MUWT 2: The Quickening

Very much so.

1 Like

Being There is good

2 Likes

an eye twitch of obsessive study? Surely I can master this cadence. I must practice talking and talking, much like the figure in this video, who managed to convey so little with so many words, a level of unnecessary verbiage the likes of which even the true hero of no rangers allowed, Gorm, an elf directly inspired by Henry Jamesā€™s most exasperating quality (that quality being his tendency to ramble without point or direction for far too long, such that oneā€™s original thought was lost and replaced entirely byā€¦

7 Likes

I keep wanting to say weā€™re living in Being There but itā€™s honestly just A Face in the Crowd

3 Likes

The Face of Another

between suspiria buster scruggs and widows i have concluded that im beyond tired of 2+ hr prestige-y films

theyre all fine tho, i guess

5 Likes

itā€™s not your fault or the filmmakersā€™

itā€™s just science that the perfect running time is 90 minutes

6 Likes

My documentary is 69 minutes long, which turned out to be pretty optimal.

Iā€™m not even joking, it just kind of happened that way.

6 Likes

why havenā€™t i watched blood on satanā€™s claw until now

1 Like

R.I.P. Nic Roeg

6 Likes

instead of king arthur why didnā€™t they just have guy ritchie do the antifa super soldier robin hood movie

a star is born is so fucked up. i love miserable shit

1 Like

I recently watched this for the first time and was surprised to find partway in that I was enjoying it more than anything Iā€™d seen in a while. I appreciated the way it defied expectation by merely implying nearly all of the violence.

The wild final sequence sealed it for me despite seeming out of place. Apparently, Blatty had planned a much more understated ending but was prevailed upon to film the version we see. His preferred version would probably have been more appropriate, but Iā€™m glad it has the ending it does.

Huh, I had no idea Exorcist 3 was good. Should I watch 2 first?

I skipped the second one. Iā€™ve heard itā€™s quite bad, like nearly all horror sequels. Part 3 is based on the book Legion, which Blatty wrote after The Exorcist. I donā€™t know what happens in the second film, but itā€™s unnecessary to the story.

1 Like

Watch The Ninth Configuration first instead of Exorcist 2

Embarrassingly I didnā€™t realize Wormwood was a real case until 3 episodes in. I thought it was just loosely based on something real. I assumed the interviewees were actors like the dramatized parts. Guess that explains why the ā€œactingā€ in the interviews was so good. ā€œIā€™ve never seen this guy before; hell of a character actor.ā€

Iā€™m way more into this knowing the interviews are with actual people. Eric is super eloquent (again, I thought they were written lines) and a son consumed by his fatherā€™s mysterious death is super compelling.

recommend u track down The Emperor and The Assassin for a movie that feels like a perfect response to Hero even though it was made 4 years earlier

2 Likes

I saw Akira Kurosawaā€™s medical drama Red Beard in a theater today and it owned. Red Beard himself, played by ToshirĆ“ Mifune, is one of my new favorite characters in cinema. Heā€™s a gruff but charismatic, extremely class-conscious, super-talented doctor who maintains a free clinic for the poor, correctly identifies poverty as a major cause of physical and mental illness, occasionally uses rich patients as sources of funding but in the process totally fucks with and humiliates them, and if threatened is willing to judo fight his aggressors and then treat them for the injuries he inflicts. And he looks just like @shrugā€™s friend Tony.

Overall the movie has a very refreshing empathy to it, and it depicts issues of pain, death, and especially trauma extremely well. It has an inexplicably long backstory sequence for a total side character that kind of drags, but this IS Kurosawa weā€™re talking about, and that bit is mostly justified by the way it changes the main characterā€™s point of view on the dignity of his peasant patients.

I kind of wish Kurosawa had made a sequel where Red Beard went on to become a full on Che Guevara figure, cuz I saw some interesting parallels between the two.

7 Likes

The Old Dark House (1932)

The setup is great. Three people traveling by car in a storm are cut-off by a landslide and have to take shelter in the old dark house.

When the second set of unlucky house-guests shows up their boisterousness sets them apart. This is genius because it makes it so the audience can easily identify the three groups of people instead of having just two; The guests donā€™t immediately merge into one group like they would otherwise.

The horror is subdued compared with modern efforts. The scenario feels like it could really happen, but the stakes feel lower because of this.

Overall, a pretty solid old horror flick.

3 Likes