MUWT 2: The Quickening

i watched CAM with the gf last night after she said she’d seen it playing in a room but not really given it attention

some parts of it made me uncomfortable in really good ways and i loved how the movie was about sex and sex work but mostly stuck to like really i dunno

erotic? set design mishmashed with close uncomfortable dirty places and the movie went in a decidedly less supernatural direction than i initially thought it would

that was just after watching SPIDER-MAN: welcome to the spiderverse. i got all versed in different spiders and the movie is kind of beautiful in a dozen different ways in every scene

from the way the lighting is rendered to look like dot-matrix comic book printing to the subtle nod of mile’s costume being graffiti over the dead peter parkers to our 616 universe spidermans belly hanging out through the whole movie until he’s not a shitheel anymore to the fact that there’s a recurring joke about spiderman noir literally seeing the world in black and white

Spiderverse was great!!

It was weird to hear someone else get called Miles for 2 hours!

7 Likes

You’re only the second Miles I’ve ever met, it’s true. (A distant cousin, years ago, on a trip to a Great Uncle’s place in Maine)

1 Like

the only other miles I knew was in grade 7 and his mom decided to move to switzerland after 9/11

2 Likes

miles away then, huh?

i regret nothing, i had to make that bad pun, and would do it again.

2 Likes

The worst part about being named Miles is that the jokes about my name are very, very tired

(what I’m saying is: being named Miles is awesome)

1 Like

If you ever pass a kidney stone please keep it, and look back upon that milestone forever

13 Likes

ffffffffffffffffffffff

1 Like

!!

The first good Miles joke I’ve ever heard!!

5 Likes

man i saw it with a friend while the election was happening and i think that was a mistake because we were like “great movie!” looks at phone instantly becomes sad and depressed

2 Likes

anyways the handmaiden is one of the greatest films of all time because it has a lesbian sex scene where the girls do this while scissoring or something

gif

7 Likes

The Handmaiden owns

2 Likes

I spaced out the first time I was watching it (I know, I know) and snapped back to reality during this sex scene and it seemed really funny to me as a result

1 Like

i just want to say i agree with every word of this post and i want to be best moviebuds with you

1 Like

I have watched the axe construction scene in Mandy and only the axe construction scene in Mandy (I am trying to stay away from movies with certain theming of late for reasons)

We open with a kiln, on it a running gas burner.

We then cut to an already-glowing crucible in tongs which Cage sets on a solid fuel fire as if the solid fuel fire is the thing that’s going to melt what is within the glowing crucible, even though the crucible is already glowing with immense heat and also we just had a shot of a gas kiln seemingly to establish The Meltening.

He then pours a silver metal into a large, open, rough sand mold. This is definitely not steel. I would wager aluminum?

He quenches the weird misshapen aluminum lump that results. The water goes hissss.

We are then treated to a nonsensical shot of a (presumably gas) burner flame being applied to this weird lumpen thing in the open air, before cutting to it being removed from a solid fuel forge fire and placed on an anvil face that clearly has not actually been used in a very long time, and which not even the most desperate of motherfuckers would use without dressing those edges!

Brief forging, just to have forging. Close-up shot reveals a probable cold-shut?!

Brief angle-grinder.

…and it’s done!

So yeah I don’t know how he uses it in the movie. I guess it would make for v. fancy and awkward club. It wouldn’t cut! Or if he managed to put an edge on it, it would blunt the second it encountered anything hard, because it’s made out of aluminum at best. He would have been better off sharpening a car spring.

Saved a lot of work and fuel too.

This has been my evaluation of the axe construction in MANDY (2018)

10 Likes

i did it.
i watched gotti.
it’s like the asylum made goodfellas. it’s the result of forcing a bot to watch 1000 hours of mob movies. it’s what nYC guido voice would direct.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Just came here to post that, looks legit

Aquaman was… Okay

Parts of it were pretty, glad to see some more color in the DC universe

Pacing wasn’t great, and I couldn’t begin to care about uh, any of the characters

Some cool creatures showed up, especially at the end

I feel like the movie had trouble because it was an awkward cross between golden age off the wall stuff and modern superhero movie expectations. Like, you have all this serious going to war treacherous unforgiving Atlantean intensity so that some guy can become… OCEAN MASTER

I seen that Spider-Man and I loved it and it’s my favorite movie of the year, but ugh, it’s kind of disappointing that Gwen has to be the stock female character for kid’s movies with a male lead. Cool, composed, together, mentor-y, occasional goofiness. They showed a trailer for the new How to Train Your Dragon and god you could swap her with Astrid and no one would tell the difference.