melee island (fighting game club)

6 Likes

EVO lineup announcement stream tonight at 5pm PST at https://www.twitch.tv/evo. There are so many games out right now that the lineup mostly a foregone conclusion (except for a stealth Elden Ring pick), so I’m honestly more interested in just getting a feel of Evo’s personality under the new management.

1 Like

40 guests? Is this going to be like a 3 hour stream?

Maybe they’ll be in the background as a hype group while eating Arby’s.

IGN leaked the list early

some surprises, but I would’ve loved to see VF5 US

Yeah that looks about right.

Should have put Melee back in

1 Like

BBCF would’ve gotten more players than granblue or melty

what the fuck is this shit? three ASW games and Skullgirls and no Virtua Fighter?

and yeah this

Is Melty Blood the only surprise?

GBFVS is undead.

I’m not sure I agree with Melty being a surprise at all, even though there are games that are currently more popular.

I guess it’s like least most unsurprising

From least surprising announcements to most surprising. Jojo All Star Battle is getting a new version, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle R. Looks like they’ve added a tag system or an assist system. Probably pulling from their work on Eyes of Heaven. Jojo ASB had some interesting ideas and was more solid than one would expect, but it was all hampered by it’s incredibly slow movement speed. If they just fix that I think the game would feel miles better.

5 Likes

I expect this to be 60fps with those assets too, yeah? The PS3 original was 30 which was weird.

1 Like

agreed, if they don’t fix the walkspeed and do something about everything being about fishing for lp and weird aerial non-collisions i can’t see this being any better
hobbyists have been working on a tweaked version of asb that opens up more combowang but they didn’t fix the walkspeed either, it’s infuriating

2 Likes

From the press release

It sounds like they might be doubling down on making you have to jump to get anywhere. Didn’t one character have an air dash already? I don’t know if that’s the direction the game needed, but I guess at least they’re commiting to An Idea of having to jump to do anything, which is, uh interesting?

3 Likes

very curious whether this will redeem it, it was always kind of hard to tell if the admittedly very poor “tempo” was its only problem

1 Like

Oh oops, I never looked at this thread bc I thought it was specifically for Smash oooooops

Anyway, this is neat:

But like, the better solution would be to sketch out poses beforehand so the poses are clearer and you’re not wasting your model’s time? :thinking:

4 Likes

Tekken skins and UI for VF5:

2 Likes

What a weird decision. They should do something useful like put the game on pc with real netcode instead

2 Likes