MUWT 2: The Quickening

how many people walked out of the theater during the cg wiener scene when you saw enter the void? for me it was: 3

1 Like

the number of people that walked out of my living room where i was watching it alone: 1

11 Likes

iā€™m seeing Climax on Saturday because i heard from @dongle that itā€™s actually good.

Enter the Void was the first one i saw by him, and the best part was at the end, when it goes all white and says ā€œENTER THE VOIDā€ and some lady in the audience said ā€œare you fucking serious?ā€ and the entire audience lost it

18 Likes

I donā€™t like Enter the Void but I wish I did

but I have a decade-long obsession with that credits sequence

I keep looking for bigger screens and darker rooms to watch it on

Iā€™m hoping that time I watched it in VR is not the end of my journey

I may even like it more than Hype Williams does

2 Likes

best thing to come of ENTER THE VOID was @wonder_momoā€™s ENTER THE NOID gif

7 Likes

I must see this lore once more

enter-the-noid

also i agree the credits sequence is absolutely amazing and worth seeing in a theater alone and then walking out on the rest of the movie because iā€™ve completely forgotten everything else and prolly for a reason

14 Likes

YESSS

i havenā€™t seen it! i just have some Trusted Friends who have similar sensibilities (and reservations about aspects of his past films) who endorsed it.

well, Climax was dumb as hell lol

will elaborate more later

The other day I went and saw Nobuhiko Obayashiā€™s latest film Hanagatami. It is bizarre and beautiful. If youā€™ve seen his famous campy horror movie Hausu, imagine a far more advanced version of that visual style, applied to a 3 hour long devastating art film about the experience of growing up in Japan during the run-up to World War II.

hanagatami2

The editing and visual effects are outrageous. Scenes will switch between black and white and color, shots will be constantly mirrored back and forth, significant moments will be accentuated by Noh drums. The film takes green screen effects beyond all responsible limits, painting backgrounds in completely unrealistic, expressionist ways. Out the window of a kitchen youā€™ll see an impossible view of a stormy ocean island, and when the camera moves through the scene, that image will unnaturally move too, in the way that a real window view never could. In a schoolhouse in springtime, whenever a student opens the door to the classroom the entire screen will suddenly be overlaid with falling cherry blossoms. A terminally ill girl confined to her room falls off of her bed and the room around her dissolves into an ocean she swims out through. The artificiality of these effects really adds something to the film.

A few examples:

Itā€™s just so generous with its imagery, non-stop visual inventiveness.

Like Jodorowskyā€™s recent work, this is a film directed by a very old man who knows heā€™ll be passing away soon and wants to take the moment to examine his childhood and send a very strong message to try and keep his generationā€™s traumas from repeating in the future. It ends with one of the most intense and direct provocations Iā€™ve seen in a film.

I really, really recommend this movie! Iā€™ve never seen anything like it, at all.

18 Likes

In a way, the film actually kind of reminds me a lot of Twin Peaks: The Return, but it goes way harder.

1 Like

Damn Iā€™m definitely gonna see this

1 Like

Damn wish i had seen this here! Had I known!

1 Like

ok, so Climax

the main verdict is that i thought the movie was boring. even as an ā€œexperience,ā€ i found myself mostly wishing i was doing something else for most of it, because what was happening on screen wasnā€™t interesting.

things it does ok: the dancing is good, the music is good, even though some of it is anachronistic for 1996. it captures the feeling of ā€œhaving a bad time on drugs while you hear the bass of the music in another roomā€ well.

but mostly, itā€™s likeā€¦ok, and?

the movie also veers into what felt uncomfortable and kind of racist, having the characters who are the most violent, and who say the most misogynistic and rapey things, be black. were i younger, iā€™d maybe think that was unintentional, but in 2019, i take that shit at face value.

but as soon as the opening credits revealed that Vice had produced this movie, i more or less knew what to expect.

mostly, iā€™m glad i saw it, because iā€™ll never have to wonder again if i should go see another Gaspar NoĆ© film.

2 Likes

i kind of feel like the current gaspar noĆ© filmā€™s main purpose is always to convince people that they donā€™t need to see the next one

7 Likes

haha perhaps. i mean, i skipped Love (mostly bc i was afraid it would be triggering), and checked this one out because iā€™d heard positive things and wasnā€™t entirely in the camp of disliking his movies.

watched Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets last night and wow, what a weird movie. i feel like itā€™s kind of great, but itā€™s written like the most predictable and bland Saturday-morning cartoon. whichā€¦yeah, itā€™s kind of great? but so dumb? i feel like if i had kids, iā€™d show them this movie.

capped off the night with John Wick: Chapter 2 and love how those movies donā€™t get worse with repeated viewings.

1 Like

Yeah it is gorgeous and visually ambitious, with some genuinely stunning locations. Reminded me of all the things I loved about Fifth Element.

But the leads are the two most bland human behinds in history and the actual story is just, yeah, a saturday morning cartoon. The entire thing with the weird cannibalistic obese space tribe they slaughtered seemed like it was going for laughs maybe? And yet they shoved this character death and an action scene in there? Itā€™s like spending a 1/5th of your movie battling paper towel mascot characters.

1 Like

Meanwhilie, I was sort of sick of John Wick 2 halfway through the first time I watched it because it somehow managed to play out its own fight choreography. Idk. Iā€™m still gonna watch the third one when it comes out.