MUWT 2: The Quickening

this sounds like an extremely cruel jab (i know it’s not) and i love it

1 Like

Course I can rely on SB for more positive holler @ the Matrix sequels, they were excessive in plenty of amazing, some goofy ways and caught a lot of stigma just from following progression in that world/story! Same goes for next level trying to up the Cool, I think it became cooler to hate on 4-5 years after the groundbreaking first and its impact? Fatty good cuts with a lot of work put in.

I literally played out my Reloaded score disc, was hyped as hell for Juno Reactor to be working with Don Davis and knew Burly Brawl/Mona Lisa Overdrive well before seeing the scenes they’re used in.

Enter the Matrix is some nostalgic jank, Path of Neo is glorious fanservice.

Yeah the thing I love most about the Sequels is the idea that the situation is so much more nuanced than the first movie presented it. I don’t think it sticks the landing perfectly but I really love how it tries to subvert itself.

The problem is the first movie is basically perfect. You can’t really make a sequel that will hold up to anything as well made as the first movie.

Plus from a certain point of view the first movie is a transgender empowerment fantasy so it has a lot going for it on that count. Even if the Sisters didn’t necessarily know that’s what they were doing. Or maybe they did? I dunno.

Both the Matrix games are pretty cool in their own ways. Enter tried to be a game that actually mattered to the story, but didn’t work as that too well but was still fun in its janky weirdness.

Path of Neo is amazingly weird, and has that amazing ending with the Wachowskis as stick figures that also double as the first public acknowledgement by Lana of her trans-ness.

1 Like

I keep reading (but I don’t know the original source) that Neo’s Matrixself was supposed to be a woman, and one of the crew is named Switch SO

1 Like

It was Switch who was originally scripted to be played by a (cis) man in the “real” world and a (cis) woman in the Matrix.

Hence the name.

1 Like

Sucks that “red pill” is code for “become a misogynistic asshole” instead of taking control of your identity.

1 Like

6 Likes

i cough discreetly, and a nauseating torrent of electric green 0s and 1s and random japanese script pours out of my mouth

the matrix should come back as a dis.art original series and really continue where online left off

6 Likes

I hated every moment of this entire action setpiece when I saw Reloaded.

I should maybe rewatch all the Matrixes, though. My opinion on action and excess has softened considerably since I was 19.

it’s funny how that freeway scene with Morpheus feels exactly like a Superhot level in retrospect, complete with ultra slow-motion movement and Uzi

Oh hey I made a pretty good post in here

1 Like

13 Likes

street mugger joe chill finds out he might come to kansas for the rest of her jewelry

3 Likes

Superbrothers: Bat & Family EP could have been lit

Us is a preeeettttyyy big step down from Get Out but still worth seeing IMO. It’s weird as hell (good) but doesn’t make any sense if you think about it for more than five seconds. I still like that Jordan Peele is making horror movies for people who don’t really like any other modern horror movies

1 Like

The Beach Bum was better than expected! It’s, like, not incredibly funny (except for everything to do with the dolphin tour guide, which was some of the funniest shit I’ve seen in a theater in a while). But it was altogether a really pleasant and enjoyable watch. Startlingly pleasant, coming from Harmony Korine! I was worried that Korine was pulling a David Gordon Green (dude went from great dour art films to Pineapple Express), but this doesn’t feel like that kind of selling out at all. Movie is still hell of weird.

It was a pretty decent satire of Florida’s shitty culture, and its particularly ugly kind of wealth. Take it from me, I grew up there!

Edit: Also, Snoop Dogg was good.

3 Likes

are you a Spring Breakers fan (hi), and would you say go on those grounds?

1 Like