MUWT 2: The Quickening

Can any Prime members recommend some of the trashier stuff you find on there? It’s a treasure trove of b-grade horror schlock but I don’t know where to start.

There’s a few Lucio Fulci films.

Also, not exactly b-grade (or horror), but Boorman’s Excalibur is top-shelf trashy.

1 Like

Q: Winged Serpent is up there right now.

They’ve got a ton of '60s-'70s Japanese films like Outlaw Gangster and Female Prisoner Scorpion on usually.

2 Likes

Q is my favorite Larry Cohen film. Definitely check it out

1 Like

I’ve never heard of Hellbent but I checked it out because of the box art and it’s fantastic; it’s an '80s rock parable/deal with the devil film.

I always dig through the ‘Customers Also Watched’ list when I find stuff like this, it works much better than the recommendation engine (removing it is one of the main ways Netflix’s UI has gotten catastrophically worse in the past few years).

1 Like

I found Squirm entertaining. One of my co-workers had recommended it to me a few years ago, saying that it had scared him as a kid. I finally got around to seeing it just this week upon discovering that it was included with Prime.

1 Like

best part of squirm is how after a while the main character stops entering buildings through doors for seemingly no reason.

3 Likes

that, and the worms coming out of faucets and showerheads

1 Like

not horror but Lovely But Deadly

buster scruggs is here!!!

1 Like

raises glass

I went to see Steve McQueen’s new heist thriller Widows last night. It’s pretty great! It weirdly reminded me a lot of the best parts of The Wire, the way it strongly grounds the story in its Chicago setting and sets up a churning machine of politics and crime that gradually infringes on the central plot.

And the ensemble cast is fantastic! Check out Paperboi from Atlanta playing a seriously menacing villain.

girl interrupted is so good… it’s silent hill 2 core

1 Like

It’s fine.

Too much talking, no doubt

I mean, sometimes.

It’s pretty handsome and restrained but sometimes a scene goes on a beat too long or reveals what would have been better left implied and some dialogue is just GET IT right on the point. It sprawls in the way HEAT sprawls, but with race/Chicago politics kind of overwhelming the character aspects. Those parts are also grounded in character, but they weren’t the characters I care about? Viola Davis kind of gets marginalized in her own movie.

There are a few explicit visual nods to HEAT. About halfway through the movie a character happens and I was all “why is this character happening” and then I thought “they’re going to do the driver in HEAT” and then she becomes the replacement driver, bam, she is the driver in HEAT, structurally. McQueen likes HEAT. Maybe Gillian Flynn likes HEAT. This movie has all the flabbiness of HEAT but never hits the highs of HEAT.

It’s still good? It could have been tighter. Typical Respectable Director Makes a Genre Movie and has to make sure everyone sees they’re still making a Real Respectable Movie. The key points are filmed and cut with real tension and wisdom and then there’s all these people yacking in the margins of images that should speak for themselves or else the images sit there like a dead whale on a beach like LOOK AT MY SERIOUS MOVIE THAT ALSO HAS A HEIST.

Davis is excellent. Amazing deployment of Lukas Haas (but cut half his yacking please). Seeing ancient Liam Neeson kiss anyone at length is already unnerving enough at base there’s no need to do that bit before the cut. Michelle Rodriguez gets to-for the first time in her life-not play the Michelle Rodriguez! Elizabeth Debicki is really good at “surprise! maybe she is the michelle rodriguez, but very tall!” even if they have her say too much with her words to Lukas Haas? What a cast! Gosh, this fucking movie.

2 Likes

come to think of it all michelle rodriguez does in the movie is “here is the driver from HEAT” and “turns out I’m not the michelle rodriguez, huh”

it’s like this was adapted from a much longer miniseries or something

1 Like

the space/frame is more cluttered, but mcqueen gets it in there

2 Likes

actual no-joke best movie of the 90’s

2 Likes

Fallen Angels is probably the movie I’m happiest to watch again and again…there’s nothing else I’d rather do when I’m sick than dive into the '90s Hong Kong nightlife where the jukeboxes all play Laurie Anderson and the shops are run by break-ins

what I’m saying is you’ve got excellent taste Dakota

1 Like