MON HUNTERS thread

they’ve famously been compared to characters in fighting games, and no you can switch freely (not, like, in the middle of a fight)

it’s so wild to be playing monster hunter with Lots Of Graphics after fuckin 8 years on 3ds or whatever

1 Like

Yeah, characters in fighting games is probably the best analogy. Each one has a set of skills that a player using that weapon will want to get down, and a lot of those are unique to the weapon. The only limiting factor used to be that gun users had separate armor from melee people, but that is gone entirely now, so you really can pick whatever.

Once you find one you are comfy with, then you will develop stronger versions of that, but at any time, you could just pick a different weapon class to use, though you will have to build it up anew to be as strong as the one you built up. This usually isn’t too difficult though with the crafting working the way it does.

I really want to play this but I can’t afford $60 + PS Plus + I spent most of the last month in bed and I know if I started playing this and it’s remotely good I’ll never stop and my life will be over.

Is there confirmation that the PC version isn’t until Fall? I was worried I wouldn’t be able to run it but maybe I’ll be a millionaire by then and the cryptocurrency will bust and I’ll be able to afford a computer that can run it.

Also how’s the hammer. Is the hammer still good and heavy.

Yeah, the PC version is confirmed for Fall, though they haven’t put a date on it, so that could slide.

I am not a hammer bro, but i imagine it is still hammery as hell, yes.

The insect glaive was a lot of hoppy mounting fun but I think I liked the light bowgun best in terms of damage variety and utility and giving you claymores. I only tried… 1/3 of the weapons though.

1. do cross-species interactions involve anything other than hostile encounters or teaming up against the player? Like, are there any equivalents of those teeth-cleaning birds, or animals who trick other animals into doing things for them?

2. do any of the NPCs ever stop and say “hey, when you think about it, all this Pokemon battling Monster Hunting is kind of fucked up”?

these questions apply generally to the series, but I believe both cross-species interaction and story mode were significally expanded for World?

I can already tell insect glaive is going to make me jealous of the raw damage output of heavier weapon folks and I’ll be like “why did I do this to myself again” but I can’t really resist

I think I posted about something else I kind of liked earlier itt…

1 Like

You will do it because riding monsters is so much fun, and a ridden monster is a really easy target for the big damage types, and the eventual knockdown feels so good.

1 Like

there it is, in the other thread

Yeah I’m gonna do it, that was after trying them all in the beta

Anyhoo let’s all be PSN friends, I’m selfignition

also I have a silver pompadour

1 Like

I really shouldn’t have purchased this given how I’m over budget for the month but heh

now taking bets for how long I will take in the character editor

i’m just gonna stick with a big honkin greatsword ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

I’m low key offended how indepth this character creator is. I tend to hate them in principle. I just want to get to the game. Not pretend to be a character designer. What I hate more is how some creator features are locked out after the initial creation. Saint’s Row gets a pass for letting you change anything you want later. I enjoyed the snappiness of the creator of the last few games. It was like click click click done. I had my action figure and was ready to play. Now the fidelity is way to high. What was a $15 action figure is now an $80 dollar statue with joints. I just can’t put no effort into but certainly not as much as other people will.

The game starts a bit more cinematic than I would like but was short enough to not be to big a barrier to get to the core. It’s kinda neat how they are doing story events between quests but being a veteran I’m ready to get to core game loop and they kinda act like small speed bumps to that. Also, I suggest going with a language you can understand orally. I find the subtitles and text boxes on the side tend to blend in with everything and hard to keep track of and they like to tell you a lot. I was trying to go with Monster Hunter language but they put so much work in to tell you things verbally it’s almost to much work to read everything as it comes at you.

Anyways, did the first two quests and killed a jagras before going to bed. Can’t wait to spend more quality time with it.

2 Likes

definitely yes

please always give me the most indepth character creator, so i can spend like an hour tweaking my character’s facial features just so and then put on a helmet in the first ten minutes of play

5 Likes

straight up, i took like an hour deciding if i wanted to be a grizzled old man, or a neon punk girl. the latter 100% won.

2 Likes

y’all, the metallic make-up effects in this game are amazing.

Can’t vouch for 1 but that’s what I’m excited to see. They’ve never really interacted before, but the series has always given a lot of monsters “ecology” videos, and I’m hoping to see more of that represented in-game.

wrt 2, it’s been pretty established from the beginning that all monster hunts are regulated and for the purpose of wildlife conservation. lots of urgent quests that are like “yo this huge monster wandered in and is gonna fuck up the whole ecosystem can you take it out”. most worldbuilding is out of the way, but I’m hoping it’ll get brought up in the story mode. I remember reading that one of the art books explains the series is actually post-post-apoc after humans hunted monsters so thoroughly that nature reacted and destroyed all human civilization? I’m like a big big fan of the positivity in monster hunter canon.

1 Like

the unskippable cutscenes in this game almost nullify every other systems improvement

1 Like

ok i started an sbutt squad

i guess you can set up a room tied to your squad and then anyone in the squad can join freely and it can hold up to 16 people, all doing different quests in whatever groups. you can also like join a clan room right from the start menu when you fire up. basically i want there to just be a sbutt room up all the time and i want to get on and go to the quest board and see what everyone is hunting every minute of every day

i got a couple invites out this afternoon. when i get back on later tonight i will be belligerently inviting anyone i see playing monster hunter (note that you have to join up before i can send you a squad invite). also if you’re not psn friends with me i’m t8128 - please friend me out

ok

6 Likes