MUWT 2: The Quickening

get thee behind me :twisted:

I went to a screening of Tarkovskyā€™s Andrei Rublev, a 3.5 hour film about a 15th century icon painter and the history of Christianity in Russia. I adore Tarkovsky, but that subject matter is really not my wheelhouse, so it took me a while to get into the groove of it. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it a lot. There was a really interesting depiction of pagan rituals in the woods that basically went full Wicker Man for 15 minutes, so that was a definite highlight.

I was also totally captivated by an extended side story about a young adolescent whose famous bell-smithing father had just died of the plague. The prince wanted a huge new silver bell to be cast for his new cathedral, and this kid needed to escape his plague-stricken destroyed town, so he bluffed that his father had taught him ā€œthe secret of bell makingā€ and then spent months pretending to know what the fuck he was doing as he led an entire team, with the threat of flaying or beheading if the finished bell failed to ring. Very relatable hashtag millennial content. What can I say, Tarkovsky had range.

4 Likes

Currently thinking @shrug would probably love that movie, and also wondering if @shrug has ever forged a bell.

the bell section fucken owns yeah. also the frescoes reveal was like wow

I refuse to believe, with the untold amounts of man-hours and money dumped into Aquaman, that no one could think of a better title for ruler of the combined kingdoms of the sea than ā€œOcean Masterā€

the concept of Ocean Master being introduced with sinister bass music was also the best joke the movie had

what do you mean it wasnā€™t supposed to be funny

2 Likes

if you told me a year or even 6 months ago that the best big dumb studio film coming out in December was going to be Spider-verse I would have laughed and then also discussed my plans to get extremely drunk and see Alita: Battle Angel

Nobody could forsee that Bumblebee would be kinda unremarkable due to it being a decent flick, nor even guess that Peter Jacksons Howls Moving Cities would tank so quickly, soā€¦ yeah.
If you donā€™t like Madmoiselle Poppins, thereā€™s only ze Ozean M@ster (btw i cry when i watch DC Flixxx) for taking it to the Spider!

1 Like

Andrei Rublev is the one Tarkovsky Iā€™ve never caught! One of those always-meant-to-things.

I have never made a bell. I have a thai temple bell my mother bought hanging up under my forge roof though?

1 Like

I rewatched the first two Hangover movies.
The first one has more jokes.
I still like the second one better. I like the soundtrack and the setting.
This went over my head;

I didnā€™t know Allentown was a Billy Joel song

Itā€™s actually about Bethlehem though

a divided person is no way to be and I think it would be best if joel kinnaman and alexander skarsgard merge and become whole once again

2 Likes

holy goddamn Eighth Grade is such a fucking good movie that itā€™s shocking that itā€™s Bo Durnhamā€™s first feature, itā€™s so damn confidently directed and tightly made that it makes me angry

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been the forumā€™s biggest Bo Burnham stan from time immemorial, yā€™all sleep on this dude imo

ā€œirritatingly professional and goodā€ is the way i would describe every single bo burnham thing iā€™ve ever witnessed

I hate superheroes and superhero movies, but I went to see Into The Spider-verse yesterday and I actually liked it a whole lot. Miles Morales is a great protagonist, and I liked that they pulled the goofiest selection of alternate Spiders-man in for their multiverse premise. The animation is mindblowing.

I think ā€œInto the Spider-verseā€ taken out of context has a lot of potential as a title. Iā€™d like to see Michael Haneke or Paul Thomas Anderson run with it maybe.

3 Likes

I rewatched it and I still love it but

Oh my god I canā€™t believe Lord and Miller did the same fucking gag from The Lego Movie where the male and female leads are talking and the male lead is so enamored with the female lead that her lines cut out. What the absolute fuck

3 Likes

MUTINY ON THE SEX RAFT

2 Likes

tom cruise to mcquarrie: you donā€™t get to just walk away

3 Likes

Iā€™m on the verge of tears because neither has been confirmed as a Fast & Furious crossover

6 Likes

Iā€™m an adult man who cried like a child at the end of Paddington 2.