screenwriters and apparently Alexander Payne was one of them, LOL

5 Likes

I wish I could have the audio tracks on silent films playback in midi form

1 Like

is JP the worst most successful franchise ever? i don’t think there’s much comparison especially after Fallen Kingdom

Right now I’m doing something I have wanted to do for a loooooong time:

Merge the Kiki’s Delivery Service Blu-ray video track, with the english audio track from the original DVD.

You see, I prefer the original English track from Disney, with all of Phil Hartman’s dialog intact and the added music. The Blu-ray release cut out some of his extra riffing and some of the added musical bits. There’s more added music than just that poppy theme song.

*its so important to me, I’ve never done a complete watch of the Blu-ray :frowning:

1 Like

i mean there’s transformers

5 Likes

Oh my god I love this so much. I have made my day.

1 Like

I watched A Separation by Iranian director Asghar Farhadi the other night, and I can’t stop thinking about how impressed I was by it.

Now I guess I have two favorite movies from Iran. (Where Is My Friend’s House? is the other one.)

5 Likes

caught Late Night at a late show last night

it was okay but also kind of insufferably woke? like, I’m a brown guy with thick curls (well actually they’re more like nice and very voluptuous curls like a Shirley Temple) making a fro on my head and I was going “okay maybe you’re hitting me over the head with this a bit too hard”

anyway, I’m ready to hand in my race card over this opinion

2 Likes

ive been sick

i enjoyed A Land Forgotten more than i expected to, evocative and delirious & a great interpolation of counter-strike

Bedevil is tight, a queensland haunting anthology.

2 Likes