melee island (fighting game club)

1 Like

Free GBVS for all of y’all delay-based netcode fans :cry:

(I’ll probably play it anyway)

1 Like

GBVS is pretty fun single-player. : ) But if you like it it WILL make you want to buy a horde of DLC.

I will gladly give cygames money for non-gacha things

nah, it’s okay

just some casual gambling

c’mon, live a little

(note: I do not actually endorse gambling or gacha)

1 Like

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters

NES, Genesis, SNES versions, in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection on PS4

These are not very good fighting games. But they were early in fighting game history–late '93, and early '94 for the NES one–and probably the only thing that would have felt better at the time would have been Street Fighter II…maybe the first Samurai Shodown as well (I’m thinking of the arcade versions, because I haven’t really played the old home ports much, and also I’m quite possibly mostly confusing SamShoI with SamShoII). And for Turtles fans, maybe especially vs other humans–which I have not done–they could’ve been a hoot.

The AI is bad in all of them: sometimes it will go on a seemingly unstoppable killing spree; other times you can hit it with the same move until it dies. The final boss in the SNES version was brain dead, the difficulty and weird fighter strength settings in the Genesis version (I got “bad” endings in the Genesis and SNES versions for playing them on the easiest difficulty : p) seemed to make no difference, and I kept one AI twitching in the corner for almost a full round–until I intentionally “let it out” by backing away–in the NES version–although that one I could actually play on the default difficulty, albeit with save scumming…because these games just didn’t feel good enough to try to play for real, and because they had limited continues, ugh.

Backgrounds in all three are decent, and some in the Genesis version are even rather cool. Character sprites aren’t bad–I really like the NES sprites–but the animation in the Genesis version is terrible.

Throws in all versions do too much damage–although I suppose even SFII had that–and are worst in the Genesis version, where the AI seemed able to counter-throw ANY move on block, or after its own moves; heck, in that version, the AI could do any of its other moves while its own fireballs were only partway across the screen!

In general the fighting doesn’t feel good. Pushback is wildly inconsistent–although in the NES version, basic footsies and blocking actually feels kind of good. In fact, once in a while something that seemed almost like a cool fighting game thing happened in the NES version, like when I would make a last second comeback on one pixel of health with a super move–and the shtick there of picking up a bouncing ball to do a super move, only your opponent can knock you down and take the ball for themselves, is SORT of interesting.

Playing on an arcade stick, it doesn’t help that you can’t remap R1 and L1; this was particularly annoying for me in the SNES version, with four, KOF-style buttons, where I would normally have HK on R1 (my stick buttons are re-wired for a Brook NEOGEO adapter), but here had the buttons together in the center of the stick–and you’re still at risk of accidentally triggering the R1 Pause menu, DQ-able in a real tournament.

Static SFX in the Genesis version appears to be a shortcoming of the emulation: it wasn’t a problem in the other Genesis game in this collection, Hyperstone Heist, and is better in this non-Cowabunga-Collection of Genesis Tournament Fighters by Loading Geek Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (Genesis 1993) April O'Neil [Playthrough/LongPlay] - YouTube , and much better in this one by NintendoComplete Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters (Genesis) Playthrough - YouTube .

Hit another input bug that I reported to @DigitalEclipse:

PS4 Tournament Fighters (Genesis): If you map Taunt (C) to Circle, then load a save state saved in neutral during a match, when you hit Circle to back out of the R1 Pause menu, your character in the state you just loaded will be taunting.

In the Genesis version, I missed that when your health is low, Taunt will do a super move! Wasn’t in the Strategy Guide. Move lists period would’ve been nice–only the SNES version has them.

Maybe coming out later than the others helped the NES version; it ended up being my favorite. None of them feel like games I’ll want to come back to for gameplay.

4 Likes

Everyone I knew who played TF has switched over to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles X Justice League Turbo By NewsTeam6 for I.K.E.M.E.N. Go

5 Likes

Hm. Why stop there, though?

They made April into Blaze + google glass?

1 Like

http://mcjimmy.net/famicomfighters.html

4 Likes
2 Likes

spinning bird kick to helicopter myself to new areas like a street fighter castleroid

7 Likes

copy and pasting my own tweet:

street fighter one-upping soul calibur’s oc generator by also letting you take part in “canon character’s prize student” fanfiction

9 Likes

huh.
hmm.
well.

this looks like a dream game to me like it might be the final straw to get me to buy a modern console

4 Likes

Wasn’t that basically the gist of SC6’s create-a-character story mode?

1 Like

maybe? i haven’t played that mode since the game was new, but i think you start as the student of the training mode dummy character, and you meet the other characters as you travel the world after that.

i might be wrong, though

Wasn’t looking for a full-on create-a-fighter mode really but eh hm I guess it’s happening. Aside from the electricity, I like the goofy stage hazard stuff at 2:28.

I recall Zasalamel teaching you stuff, but I could be wrong. I could google this to find out but I think it’s better to leave it as an unsolvable mystery.

Koihimeenbu is like 3 bucks on J-PSN should I a rube even bother?