MUWT 2: The Quickening

I want to see this article so I can go to the comment section and tell the how blind they are and also maybe they are dumb and should pay more attention and have we talked about Jake Busey yet

This movie is so fucking good

predator is just this idiot stretched to 90+ minutes.

i used to think predator 2 was okay, not on the level of perfection with the first, but still enjoyable enough. after witnessing this garbage, predator 2 is frickinā€™ amazing.

I personally thought The Predatorā€™s biggest crime was refusing to deliver on the MacGuffin and slyly teasing it for the basis of a future -and unasked for- sequel (see last five minutes).

ā€˜Touretteā€™s Syndrome getting the biggest (and only) laughs for 2 hours in the entire theatreā€™ is my other takeaway.

1 Like

after thinking about it, two things stick out as pissing me off

1. if predator traitor guy is there to drop off the MacGuffin, why the hell is it intent on murdering everyone itā€™s trying to save in the process

2. okay, they give the date of when Predator 2 happens as 1997 but when super soldier biologist Olivia Munn is looking at pictures on the tablet, it clearly has the release date for Predator 2 listed as when the photo was taken and I hope someone gets fired for this blunder

3 Likes

I havenā€™t seen the movie, but maybe heā€™s one of those conservationist hunter types who wants to preserve the species so that he can still get to kill some of them for sport

oh boy

so Shane Black decides to tie together all of the Predator lore by making it so that we (humanity) are going to die out soon because global warming and that also because they dig hot places, theyā€™re gonna swoop in and take our planet and kill us off in the process. also they rip out spines to harvest DNA from spinal fluid in order to make more perfect predator dudes. the script commits one of those cardinal sins in trying to explain shit that didnā€™t need explaining and fucking everything up in the process

1 Like

Oh and I saw Slenderman at the drive in a week or so back because all my friends had already seen Black Klansman.

It was so wack. Thereā€™s this amazing part where these two high schoolers are making out then the dude starts doing the Jacobā€™s Ladder head wiggle, but it just looks like heā€™s goofing off.

3 Likes

Saw a midnight screening of Mandy tonight. It was full of idiots who came to laugh at Nicholas Cage, and were going to follow through on that plan no matter what the movie was actually like. Lots of giggles every time he came on screen. There were a few scenes that deserved it, but people were even laughing at some of the more disturbing moments just because they saw a glimpse of that Comedy Face they came for. The filmā€™s tone really goes back and forth wildly between real dark tragedy and goofy b-movie histrionics, so having the addition of rowdy audience members laughing at the dark parts made the whole thing feel very off-kilter.

The movie was pretty decent. I certainly liked it a lot better than Beyond the Black Rainbow. I preferred the creepy abstract first half to the revenge action second half by a great deal. The film had one of the more convincing depictions of the psychedelic experience Iā€™ve seen in a movie. The shot with the cult leader and Mandyā€™s faces slowly blurring into each other was incredible. Iā€™ve never seen a shot like that pulled off so well. The moment when the cult leader first sees Mandy and the reality of the movie seems to rupture into red blurry echoes was another major highlight.

I loved that the magic ocarina really did summon weird hellraiser guys, and there actually was ridiculous D&D/heavy metal occult shit going on, and I liked that the film never bothered to explain any of it.

Ultimately the film does still have some of the same pacing problems as Beyond the Black Rainbow, and by the end I was nodding off hard. But Iā€™m glad I saw it, especially in a theater.

Oh yeah, and easily the best use of King Crimson Iā€™ve ever seen in a movie. Take THAT, Children of Men!

4 Likes

Oh, and it has to be said, THANK GOD for any movie thatā€™s actually willing to experiment with its color palette. I loved the vivid use of color, including color compositions that you basically never see in cinema, especially modern cinema.

3 Likes

the more i think about mandy the more i like it and the more i become convinced that the cheddar goblin is one of the greatest act breaks ever.

1 Like

Muppets Most Wanted was way funnier than The Muppets. I was pretty worried because the first two songs were bad. But they had a lot of real jokes and not just ā€œwe are repeating what we did before.ā€ The celebrity cameos were overwhelming. The only one Lady Rude noticed was Celine Dion.

Watching the bloopers The Worlds Only Athiest was clearly onā€¦something because the 9minute blooper was him laughing at nothing. And then one bloop got more laughs from both of is then the rest of the film. So throw it in the garbage now we can just watch Christmas Carol and Treasure Island and have a terrific time!

1 Like

Rudie has opinions.

Like Vertigo was really boring. There was I guess two good parts. The 30 seconds of psicadelica and the second girlā€™s twist. But before that is 40 minutes of James Stewart driving around and after that is 40 minutes of the same conversation and Hitchcock being a monster.

This boxset has Marnie I started it read the plot summary and stopped it.

I am beginning to think this whole enterprise is a bust. Then I pulled up some video essay about hitchcock. Well first some real bad essay about how he blocks a scene in a real film student explains way. It was miserable. Then I pulled up one on the art of hitchcock that I found because there was an article about ā€œwhat makes a film hitchcockianā€ which was watching this video then stealling all the ideas expressed in it.

Point is I started this video. And it had clips from Psycho which is next. And I went Woah This Actually Looks Great.

So I guess I am excited to watch Psycho now.

3 Likes

Psycho is his best imo.

Consider rewarding yourself for watching Vertigo by watching Guy Maddinā€™s recent film The Green Fog, which is a pretty hilarious recreation of Vertigo using found footage from news broadcasts, old b-movies, educational films, etc. Lots of clever visual gags.

Hereā€™s his take on the part where the main character goes catatonic:

Also, I enjoyed Guy Maddinā€™s thoughts on the film in this short interview:

ā€œThe first time I saw Vertigo, I fell asleep. I thought it was overrated.ā€

3 Likes

vertigo is good sorry

3 Likes

vertigo is great not sorry even a bit

2 Likes

Vertigo is great and itā€™s even better when you got no sleep because you waited too long to write a paper and go to your class screening and pass out and when you come to the first thing you see is Jimmy Stewartā€™s disembodied head flying through his descent into madness

7 Likes

seeing chris marker talk about vertigo on sans soleil made it even better for me

5 Likes

Chris Marker makes everything better. You just reminded me that I need to watch some of his films I downloaded.

1 Like

I mean that sounds great.

Does the rest of the film want to describe why itā€™s good?