MUWT 2: The Quickening

The Favourite is real good, and uses dissolves in the most interesting way I’ve seen since the last episode of Twin Peaks: The Return.

yeah I can be hot and cold on Yorgos but really enjoyed this

Watch all the Refn, if you haven’t. Valhalla Rising is a God Damned Masterpiece

2 Likes

Dakota, if you’re on an '80s fantasy kick, have you seen LEGEND? It’s the most mood of them all and Ridley Scott summons all his powers of fog and lighting to misinterpret mythic archetypes as best he can

pair it with Michael Mann’s The Keep for laser castle demons killing nazis, or maybe the half-seen world and Death Stranding prequel:

3 Likes

it turns out what panos cosmatos movies need to be good is to be 20 minutes long instead of 2 years long

5 Likes

extremely thrilled that alfonso cuaron is back

for one i generally consider him to be a competent artisan so i feel compelled to check out roma but like,

lubezki is not doing the photography which is what usually makes his films specially nice and the whole thematic of “rich family’s relationship with their poor, poor maid” is so bad 99% of the time

I know and yet!!!

Interesting how Netflix is giving Roma a wide theatrical release. I believe this is the first time they’ve really gone all-in on theatrical screenings. Okja got a tiny run of like 3 screenings, one of which I was lucky enough to catch in Boston. I suppose that must have been a proof of concept and this is the result.

Netflix has been publishing surprisingly good work lately, and I’m glad to see them embrace the theatrical run. They already killed movie rental stores; the last thing I want is for them to kill the theater too.

3 Likes

Beasts of No Nation had a pretty wide release, I think.

They want that OSCAR

3 Likes

You don’t need a wide release for the academy though, it has to play like, 3 or 4 theaters for a week or so

Netflix not ever releasing stuff in theaters aside from awards bait is in stark contrast to Amazon, who give their productions proper releases in conjunction with real distributors, even with 3-6 months before a home video release and longer still before they turn up on Prime Video

(also Netflix hasn’t put money into something that I’ve liked as much as Patterson so Amazon has that too)

1 Like

I’ve heard that Amazon will be shifting away from prestige releases, though. They’ve been quite good in the past few years

that’s not a huge loss, Amazon doesn’t have much movie output to begin with and their releases indicate they’re pretty picky about what they will produce and they usually pick right

also they’re not buying up discarded studio garbage or constantly aiming at, uh, more accepting demographics

I don’t know that I’ve watched a single thing on prime video for more than one episode that wasn’t British and I am not the world’s biggest British TV fan

I’m not aware of anything they’ve produced that’s anywhere near as good as whatever amount they pay into fleabag, catastrophe, etc

come to think about it they may only have distribution rights to those in Canada? I know Netflix distributes like, everything outside of North America

The optics of playing in 3 or 4 theaters for a week vs. a “real” theatrical release aren’t nothing.

I’m thinking movies:

That’s an Annapurna/A24-like record these past few years. A lot of these are ‘co-distributed’, so I don’t know what portion of monies they were putting up, but this is good stuff

I can attest that the co-distro stuff indicates who has all the non-streaming rights (when we did a preview screening of The Big Sick, it was Lionsgate engineers we dealt with in terms of okaying the picture and sound, whereas Beautiful Boy had someone hired independently by Amazon)