MUWT 2: The Quickening

watch some powell and pressburger rud13

1 Like

Watched Shutter again for the first time in a long time. Not as creepy as I remember, but still remains one of my favorite ā€œspooky girlā€ ghost movies (I love how she looks), despite a few upsetting parts.

1 Like

john badhamā€™s bram stokerā€™s dracula is pretty boring, but frank langella is definitely a top 4 sexiest dracula and donald pleasence is eating in all of his scenes.

Topaz is a perfectly fine boring spy movie. Guns are perfectly useless at anything but point blank range. These old films and their cartoonish pizza sauce blood.

At the beginning of the film it shows shots of Virginia and DC. And man in 2018 shots of the white house really make my stomach turn.

I love rear projection and if I had the means you better believe Iā€™d be making a film thatā€™s 50% people pretending to drive in front of movie screens.

11 Likes

are you telling me you directed Detour

2 Likes

Iā€™m free Iā€™m done with the set. Psycho ruled. It was stylish and even if the shower scene and twist was known since I was like 5, the other scenes I had never heard of were so cool and weird.

That shower scene is uhhh certainly not the best moment in cinema Iā€™ve ever seen. Everything up to the killing is great then the killing looks about as bad as two kids re-enacting it in a classroom with the lights on.

Then they linger on her blinking twitching not dead corpse for a real long time. I did really like the super long drawn cleanup.

That freaking psycharitrist at the end is so crazy! What hell is that monologue. I was cackling with laughter at a man explaining the film in full straight to camera

Iā€™ m not entirely sure where in the ideal scenario you are supposed to figure out what is going on.

There is an episode of Alfred Hitchcock presents that well the intro and introduction are real damn charming and deserve the thousands of parodies that exist. The story/episode was far too emotionally real for me to deal with ever. So I guess great job.

Maybe I will now go back to what I like a 60s Yakuza movie made in 4 weeks that hopefully has one scene that is real weird.

2 Likes

I love that mid-20th-century-thriller trope of ending the movie with a psychiatrist on a comfy leather chair explaining the charactersā€™ Freudian neuroses to the viewers. One of Dario Argentoā€™s early films does it too, but I forget which one. Makes me cackle every time, especially now that we can see Freudian psychoanalysis with clear eyes and know what bunk it always was.

4 Likes

Is it The Bird With The Crystal Plumage?

Also rud13 please see my earlier post thanks

1 Like

Yeah, I think thatā€™s the one. For a moment I was thinking it might have been Four Flies on Grey Velvet, but then I remembered that movie has a QUITE memorable ending of its own.

Bird with the Crystal Plumage also has the detour to the rural painter who politely offers his guest some cat stew! My goodness!

3 Likes

Buddy, if you like that scene you can see that rural painter give the sweatiest performance of all time in The Italian Connection.

2 Likes

I saw First Reformed yesterday. Pretty good movie, very thought provoking. Itā€™s written and directed by the guy who wrote Taxi Driver. I was surprised by the extent to which itā€™s clearly a direct spiritual sequel to that film.

SPOILERS FOR BOTH FILMS BELOW:

Both films are in-depth character studies that follow a lonely white manā€™s radicalization and planning of violent political acts. Both men drive around their cities and see scenes of decadence out their car windows. Both men get geared up with their weapons of choice and stare at themselves in the mirror. Both men have their trajectories altered by a vulnerable younger woman. Both films have ambiguous endings that are probably hallucinations at the moment of death.

Itā€™s interesting the extent to which these films are in conversation with one another, and I think I would have to see First Reformed a second time to really tease out the meaning of it. Though the characters have so many parallels, there are huge differences in their outlook and goals.

Travis Bickle is an empty man, a nihilistic fascistic loser without a guiding philosophy. The assassination he plans is not based on any real political aim, itā€™s simply guided by a deep resentment.

Reverend Toller may be lonely, but he has a far better sense of himself in the world. He is guided not by resentment, but by his quite intellectualized and empathetic interpretation of Christianity. The violence he plans is based on a real and overwhelming threat to the world, and he hopes that it will help to save us all.

Despite Tollerā€™s cause being far more just, I got the sense that the film did not want him to succeed in his bombing. I think itā€™s meant to be a happy, redemptive ending for him that he went out with a suicide rather than a murder. Iā€™m going to be honestā€¦ I wanted him to succeed. I wanted that catharsis. I think the film took a very liberal view that political violence is always wrong, no matter the circumstances. I donā€™t really agree with that, so I was a bit frustrated.

6 Likes

I didnā€™t see it as ever saying violence was wrong, but that the side that actually gives a shit is the side thatā€™s also never going to be able to follow through on their violence oh well at least weā€™ll get a moment of humanity or transcendent whatever before being wiped out etc, which I want to not agree with and find frustrating too

2 Likes

ok now compare/contrast with MISHIMA thanx

1 Like

A rewatch of Exorcist 3 confirms that it might just be one of the most brilliant/bonkers horror films ever. There is a palpable sense of unreality to the whole thing, and then you get a dream sequence that features a pre-stardom Samuel Jackson, Larry King, C.Everett Koop (according to the credits), NBA great Patrick Ewing and Fabio. None of whom get a single line of dialog .

And then thereā€™s That Scene (youā€™ll know it when you see it). A tense, masterful example of pure cinema, made even more impressive by the fact that Blatty was a first-time director.

4 Likes

Nigel Kneale is dope

1 Like

aw man filmstruck shutting down

Dang, I used Filmstruck too! It had by far the best selection of the smaller streaming services, even if their UI left something to be desired.

so does this mean the ps4 app will definitely never happen or

:drum:

3 Likes