melee island (fighting game club)

Good luck!!!

Follow-up to

since the Osman team had previously made a fighting game, The Karate Tournament, aka Chatan Yarakuu Shanku

The two stages with the landscape viewed past sunlit stone pillars are of course ā€œinspiredā€ by ā€œthe most popular art print of the 20th century,ā€ Daybreak by Maxfield Parrish

and some of his other stuff; that big jar in the first screenshot for instance could be from his Garden of Allah

source

Garden of Allah | Maxfield Parrish | CODA Gallery

and the game itself is pretty much based on Technos Japanā€™s Karate Champ

Giant Bomb has what seems like a pretty thorough gameplay description:

9 Likes

probably gonna be some of the fightman news during evo. Iā€™m hoping arcsys remembers that they said theyā€™d give persona rollback this summer, I kinda want to try that game.

1 Like

Personally hoping for Tekken 8 but moreso for my arms to finish rehabilitation before anything

1 Like

With Breakers and Rumblefish getting modern ports I want to see some more off the wall revivals. Like imagine if Asuka 120% Limit Over got a port with rollback.

5 Likes

thereā€™s a new asuka game in development (though we currently have no more information than this), as well as ports of the original to mega drive and switch

3 Likes

I love The Karate Tournament! Iā€™m working on something inspired by it (very slowly). I wanna put it 3D with sidestepping and improved controls.

3 Likes

= o I BPā€™d this but then I got to the part about 3D with sidestepping but eh oh well.

Crossplay coming to Strive this fall:

4 Likes

Persona 4 Arena rollback beta is live:

3 Likes

Samurai Showdown 2019 is getting a rollback patch next year and KOF15 is also getting cross platform netplay, also likely next year.

1 Like

oh boy, persona 4 is extremely a beta right now. my experience last night was some street fighter v like ā€œgetting hit with a full combo in under half a second despite the opponent being in mid-hitstunā€ stuff, and characters teleporting everywhere. either that, or tons of ā€œfailed to connectā€ messages. matchmaking is completely fucked and laggy, so you have to try and get into player lobbies and hope you can actually get in.

2 Likes

sorry to hear

respect for the kyosuke colorway though

1 Like

Bankbankā€™s 3rd Strike Widescreen romhack completed, available for download now. Lobby will be added to Fightcade soon, apparently.

3 Likes

oh how strangeā€¦ id imagine expanding the playing field like that would have some effect however subtle on balance? idk

1 Like

some Hugo wall bounce stuff doesnā€™t work the same? iirc

daaaaamn, even melty promo videos get relegated to the metaphorical bathroom

but somehow Granblueā€™s announcement of an online tournament series featuring Mike Ross for a game without rollback makes the main stage

4 Likes
2 Likes